How to: Cheap, Easy, Efficient - DIY Carbon Scrubber

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by nugglord_420, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Where can a guy get a desent in line fan? All I seem to be able to find are heater fans.

2. Computer "case" fans work great. You do have to do a little wire splicing to get them wired up to an A/C adapter but it's really simple. You can get "ball-bearing" computer fans (a.k.a. the nice ones) that will last forever and be almost silent. Tigerdirect.com has a great selection of computer case fans that are dual ball-bearing.

I did a writeup on how to wire them up to an A/C adapter in another thread

3. Is this still working out for you? Does it continue to control your smell issues?

4. Yeah it's still going pretty strong, I'd probably give it another 2 weeks before the smell starts to creep out...

This of course depends on how much carbon you put into the filter. For instance I filled it about 2-3" deep, which is about a quarter of my original container. ($5.00 at Wal Mart). Keep the rest of your carbon on hand if things start to smell a little bit, and you should be good. :)

5. Cool, thanks for responding so quickly!

I love your drying/curing sticky in the Harvest section BTW :D

Odor control issues plagued my first grow (which was harvested this past Friday). Before I ever grow again I'm going to need to come up with something reliable. I love DIY stuff and grow on a small scale, so I really don't want to have to bite the bullet and spend gobbs of money on professional equipment.

Anyway, thanks again :cool:

6. Yeah man, no problem at all! Stay safe and stay green!

7. Its just for extra protection. To make sure you dont lose any charcoal

8. Great tutorial
    Just constructed one for myself +rep

9. You can try putting that on a fan, but it's not going to get all of the odor out. The ionic air purifier will take some of the smell away, but a lot of people say that it damages trichomes. I would look at setting up a ventilation system, at the very minimum you'll need a fan and 2 holes in your cabinet. If you're growing in a closet... well that's going to be more tricky.

10. Sure, that might help fight odors...

BUT

You need proper air circulation if you want your plants to grow. If you've got one or two, you might get away with opening the door for a couple hours, but if you don't have air moving around through there, the plants are going to suffocate.

11. how many plants do you have flowering at once in order to achieve this 3/4 oz per two weeks?
    what type of scheduale is it?(ie. put two more plants in once every two weeks, or one plant per week?

the reason i am asking is that i go through abou the same amount ( 1-2 grs/day or between a qrt and a half/ wk) so i would like to know how many plants i should roughly have to get going to maintain that amount.

12. BTW I have noticed the charcoal you used is from Mal-Wart, I was just recently at the Pet Supply store and noticed that they have about 5 different kinds of charcoal in bigger containers and cheaper than that stuff.

Also your pushing the air through your filter? It should get more cfms by pulling. But that is still the cheapest easiest filter I have seen yet! I made mine with 1/4 inch steel screen and 6 inch duct caps and a 6 to 4 inch downsize duct pieces and pantyhose.

The other odor control device I have been looking at is the Odor Neutralizing Agent and the polymer balls in a bucket with a fan method.

I actually wondered about buying a bag of plain grill charcoal too and crushing it up and using that. But it seems more trouble than its worth.

13. I have 24 small clones in the flower box at any given time. 6 go in every two weeks, while 6 come out. Perpetual harvest. :D

The Pet Supply in the plaza? I'll definitely check that out, thanks for the heads up!

Now that I think about it... my fan is pulling air through my cab, then pushing it through the filter - but it works and I don't feel like rewiring the whole box. :p Thanks for the advice though, man!

I'd definitely say that grinding grill charcoal isn't worth the time. Is it even 'activated'?

14. yes near the Kmart.

The charcoal thing was just some weird idea I had, but then I found Pet supply plus.
    Good pump prices, air stones etc. And they have UVB lights for reptiles. I was interested in running the experiment to see if they do indeed create more trichomes.

15. 6 plants every 2 weeks comes to 21 grams....not bad at all.

SO if im not mistaken thats roughly and eigth per plant?

Im not sure whether i want to do as many small plants as possible and just do 12/12 from seed or to veg like 4 plants for a couple weeks. LST the hell outa them to fill horizonetl space, and then throw a screen on before flower.

i think just a few plants would probably be much easier, and im eager to try to train them to be as short as possible, below 6 inches if i can. 8 to ten is as tall as i want them.

,,,, decisions decions

16. Well if you want to do the perpetual harvest...

here's a link http://forum.grasscity.com/advanced...o-contact-grow-store-3-4oz-more-per-week.html

My setup is pretty much a clone of the Dr's.

17. man, this is a great and easy carbon scrubber setup. I'm building a box slightly bigger than yours and I'm gonna use the same setup but without the large exhaust ducting. I'm gonna run a medium sized computer fan for the exhuast and a 3" pvc elbow after that, and then the CS. Nice idea.

18. I made this, and yup it was easy. I think I may have put too much carbon in it, maybe because it didn't seem like there was enough air flowing out of it. I'm using an 80 cfm, but I used that flexible dryer ducting because of how it's set up. When I woke up the next morning after installing it, I was sitll concerned about the lack of air flow. I felt where the dryer tube thingy and the fan met and I think it was way too hot. The temp in the tent was also pretty high so I took it apart for now. Just looking for some insight or suggestions. I didn't want to leave it like that.