Infected Tattoo?

Discussion in 'Tattoo, Piercings and Body Art' started by Oddyball, Nov 4, 2008.

1. #1 Oddyball, Nov 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2008
    Hey guys,

Well I got my tat done last night and it was fine. It was a pretty long session. I put some clear saran wrap on it and when I woke up it looked like my skin was soggy. So I dried it off and all day the tat has been sore and redish. But I have other tattoos and the same thing happened. Except I think it might be infected because there is this thin coat of greenish fluid on the tattoo. There are these weird bumps, but I remember my other tattoo had them after the first few days.

If it is infected and I go to the doctor do you think he can make it all ok? We used brand new needles from the package, never before used. I just hope its not infected.

Edit: I think the green coating of goo might be the ointment I'm using. It's just this kina greenish sticky stuff - my ointment is clear and sticky though - maybe it turns green when it mixes with the black ink on the top of my skin. I duno, im fucking scared.

2. As long as you have been cleaning it properly and cleaned you're arm and the equipment before hand I can see no way for it to be infected. On the other hand I know fuck all about tattoos. Good luck though man! Last pic I saw of it it was looking killer!

3. get some cleaning stuff from a tattoo shop

4. How long did yo uhave saran wrap over it? and why saran wrap? You only need a bandage for a couple hours, till the bleeding stops.

Go to the doctor, get him to check it out. Sounds like its possible to be infected, but im sure some antibacterial cream or something would definitely help.

I just got a tattoo yesterday too, but mines lookin great now, no redness, swelling, bumps...etc. sorry for the bad luck, man.

5. if it is infected u definitely wanna get it checked out asap. not becuz it could endanger ur health, i doubt thats anything to worry about. but becuz it can fuck up ur tat and make it look all retarded. faded and sketchy and shit. my friend got a $600 tat on his back and it got infected and it cost him another $250 to get the tat repaired.

6. you never use antibacterial cream on a tattoo as far as i know. you may want to have
    the doc look at it

7. That looks revolting, dude.

I hope whatever happens, man, that it gets taken care of and heals.

UGH.

8. I used saran wrap on my tattoo it don't matter BUT you're not suppose to leave it on for that damn long.. It looks... infected. :eek:

Get to the doctors before they have to cut off your arm QUICK!

9. dude that doesnt look good

10. fuck my life.

11. I agree, that really does not look good. It looks like when you were little and would swimming with scabby knees and then after an hour get out -- that's what the scabs looked like.

I would be going to get that checked out tomorrow morning, if nothing else the doctor could give you some nice cream!

12. Yeah dude definitely dosn't look good. go get that checked out.

I think it has to do with the fact that you left saran wrap on it overnight (im assuming)

softened the healing (scabbing, what have you) leaving the wound open and ready to get infected.

I have anti bacterial cream that I got from the tattoo parlour...has "Tattoo Aftercare" right on it. Just sayin.

13. Yeah leaving that saran wrap on was the main cause of it you're not suppose to only for about 1-2hours max. You're suppose to let the tat "breath" your artist is suppose to tell you this stuff if its your first too'

14. I'm so stressed. Honestly, this was the icing on the cake. My friend told me not to leave the saran wrap on it but I did like a dumb ass. I just want to crawl in a hole and fucking die. jesus christ.

15. sshhiitt.. that looks nasty shit!
    u should go check it out

plus, that tat look sick

16. Stop, you're fine. If that's what you did, you should be fine. Have you washed it with the soap they recomended?

After reading that you left the saran wrap on, that's what the problem is. You have to let the scabs dry out so they don't become infected. You may end up with some holes in your tattoo ink from this, since you shouldn't be putting lotion on the part that is moist and green ... but you can have it touched up later on.

((PS, I think that your new tattoo is pretty awesome despite the green scabs and what little I can see))

17. dont stress man. just call the doc first thing in the morning. it will be ok.
    i agree, you left on the saran too long. i have quite a few tats so i know.

18. Haha don't even worry about it you'll be alright people make mistakes just not as fucked up as yours.. LOL no im playing seriously you'll be good maybe he didnt sterilize the needle good enough just put some vitamin e lotion on it specifially lubriderm

1. An hour and a half from now remove the gauze bandage! If it sticks to the tattoo use a little warm water, moisten the gauze and pull it off slowly.

2. Purchase a tube of 'A&D Ointment.' Apply a thin coat to the tattoo 3 to 5 times a day for the next 7 to 10 days. Do not use Neosporin, hand lotion, baby oil, creams or Vaseline! NOTE; Neosporin has been known to cause allergic reactions in a healing tattoo and petroleum jelly pulls the color from a tattoo.

3. Do not take a shower or bath today! Tomorrow when you shower or bathe, do not rub soap directly into your tattoo. When the tattoo gets wet pat it dry, do not rub it dry.

4. Do not use/soak in hot tubs, sit in steam rooms or swim in fresh, salt and chlorine water for 7 to 10 days.

5. Protect the tattoo from direct sunlight, sun lamps and tanning booths for 7 to 10 days. NOTE; The body perceives the new tattoo as a 2nd degree sunburn, if it is exposed to UV rays during the healing process you could receive a 3rd degree sun burn which may lead to skin cancer.

6. The new tattoo may form a light protective crust over the top of it, do not pick this layer, let it flake off on its own.

7. A healing tattoo may itch. Do not scratch it!

8. Do not wear tight clothing over your new tattoo while it is healing. NOTE; If you wear a bra and the tattoo is in a location where the bra may rub or press into it, either go without a bra during the healing process or keep it loose. Also, please do not wear panty hose for 7 to 10 days as the tattoo will bond with the nylon.

9. Of special note to those of you who spend a lot of time in the sun. Please wear a sun block over your tattoo to help preserve the color!

10. Infections are rare but in case you do not follow our care instructions and an infection occurs, pleaseconsult your physician immediately.

11. If you experience an allergic reaction to the ointment (which will appear as small pimples around the outside of the tattoo), we recommend discontinued use of the ointment and call us immediately. Some natural alternatives for the healing of your tattoo are 'Bag Balm', pure aloe vera gel and 'Golden Salve'.

19. I don't get it.

Last year I got 3 tats from a parlor and each time my artist had me leave the saran wrap on over night. I guess the same thing happened, I've just been so stressed out with life. I literally... I'm not trying to veer off track but I have been thinking bad thoughts so much lately because of my hypocondria (worry of my health). Not suicide, but close. Just leaving, running away, disapearing, something. Then today I was so stressed because of this shit on my tat that I have been screaming at everyone, totally off my rocker. I feel like I want to just be gone from everything.

Back on topic:

I hope its not infected, my friend said its cuz I left the saran wrap on which made it soggy and shit. I guess its just red and sore cuz its new. Oh well, we'll see. :(