Beware of Volcano bongs!!!

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by MoltoStanco, Oct 22, 2008.

1. To clarify: This is not about the vaporizer company. I've got nothing bad to say about them.

Alright, so this past May, I picked up a huge triple-perc tube from a local shop that I trusted extremely well, and even had a friend working there at the time hook me up with a discount on it. About two weeks after I got it, a drunk friend slammed it down on the ground at an angle, breaking the base. I found that a flaw in the base was likely the reason it broke so easily, something I was not too happy about. However, as it was a straight tube, only part of the base broke. It still hit perfectly. It ripped great.

When I was moving into school at the start of the semester, I had it in a heavy duty bag, fully closed. I went to move the bag, gently setting it on the tile floor of my room. Right as I put it down, I heard glass shattering, and opened it to reveal that either one or two of the branch percs had snapped right off on every level. The only time that the smoke went through water was from the downstem.

After doing a good amount of research into the Volcano glass brand, here is what I have found.
    -They are not associated with the company that produces the Volcano vaporizer.
    -Though the tubes are made in America, the "factory" is more of a sweatshop, using mostly illegal immigrants. Quality control is non-existent. The shop I got it from no longer carries the branch percs, as they have a long record of breaking.
    -The tubes are cheap as shit from Volcano. I found out that the shop I got it from was marking up single-perc beaker bottoms that they paid just under $60 for up to $250. I completely understand the way a business works, and perhaps this is just my local shop, but that pissed me off to find out.

In conclusion, their glass is, for the most part, total shit. I've talked to plenty of people who've bought them and heard nothing good, and even more horror stories from the guys at the shop I got mine from.

Sorry for the long post, but they're an awful glass company, and their tubes should be avoided like the plague.

2. What did you expect? Volcano bong? Most of these bong brands that come out of no where are garbage constructed mostly of cheap imported glass from china. These are no where near the quality of a roor. There is a reason a roor quad chamber will cost like 600 and the volcano cost 250.

3. so let me get this straight

your bong was smashed to the ground....broke but was still functional and you blame this on someone else?????????

now after the bong was broken (WEAK GLASS) you managed to put it on the floor which you probebly did but right on the soft spot and it broke the bong...now you blame someone else?

the same thing will happen to you with an SG, TORO or ROOR...glass is glass...its fragile!

4. read the OP's first post before you decide to be a jackass

his drink friend slammed the base down and broke that, but the bong still would rip

when he set down the bong, he said the branches of the tree percs broke. that is nowhere near the same part of the bong that would have been weakened from the first hit

5. that sucks but atleast youknow the shop aint tryin to do no one wrong and sell them that shit and the proof for that is they dont carry it no more so lucky u u got a good shopping place:D

6. I don't think that he was being a jackass at all, more stating the obvious. He should be mad at the drunk friend that slammed the bong on the ground the wrong way. That hit could have done more damage than he could see. The OP also could have "set" the bong down a little harder than he stated.

7. Oh no doubt I was obviously somewhat to blame. Up until I learned the new stuff about the company, I was just kind of pissed with myself. I've learned a lot about glass since then, and have upgraded in quality and take much better care of my stuff. Just trying to warn people of a company that has little too no quality control, and to be careful.

8. buy a hurricane. i promise you won't be disappointed.

in fact, youtube "hurricane test" or "hurricane thrown" or something. you'll be impressed.

9. i just youtubed it thats pretty crazy... id like to see it thrown with water tho. yeah its messy but that extra weight could make a difference.

might have to get one of those

10. That sucks but if you slam any bong on the ground what do you expect? i just got myself a nice 12'' volcano bong, ive heard lots of bad stuff about them but its pretty sick, it has perk, ice catcher and ash catcher ive dropped it once and it stood up to it exeptionally, maybe i just got a good one but i have nothing bad to say about volcano bongs =]

11. i just bought a volcano bong for 120 it's pretty sick. but yeah the glass is thick, and i have already broken a downstem but that was cuz i was stoned. shit hits like a champ

12. read the OP's first post before you decide to be a jackass
    [/QUOTE]

Not to be a jackass but I do believe that breaking part of pretty much anything glass will weaken the whole object due to fractures that spread through the whole thing. You may not even see them but this is simple physics. The impact is absorbed by the whole piece and would make it weak. Blame your drunk friend and worthless alcohol for the incident.

I have a gong single perc that has lasted a long time. It's china shit glass but I take care of it.

13. I have a similar story, I am good friends with the shop owner at the shop I go to I get tons of mark downs, but on my girlfriend at the times birthday i went out and bought us a new bong. I was living in the moment you can say and saw this triple perc tube. It was marked at 240 and got it for 200 and a slide cuz the one that came with a bus woulnt even block the hole in it. So anyways after having about 15 sess. with it I noticed it started vibration more and more come to find out the joint crack all the way around still intack but cracked all the way around the seam. Since i know the shop owner I called him up told him the story he said take some pics and bring it in and if it fit in his kiln then he would reenforce the crap out of the seam. well it didnt fit and it was still air tight so he decide to keep it for him self and give me a roor for 20 dollars. And got it on 4/20 it was such a nice gift well gift that cost 20 bucks but still i wasnt out my other 200 which was nice, but sadly about 3 weeks later my stash jar took out the beaker. The shitty bong was a LEAF dont buy imo. Sorry for the story but I find that this must happen to so many people, if you go in to a head shop and see a bunch of tubes with brand names down them it doesnt mean they are all good. But now i got two tubes that the shop owner and his buddy blew. Real think glass and it only takes a little pull to clear it.

14. dude, Ive had art glass, name brand (hurricane, roor, phx, skyglass, graffix), non name brand, and custom made glass, and it all breaks. Sure my mini Roor was sturdiest but it also had a $350 price tag for 10-12" of glass with a reinforced perc. BUT, for $150 I got a sick, double perced ice notched 3piece A/C 2 footer and you know what? Until Im wiping my ass with hundreds im going non name brand cause at the end of the day they both broke and im yet to have a bong last me more then a year, ten years of smoking deep.

15. So check it out, I buy glass for a pipe shop in the midwest. This thread is pretty split up and has as many solid statements as it does crazy and outlandish rumors being spat about by people with opinions backed not by knowledge, simply hearsay and a tendency to believe anything!
    The fact is this kid bought a low quality waterpipe and got screwed by who he thought was his friend in getting railed on price. I carry King Volcano and a single perc beaker runs about 100 retail. Hell, the most expensive is 220 for a triple tree beaker with colored percs. Someone had a great point in realizing that glass is susceptible to vibration, every time your dumbass friends tap it with a lighter, they are doing their part in destroying your beloved piece, of course it eventually broke after some drunken idiot choke slammed it!

MY POINT BEING...
    Don't get mad and trash a company name just because YOU didn't do Your homework, got raped by a so called "Friend", and hang out with people who aren't responsible enough to handle your belongings drunk or not! BEWARE OF AMATEUR CONSUMERS!

Collection (Shortened version to save text and time!):
    Roor, King Volcano single perc, Amsterdam Design Studios, JetPipe, 5150 Triple Perc, Incredibowl (both sizes), Andy D, Thackery, Herb Iron, Model 419

16. PS I dont want to offend anyone, I just see stuff like this everyday and it is near time to eradicate consumer misdirection and misconception.

17. Lol fuck that.
    I have a double perc + ice catcher King Volcano and I've hit it so many times it's still in fantastic shape.

18. To Santi,
    That's exactly my point they brand name is fine... the kid complaining is the problem

19. your literally a dumbshit have you ever had a volcano??? i dont think so. noone get one ive broken a supposebly "5mm" 2 footer by simly hitting it with my elbow. when you spend 400-600 on a roor theres alot less of a chance this wont happen

20. I bought a King Volcano bong recently and it has fallen off my table multiple times and hasnt had any problems :) its a glass on glass single perc and hits pretty well. I had never heard of king bongs before so i thought id give it a try. It also had this weird style of perc i hadnt seen before, it was like a tube within a tube and had 3 hole at the bottom and the smoke is really smooth.