Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Bleeding and Weed

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Schwarzenegger, Nov 2, 2008.

1. no i didnt meant that to you guys, i meant it to appocolyptik

2. I almost cried when I read this. I thought i was the only one. I've always had a large and definitely not normal amount of blood in my stool. I've been taking all kinds of medicine for it ranging from depression pills to stomach relaxing pills. Nothing works. So I made an appointment at my local endoscopy center and i'm set to have a colonoscopy tuesday. (i'm so excited). It's already been determined that I have inflammatory bowel disease which means i most likely have a combination of crohns disease and ulcerative colitis. It sucks and anyone who has either of those knows exactly what i'm talking about. It's like you have to poop every 15 minutes. You sleep 14 hours (although you wake up all the time to go to the bathroom) and then you're STILL tired. But I've found that smoking marijuana usually calms my stomach for a few hours, so i don't have to go to the bathroom. Anyways, I hope the OP is better by now and I encourage anyone who has a similar problem to get it checked out.
    </random rant>

I don't think smoking has too much to do with blood in your stool because I've always had the problem and I haven't learned the beautiful art of smoking until a few months ago. So I don't believe it made the bleeding worse.

3. You definitely aren't alone, I can't say my situation was exactly like yours but it was pretty similar I guess. I've had IBS for the past few years now (they thought it was lactose intolerance, dad had it but it wasn't..so basically IBS)

Only time I ever had blood in stool was from hemorrhoids. Throughout High School there were days where I just couldn't go to school because it was so bad. I didn't start smoking until after I had Mono in my senior year. I had some pills for the overactive intestine and IBS which seemed to work well, unfortunately there were some side effects that were not pleasant. After smoking for a couple of months I noticed that my situation didn't seem to be as severe as it was and episodes were definitely less frequent, not completely better but certainly helped...

4. i have had crohns for 6 years and weed cures pretty much every symptom for me including bleeding, i quit taking all other meds just to prove it worked.

so idk what to tell u.

keep in mind where and to what amount u are infected may matter

5. Same here man. Ive had crohns for 5 years now and I used to be on all kinds of stupid medications, but weed fixes everything so I got off all that other shit.

6. Hey bro, I feel your pain. I just got diagnosed with Chrons last May. It's a hard realization to come to that you have a chronic condition after living a normal life. I know because I went from being an athlete running miles a day to having this disease; it's a very hard thought to process and im still accepting the fact. Weed works different for everyone, just like every other medication out there. It might work for 10 people , but not work for 2 other people. I even had quit smoking a couple months prior to getting diagnosed just to get healthier, it's almost like a maze and I can't get out, but I don't mind.

If you do indeed have UC, just be thankful you can remove your colon with one surgery if it even gets that serious..but us Chrons might have to deal with multiple surgerys.

Hope everything works out with you. :cool:

7. #27 VT_killah, Jan 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2010
    You could easily have Crohn's, I'd highly suggest getting tested for it.

I have it myself and I actually found out in a very similar way (no blood in the toilet but on the tp).

You don't need to have joint/rib/backpain at all to have Crohns. To be honest I'm not even sure where you heard that is credible, as those aren't common symptoms of Crohn's, that sounds more like rheumatory arthritis which is another autoimmune disorder that can be treated with the same medicine as Crohn's (remicade, humira, etc.).

For years I never experienced much symptoms from my Crohn's. It's actually recently taken a turn for the worst and my symptoms consist of abdominal tenderness, large loss of appetite, stomach aches etc.

By the way, the symptoms for Crohn's are vast and are completely different for many people. For example, in a couple posts above me "cor3yy" described a very common symptom of Crohn's, which is uncontrollable feelings of having to go to the bathroom. I have never experienced this side of Crohn's, mine is more or less just associated with pain and a drastic loss of appetite.

8. Don't eat an overabundance of fiber and ease off the spicy food.

I have colitis & IBS, the OP's symptoms sound identical to what I had when I was first diagnosed with them, but I have since gotten a grip on the symptoms.

Weed is most certainly not the cause. Out of curiosity, do you take any other medication or supplements?

I was told that Accutane (which has since been discontinued) could have been the cause for my stomach issues. :confused_2:

9. #29 JoeZombie, Jan 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2010
    wow that sucks...good luck op and i hope you feel better...off topic, ive been nauseated/vomiting/dry heaving/no appetite for the last three weeks, doc says i have gastritis, also had some blood in my stool and on tp. Only way ive been able to eat and manage my nausea has been with marijuana and im pretty amazed at how well it works as ive never had to test marijuana on nausea before. Cant belive i can get fined or possible jail time for the only medicine thats gotten me thru this crap.

edit: Right when i start to get high, i know my heart rate increases alot. If you had a cut/wound externally/internally that was already bleeding could this increase in heartrate cause an increase in blood loss? That question is just a possible theory which i dont really back up in any way, just a thought. im really high right now and nausea free so i dont know if that makes any sense at all. But i dont think marijuana will cause your existing problem to get worse op.

10. Hey everyone! Just want to make one thing clear right off the bat, I love weed. It completes me in so many ways, but I am a realist and there are drawbacks to it, those drawbacks and negative side effects have a very wide range and are experienced differently for everyone just as the benefits are.

I have obsessive disorder (not ocd) and weed cures that for me, I also have insomnia, weed cures that for me as well. I've smoked every strain under the sun and never have I experienced any type of pain relief from weed, I have a bulging disc in my neck as well as acl, mcl, and meniscus tears in my left knee that had required surgery and still have painfull flair ups. a lot of people do report that weed helps mitigate their pain, this is one way that I know that the effects even of an identical strain effect different people in different ways.

Now on to the topic. I've been a hardcore pothead for about 17 years, about 10 years ago I started having mostly runny stools with occasional blood in them. I went to the doctor because I was scared out of my mind that it could be cancer. the doctor confirmed that there was no way it was cancer and gave me a diagnosis of crohns disease. so I didn't care all that much and just continued with my diet and weed use exactly as I had been. about 5 years ago the bleeding became very persistant, with every still runny bowel movement the toilet water would be a deep crimson, lots of blood with every movement, ive always eaten a lot of protein and my body assimilates it well so I never had a problem with my hemoglobin or red blood cell count. for the last two years I have been experimenting with my weed use to see how it effects this condition. when I stop smoking the bleeding stops for like 3 days then resumes, then when I start smoking again the bleeding stops for about 3 days then resumes. during this two years I had never stopped smoking for more than two weeks at a time. recently I quit smoking weed all together because my children are toddlers now and starting to understand. again the same thing happened for 3 days the bleeding subsided (one added note through all of this the runny stools never stopped) then the bleeding resumed for about a month, then surprisingly after a month the bleeding completely stopped, and I took my first solid shit in 10 years, its been 6 months now and the bleeding hasn't returned and my bowel movements are mostly solid.

I want to make one thing very clear I'm not saying that if you habitually smoke weed you will start bleeding rectally, I'm saying it effects everyone differently and 90% of your serotonin is in your gi tract which weed effects greatly, for my specific body chemistry, weed does seem to be the cause of the bleeding I was experiencing

11. #31 razorcereal, Dec 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2014

Hey people!

I believe cannabis does cause bleeding through its anticoagulant (see reference) (inhibits blood clotting) effect.

Over the past year, for reasons too long to get into, I have had stents in the tube between my left kidney and bladder. It is normal for them to scratch this tube (ureter) a bit, and cause a small amount of blood to pass in my urine. The body can clot the bleeding, so it's normally not that substantial. However, I noticed, when and only when I vaped weed, would it bleed more. Here's the interesting part - if I did little movement that day (eg sat in a chair most of the day) I would not pass blood, and might only pass a small amount of blood if I vaporized. However, if I walked more than a couple of kilometres, I would pass a clear red urine stream, which would be significantly darker if I vaped that day.

My reasoning, supported in part by the anticoagulant effect of components of cannabis, is that these cannabinoids inhibited my body's ability to clot the inevitable scratches that would occur from movement. The greater the extent of the initial bleed, the greater the extent of the aggravated bleeding from vaping.

To you guys, you could expand from this. It is normal for the rare scratch to occur in your colon when passing stools from factors like undigested seeds or low fiber diets, or other bowel issues. Perhaps cannabis is preventing the clotting that would occur, resulting in more bleeds? You could apply this to a broad range of situations.

When I'm feeling better (after my last surgery in a few weeks) I'll try make a few small (sterilised) cuts around areas of high blood flow, comparing the bleeding extent and rough clot times when using and not using cannabis. I'll update this when I do.

Reference:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16644197 (I just googled "cannabis anticoagulant" due to suspicions)

12. I only use edibles or at least cannabutter in tea in the afternoons and evening/bedtime. Has helped with sleeping, stress, less pain and cramping and diarrhea incl bloody diarrhea. Less stiff and sore in the morn ing too. I also used to wake up in the night with horrible cramping and multiple trips to the bathroom just to quit and get to sleep an hour or so before i had to get up for work. Hated that. And the sweating and doubling over in pain or passing out on the floor nice cold bathroom floor

Sent from my SCH-R740C using Grasscity Forum mobile app

13. I see blood when I have swollen hemmeroids. It's gross. Sometimes the blood soaks through my boxers right onto my levis. It's embarrassing. Wait till you hit the age of 50 you will know what shitting blood is all about.

14. Sorry to bump this old thread, but I wanted to share my story on this topic as well.

I am currently 40 years old and started tokin' when I was 16. I consider myself a pothead, through and through (had a dealer-friend back in the day call me a resin head, lol). At my heaviest I was smoking about an ounce a week (back in my 20's) but these days, I can usually make a quarter stretch about a month (a puff at 4:20am before getting ready for work, a puff when I get home, and then a few more puffs throughout the evening).

Of course, I've smoked on and off through the years. (4 years off was my longest break). These days I don't have a steady connection. Being a father of 7 kids and holding down a really good job, I don't have the time nor desire to play "the dope game" anymore. So usually its a roadtrip once or twice a year to someplace where it's recreational. With that all being said....

Last year I started having rectal bleeding. The first time is happened was while at work. I didn't even defecate, just urinated (I sit when I urinate if I'm in a private bathroom because I have terrible aim and having piss around the toilet is majorly disgusting) and when I got up and went to flush the toilet was bright red; looked like I poured a packet cherry kool-aid in the toilet. No pain, nothing.

About 6 months later I started having rectal pain which progressively got worse. Talked to my doctor; he ordered a TON of lab work and gave me a referral for the gastroentologist. The lab drew 14 vials of blood and the GI doctor scheduled me for a coloscopy.

The lab work was clear. No hypothyroidism, no food allergies, no Celiac (which is surprising because I am gluten intolerant). The coloscopy was clear as well. I thought for sure I would be looking at IBD or Crohn's. No fissures, mild hemorrhoids, one benign pollup. The doc told he that I had "a beautiful colon" and wouldn't need another until at least 50. Everything checked out. Still, the bleeding persisted yet was on and off. Again, no pain since my colonoscopy. The bleeding is quite significant when it occurs, and is ALWAYS bright red (fresh blood).

So I started taking note of when I bleed and when I don't, and you know what I found?

My bleeding stops when I start toking. My bleeding starts when I stop toking. Without fail. I stopped toking last week and yesterday the bleeding started again.

Its pretty consistent, more so than just a mere coincidence.

I don't want to tell my doc, always afraid of being blamed for "seeking" and even if I could get a card I don't want my name to be on Deptartment of Homeland Security's list (they get a list of all registered Medical Marijuana users). Plus, I am an Adult Child of an Alcoholic and just started going through counselling and the ACoC program, so part of that is the elimination of "substances". I guess I'm going to have to deal with this constant bleeding for an indefinite amount of time.

Just wanted to share / vent in case my story is helpful for someone else.