Welcome to Grasscity Forums - Register now for FREE
Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute.
Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Create an Account

Homemade Glass Bong from Vase (Lots of Pics + How To)

• Please log in to reply

marcusclarkus

marcusclarkus

• Registered Upgraded
  • 395 posts
So lots of guys here have nice RooRs and other glass, and I'm jealous. I don't want to blow all my money on one though because A, They're expensive and B, I know someone would end up breaking it. After seeing a few vases that looked like bongs in my friends house and seeing diffusers and slider for sale individually, I decided I would just make a glass bong myself. I realize now I'm probably far from the first at thinking this up on my own, but I'm making a guide anyway.

Here's the first one I made, called the Great Pumpkin. It broke though when one of my friends knocked it over onto the part of the diffuser the bowl sticks into. The bowl came out at a bad angle anyway.
Posted Image

Decided to make another one, here's everything I gathered together:
Vase (can be purchased at Marshall's, Home Goods, or any other store with lots of decorative vases)
Straight tube or diffuser with bowl (can be bought online, got this one from a friend's broken bong)
Dremel with tungsten carbide bit
Epoxy
Total cost: $6 (vase) + $4 (epoxy) + $10 (diffuser)= $20

sweet vase I found
Posted Image

friend's diffuser
Posted Image

dremel
Posted Image

1. Line up the diffuser with the vase to find the best spot for the hole to go.
Posted Image
Posted Image

2. Begin drilling. The tools for this part are really up to you. You could use a drill, Dremel (brand name for smaller rotatory tool), or other rotatory tool with diamond or tungsten carbide bits. I got my Dremel for $30 and a tungsten carbide bit for $8 awhile ago when I used to mod paintball guns. There are larger bits than the one I use which would make a perfectly circular hole in much less time, I was just making do with what I had when I made this bong though.
When drilling, be very careful of when you first get through the glass, this is when it cracked on my test piece because I was pushing too hard and the bit got caught in the hole that was just made. The speed used was between 24k and 30k rpms. If the tool is really jumpy and hard to hold, turn it down a bit and mask the hole with some tape, so you won't scratch the vase is random places.
Posted Image

3. Once you have gotten the whole first made, the dangerous part is over, and the tedious part begins. Start widening the hole until it is finally the correct size for the diffuser. The thicker the glass, the longer this takes. If the tool or glass starts to feel uncomfortably warm, take a 5-10 minute break and let it cool back down before drilling again.
Posted Image

almost there...
Posted Image

4. When the diffuser will finally fit in, clean up the hole a little bit and angle it (if thick enough glass) so that the diffuser will point to the center bottom of the vase. When you're completely satisfied with the hole, wash all the glass dust out of the vase. Careful, the glass might still be warm and rinsing it with cold water would cause it to crack.

5. Glue the straight tube or diffuser in place with a very small amount of epoxy just around the contact point between it and the vase. Use epoxy based on what the instructions say, usually a 1:1 ratio of the contents of the two tubes. This should be relatively safe, since it will never get very hot (epoxy good to 250*F) and therefore not release any harmful vapors (can't guarantee though). If you don't want to use epoxy, get some files for glass and make the hole in the vase the perfect size for the diffuser, so just the glass on glass joint will be airtight. I'm too lazy to do this though. And don't be a dumbass and take a pretend hit out of it while the epoxy is still drying and giving off fumes.
Posted Image

6. Wait for it to fully dry, rinse multiple times, enjoy.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Yeah the bowl is really old and crappy, need to replace it with an ash catcher.

Overall it's a pretty good bong. Huge hits, but still a lot of water so it takes awhile for it to get too dirty to use. The glass vase has slight imperfections as you can somewhat see in the pictures (not 100% clear, kind of wavy inside) but still is thick enough and will hold up. Very happy with it for the price of only $20.

Edited by marcusclarkus, 05 October 2008 - 08:27 PM.

• xchuyx122, s w i s h e r, TruthfulDeceit and 3 others like this

randomstoner

randomstoner

• Registered Upgraded
  • 169 posts
thats badass dude thanks for the guide im gona have to make one of these
that thing looks like somethin ud buy from a store

Miss Does

Miss Does

Miss Cunty

• Silver Member
  • 1,294 posts

asdf12

asdf12

• Registered Upgraded
  • 752 posts
what size tungsten carbide did you use... i might have to try to make one for myself.. how long do you think it took you?

micelanious

micelanious

Don't worry bout a thing.

• Registered Upgraded
  • 276 posts
nice man, and you chose a good one, looks like the base hold quite a hit. Nice work.

marcusclarkus

marcusclarkus

• Registered Upgraded
  • 395 posts

what size tungsten carbide did you use... i might have to try to make one for myself.. how long do you think it took you?

thanks guys. And yes, definitely post some pics if you make your own. It's so interesting seeing what vases there are, the possibilities are endless.

I used a 1/8" bit, it was a little small though (and dull from being used a lot), which is why it took about 40 minutes to drill the hole perfectly in the thick glass. I would recommend an 1/8" to make the initial hole, then something like a 1/4" along with a 1/2" cone shaped ones to make it bigger. If I had those it would probably have taken 15 minutes.

bwood

bwood

• Registered Upgraded
  • 6,000 posts
All I need is the right kid of drill bit and I can do this. Thats a fucking legit bong btw.

asdf12

asdf12

• Registered Upgraded
  • 752 posts

I used a 1/8" bit, it was a little small though (and dull from being used a lot), which is why it took about 40 minutes to drill the hole perfectly in the thick glass. I would recommend an 1/8" to make the initial hole, then something like a 1/4" along with a 1/2" cone shaped ones to make it bigger. If I had those it would probably have taken 15 minutes.

damn, haha which bits arem ost important bc i dont know if i can afford all those haha those glass ones are pricey arent they?

oh yeah and thats an 18mm slide right? just have to make sure

Edited by asdf12, 05 October 2008 - 10:06 PM.

sean216

sean216

• Registered Upgraded
  • 752 posts
Thats cool i've never seen a homemade bong with a diffuser +rep

The Doors

The Doors

Until The End

• Registered Upgraded
  • 156 posts
Damn, looks fucking pro. :smoking:

marcusclarkus

marcusclarkus

• Registered Upgraded
  • 395 posts

damn, haha which bits arem ost important bc i dont know if i can afford all those haha those glass ones are pricey arent they?

oh yeah and thats an 18mm slide right? just have to make sure

yeah you only need a 1/8" or 1/4" one, it will just take a bit longer. They're like $8 or so at a hardware store.

yeah I'm pretty sure it's 18mm

CitySmoker420

CitySmoker420

Banned

• Banned by Moderators
  • 2,391 posts
nice homemade.... +rep to u for injenuity

Caboose

Caboose

• Registered Upgraded
  • 659 posts
cool man
i need a bit like that
howd it get orange
great guide +rep

marcusclarkus

marcusclarkus

• Registered Upgraded
  • 395 posts

cool man
i need a bit like that
howd it get orange
great guide +rep

Thanks, the orange one is made from a different vase.

acidraindrips

acidraindrips

medically insured weed

• Registered Upgraded
  • 809 posts
amazing

day man

day man

fighter of the night man

• Registered Upgraded
  • 350 posts
it's rare that I see home made pieces of such quality. +rep

Project Aris

Project Aris

Banned

• Banned by Moderators
  • 128 posts
nice homeade glass, saw a nice bamboo one not too long ago, this one ties on construction and creativity +rep

marcusclarkus

marcusclarkus

• Registered Upgraded
  • 395 posts
thanks for the compliments. I'm going to put a glass rod horizontally through the lowest part of the neck soon as an ice catcher, I'll add to this thread when I do.

I LOVE FOOD

I LOVE FOOD

• Registered Upgraded
  • 970 posts
Nice tutorial, dude!

acidraindrips

acidraindrips

medically insured weed

• Registered Upgraded
  • 809 posts
bump, bump

1 user(s) are reading this topic