How to graft Hops and Cannabis together. This is simply amazing!

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Abel1337, Oct 7, 2008.

1. I read up on this a little bit ago and refreshed my memory about it. It involves the advanced technique of grafting hops to any given cannabis plant. Thanks is appreciated, enjoy:
    [​IMG]1.) Construct or procure a large flat bed no less than six inches deep and fill nearly to the top with good soil which has an acidity between pH 5 and 7. Work in some manure, but not too much, and do not use any high nitrogen chemical fertilizers as this will lessen survival chances of the grafts.
    or
    Use flower pots and follow the same soil and depth requirements described above
    or
    Use the site on which you plan to grow your pot-hop vines
    or
    If you wish to attempt this project in a hydroponic growing table use a moderate nitrogen formula. HYPONEX is fine. If you mix your own nutrient use a preparation similar to Formula B described in the article on hydrophonics in this manual. Do not use formula A or C at this time or your grafts may perish.

2.) Having chosen one of these growing places, plant seeds from the very best marijuana you can get your hands on. Highest quality Michoacan, Panama Red, Vietnam or Acapulco Gold are preferred. Because of environmental influences any of these are likely to be natural triploid, or tetraploid varieties, that is, they may have one or two extra sets of chromosomes. Such mutants not only produce more resin, but are also larger, healthier and more likely to survive grafting.

3). As the plants grow weed out the inferior ones which tend to crowd the others. By 45 days from the time of planting they should be spaced about the ten inches apart, or one to a flower pot.

4). At the same time that you start the marijuana also plant hop seeds. Choose one of the several polyploid varieties available at most seed houses. Follow the same soil and planting instructions as for marijuana.

5). When the plants are 45 days old lay some kind of marker (a toothpick or matchstick will do) at the base of the marijuana plant parellel to the cotyledons (the unserrated first leaves that came out of the seed). With a single-edge razor blade sever these plants below the cotyledons, about an inch and a half above the ground (Fig. 1). Discard or smoke the upper portions of the plants.

6). Sever all of the hop plants at approximately the same point. Make sure that at least an inch of stem extends below the cotyledons to the point of severance. Uproot and discard the lower portion of these plants.

7). Split each marijuana stem about 1/2 inch downward from the point of severance. Make this split perpendicular to the marker which represents the directions in which the cotyledons extended from the stem (Fig 2).

8). Cut a slant about 1/2 long at the base of each hop stem. Make the cut perpendicular to the cotyledons of the hop scion (Fig 3).

9). Insert the hop scion into the split in the marijuana stock so that the slanted wedgewound of the hop makes direct contact with one side of the split-wound in the marijuana. Allow about 1/16 inch of the hop's slanted wound to show above the severance point of the marijuana stock.

10). Bind the graft with flat grafting raffia about midway between the top and bottom of the split.

11). Smear graft sealer around the wound. Graft sealer and binding raffia are available from most nurseries.

12). Allow the wound dressing to remain on the plants for about ten days. During this time be sure the plants receive adequate water and are not exposed to the hot sun for long periods. TRANSPLANTONE can be added to the first water to lessen the shock of the graft.

13). After ten days remove the dressing. The surgery should now be satisfactorily healed.

14). After an additional ten days the "hop" vine may be transplanted to its final growing site. The vines should be planted at least four feet apart and given a fence or preferably an arbor on which to climb. The leaves can be harvested, dried, and smoked in the same manner as marijuana.

It is not my place to advise whether or not you would be breaking the law by owning cannabinated hop vines. No such case has ever been tested in the courts. It is inlikely that narcotics agents woukld ever discover your secret and if they did it is very possible that you would eventually win your case. But this could be costly and time consuming. The hassle of standing trial can in many ways be worse than the penalty. Also bear in mind that it is illegal in the United States to grow the marijuana seedlings required in making this graft. The hops fruit is used in beermaking as a flavoring. If any readers are interested in home brewing they might try the fruit of "potted" hops for a unique experience in beer drinking. Those who do are warned that beer also contains the toxin alcohol.

2. Just did a little research and found this to be a myth.

"One of the most persistent myths in marijuana lore concerns grafting Cannabis to its closest relative. Humulus, the hops plant of beer-making fame. The myth is that a hops scion (shoot or top portion of the stem) grafted to a marijuana stock (lower stem and root) will contain the active ingredients of marijuana. The beauty of such a graft is that it would be difficult to identify as marijuana and, possible, the plant would not be covered under marijuana statutes. Unfortunately, the myth is false. It is possible to successfully graft Cannabis with Humulus, but the hops portion will not contain any cannabinoids.

In 1975, the research team of Crombie and Crombie grafted hops scions on Cannabis stocks from both hemp and marijuana (Thailand) plants 205. Cannabis scions were also grafted to hops stocks. In both cases, the Cannabis portion of the graft continued to produce its characteristic amounts of cannabinoids when compared to ungrafted controls, but the hops portions of the grafts contained no cannabinoids. This experiment was well-designed and carried out. Sophisticated methods were used for detecting THC, THCV, CBD, CBC, CBN, and CBG. Yet none of these were detected in the hops portions.

The grafting myth grew out of work by H.E. Warmke, which was carried out for the government during the early 1940's in an attempt to develop hemp strains that would not contain the "undesirable" drug 58. The testing procedure for the active ingredients was crude. Small animals, such as the water flea Daphnia, were immersed in water with various concentration of acetone extracts from hemp. The strength of the drug was estimated by the number of animals killed in a given period of time. As stated by Warmke, "The Daphnia assay is not specific for the marijuana drug ... once measures any and all toxic substances in hemp (or hop) leaves that are extracted with acetone, whether or not these have specific marijuana activity." Clearly it was other compounds, not cannabinoids, that were detected in these grafting experiments.

Unfortunately, this myth has caused some growers to waste a lot of time and effort in raising a worthless stash of hops leaves. It has also leg growers to some false conclusions about the plant. For instance, if the hops scion contains cannabinoids, the reasonable assumption is that the cannabinoids are being produced in the Cannabis part and translocated to the hops scion, or that the Cannabis root or stem is responsible for producing the cannabinoids precursors.

From this assumption, growers also get the idea that the resin is flowing in the plant. The myth has bolstered the ideas that cutting, splitting, or bending the stem will send the resin up the plant or prevent the resin from going down the plant. As explained in our discussion of resin glands in section 2, these ideas are erroneous. Only a small percentage of the cannabinoids are present in the internal tissues (laticiferous cells) of the plant. Almost all the cannabinoids are contained and manufactured in the resin glands, which cover the outer surfaces of the above-ground plant parts. Cannabinoids remain in the resin glands and are not translocated to other plant parts.

We have heard several claims that leaves from hops grafted on marijuana were psychoactive. Only one such case claimed to be first hand, and we never did see or smoke the material. We doubt these claims. Hops plants do have resin glands similar to those on marijuana, and many of the substances that make up the resin are common to both plants. But of several species and many varieties of hops tested with modern techniques for detecting cannabinoids, no cannabinoids have ever been detected 212.

The commercially valuable component of hops is lupulin, a mildly psychoactive substance used to make beer. To our knowledge, no other known psychoactive substances has been isolated from hops. But since these grafting claims persist, perhaps pot-heads should take a closer look at the hops plant.

Most growers who have tried grafting Cannabis and Humulus are unsuccessful. Compared to many plants, Cannabis does not take grafts easily. Most of the standard grafting techniques you've probably seen for grafting Cannabis simply don't work. For example, at the University of Mississippi, researchers failed to get one successful graft from the sixty that were attempted between Cannabis and Humulus. A method that works about 40 percent of the time is as follows. (Adapted from 205)

Start the hops plants one to two weeks before the marijuana plants. Plant the seeds within six inches of each other or start them in separate six-inch pots. The plants are ready to graft when the seedling are strong (about five and four weeks respectively) but their stem has not lost their soft texture. Make a diagonal incision about halfway through each stem at approximate the same levels (hops is a vine). Insert the cut portions into each other. Seal the graft with cellulose tape, wound string, or other standard grafting materials. In about two weeks, the graft will have taken. Then cut away the unwanted Cannabis top and the hops bottom to complete the graft. Good luck, but don't expect to get high from the hops leaves. {Smoking any plant's leaves will give a short, slight buzz.}"

www.dutchganja.com

3. wow guess i got owned then

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. looks like it.
    where was your info from?

5. A marijuana stock stuck on a hope vine? I have grown both and I cant see it happening. A bud vine will wall off of a vine. Also you usually get rhizomes for hops and not seeds... but this is just a guess with no scientific background

6. ä (3).jpg

cana (82).jpg

100_0311.jpg

000_0024.jpg

100_0288.JPG grafting hop of cannabis is very simple,and cannabis of jap.hop.you can do it.
    marry chrismas

7. bump..
    interesting thread i wanna see more pics

8. ...zing...

9. Good God. Somebody stop me if i'm outta line here but why the hell would anyone wanna graft hops as the scion (aka top half)? From this you will get nothing but a small pathetic hops vine, as hops is perennial, the annual vine relies on a long lived root system. In temperate regions, cannabis is annual, and must grow a new plant (including roots) each year. Also, Hort 101: In a successful graft, the scion retains its qualities and regardless of the rootstock. You put what you want to harvest on top, not on bottom! Roots are for suckin' water.
    On the the other hand, by grafting a cannabis scion to an established hops rootstock outdoors, you may be able to produce a cannabis plant with far more vigor and growth than any started from seed or rooted clone. In theory, the plant would not have to worry much about root growth and could focus simply on stems, leaves and flowers. the problem is with compatibilities, some unions of species will have better or worse success rates, but overall most grafts are between plants of the same genus, unlike these two.
    In warm climates cannabis plants can grow to great sizes, but in the north country they may only have a few months each year to complete their cycle. If someone could grow a 15 foot cannabis tree in michigan, i'd love to see it. Or even just a successful graft.

10. The only point of grafting these two plants together is to take advantage of the perennial root system of the hops plant to create an equally old cannabis top. I am currently testing out a graft technique that might prove successful. I will post pictures ASAP

11. jap.hops graft of cannabis
    that is the plant from the storry WARMKE
    I HAVE MAKE A NEW GRAFTING
    JU MUST MAKE A HYBRIED
    POLLEN POLYPLOIED FROM CANNABISPLANT OF JAP.HOPS:

THIS GENERATIONS
    GRAFTING OF CANNABIS PRODUZIERT IN THE BUDS THC
    IT IS VERRY SIMMPLE WORK
    GOOD LUCK

12. I'm just wondering what good it would do us, though...

Not that I dont find it interesting too....

jerry.

13. Nice work, but would the cannabis content be the same on the cannabis side of the plant

14. #15 anymouse, Apr 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2011
    Abel1337, why would you type this? I'm guessing from your name that you're in middle school and haven't smoked any cannabis to know that it's the trichomes in the flowers (hence the name bud) that are being smoked and not a product of the roots or stems. Don't you wonder why nobody ever said "hey wanna go smoke some root later?" or "I picked out all the buds so all that's left are the good stems and leaves."

Anyway, doing it in the correct way with hops as the base would be pretty cool if you're a brewer and grow your own hops. Just graft a few cuttings from your mother onto a few of your hops crop in the yard and you'll have 1 or 2 buds growing on every other plant which would be invisible from the air and barely noticeable on the ground to the untrained eye. Enough yield for personal use off a small hops cropp and they grow in the sun in your yard on the cheap and are hard to spot if you have a fence at least 30' away. Even then you could just do it to the inner most hops and leave the outer ones alone.
    I only wish there were a full sized tree in the same family as cannabis... hmm...

After checking Wikipedia there are actually 2 trees in the cannabaceae family and my tree thought has upgraded from joke to curious mind wandering.

Does anybody by chance have Celtis occidentalis (hackberry or nettle tree) in their yard, too much spare time, and some mothers that produce too many cuttings for the grow area?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. i would love to brew some beer with buds, but i don't think i could ever make myself do it, i just love smoking too much. i'm sure people have tried it before, but has anyone actually tried any or had a friend do it?

16. Anyone have the money to try somatic fusion? (look it up)

17. I am also interested to see if its even possible. Maybe replace the hops with cannabis ?

18. a quick Google, got me dozens of recipes.....