Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Throat swells up sometimes after vaping??

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by homerow, Nov 1, 2008.

1. I've been smoking for a bit, but less than a year. Anyways, in the past I have had issues w/ throat irritation after smoking every day. I cured this by getting a vaporizer, one that is similar in concept as the Volcano. I take in a couple bags full of vape a night, but recently have been having some issues. Last night, for the 2nd time in a week or so, the vapor caused some sort of irritation that made it feel like my throat was almost swollen shut.

Here's what happened:
    1. Inhaled a full bag of fresh vapor, not all at once, but in a short amount of time (a few minutes maybe).
    2. Some sort of irritation occurred and I ended up coughing a few times. I don't think I'm vaping it at too high or low of a temp, but I don't really know. Its set at 373 degrees F.
    3. A little bit after the coughing fit, breathing becomes a challenge, particularly deep breathes. I also was wheezing quite loudly. This went away after about 30 minutes or so. Drinking water did not seem to help it.

I never felt like I was truly in any danger of suffocating, but it seemed like it wouldn't have been too far off from having this happen. Has anyone else had this happen, or have any ideas of what is causing this? I've been smoking on this batch of weed I have for a couple weeks at least, so I doubt its something in the weed, but this is just a guess. Allergies?

Thx in advance

2. That sucks, man. Have you had any problems with asthma in the past? I don't know if asthma could produce that kind of feeling, but maybe it could?

Did it also involve severe dry mouth? Sometimes when I get really bad dry mouth, I find that it will continue to progress, even after consuming lots of liquids, to a point where I feel my mouth and throat is so dry my throat begins to have the sensation that it is closing up and it is VERY uncomfortable. I've never felt out of breath as a result of this, though.

I've never vaped, though. I ordered a vaporizer yesterday, actually. I get this problem from smoking with a pipe.

3. Was the vapor really thick, or was it a light barely visible mist?

4. sounds like asthma to me.

i would kno i had chrinic astma when i was a kid go see a doc to get urself checked out for asthma.

if you do have asthma they should give you some type of inhaler after smoking use you inhaler and you should be golden.:smoking:

5. 1. I've never had asthma, or any kind of other breathing problems, other than just being out of shape :eek: I'm 28, can it develop later on in life?

2. The mist was pretty thick. I can see through it, but not real easily. Its like this on the first vape of a small batch (bowl? what's the term for the amount you put in a vaporizer?) each time.

3. I read that mold thread and checked out some of my stuff and it looks alright, but I'm going to check again.

Both times this has happened, it also kind of felt like I had a hair or something in my throat. Kind of hard to explain, but I've had this feeling many times w/o anything else coming of it.

6. #7 RepentYeNbelievethegospel, Nov 2, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
    Try lowering the temperature a bit maybe? it definatly couldnt hurt and also you might be burning it. If its of good quality then you shouldnt be having problems, vaporizers are pretty simple once you learn how to use them correctly.
    Also when you exhale a big cloud of 'vapor' does it linger in the air? It should be a white mist that dissapears quickly. Try turning the temperature down and try taking smaller hits over a longer period of time.

7. I have felt the "hair"-in-your-throat feeling for sure! Maybe a few times after using a pipe. No idea what it is. I don't think I really ever feel out of breath, though.

8. I'm asthmatic too, sounds like the same problem I have when I'm smoking hash.......it leaves a film in your throat, and after smoking about a 1/2oz, I'll end up couching up black shit........whaen you breath in do you feel kinda like only one lung is working, or you just can't breath in as much air as you usually can?...........and yes you can develop it later in life too............and some people who had it as kids can be fine, till like they're in their 20-30's and it comes back...........Peace out..........Sid

9. 373 degrees is too high try 280 - 300

10. Hey just thought I'd post in case anyone came across this later on. Didn't want anyone to think I died from this or anything hehe. It hasn't happened since I posted this, but I've had it where I was wheezing quite obviously, but not nearly as bad as when the throat nearly closes. I'm guessing its just some sort of reaction to the THC sometimes or something. I'll ask my doctor about it next time I go, but I don't plan on making any special trips for this unless it starts back up. Thanks for all the replies guys. Happy Thanksgiving :smoke::smoke::smoke:

11. also, i heard of some cheap vapes breaking and burning small amounts of their plastic. But if you mist doesnt look noticably thicker idunno what it could be.

12. The vape will cause less irritation.

“The new study used a gas chromatograph mass spectrometer (GCMS) to examine the gas components of the vapor. .The analysis showed that the Volcano® vapor was remarkably clean, consisting 95% of THC with traces of cannabinol (CBN), another cannabinoid. The remaining 5% consisted of small amounts of three other components: one suspected cannabinoid relative, one suspected PAH, and caryophyllene, a fragrant oil in cannabis and other plants. In contrast over 111 different components appeared in the gas of the combusted smoke, including a half dozen known PAHs. Non-cannabinoids accounted for as much as 88% of the total gas content of the smoke.”
    Source: http://www.canorml.org/healthfacts/vaporizerstudy2.html