Bike Riding?

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by IGOTJOINTS4YA, Oct 1, 2008.

1. I live in Portland, where a large number of people use bikes to get around. Just overall one of the best cities in the US to get around on a bicycle because of the generous amount of bike lanes and the overall culture.

My baby is a Raleigh (1980's unsure of the exact year) 5 speed. Just had 'er tuned up and everything

Attached Files:

2. I really like my bike, it's an 03 Specialized Hardrock Sport. I think it looks kickass and I know it very well. It's gone with me to a lot of places...around here, to Santa Cruz (awesome BTW), and in car trips to MN and WI. Also, when I went to Berlin we went on a bike tour of the Wall basically and we were the only ones that showed up, so I was a basically private tour. Bikes about 15km and it was a blast. I saw so much of the city that way and it was fun as hell to ride alongside all the cars and buses while feeling secure that no one was going to run me over! Something I can't say I could do here.

And I love riding high. I am a beast at riding no handlebars baked. Like it's a natural positioin to ride sitting straight up, and only when you need to brake/maintain control do you reach down to the bars. And there is something so damn relaxing about just cruising down hill.

3. Dick's sporting goods have good selection? I was debating going up there and buying a bike today for under $400.00

4. try to find a local bike shop, big box stores just dont have quality bikes in that range, nor do they assemble them anything close to decent.

you can go to a real bike shop and get plenty of bike for that kind of money, usually with free service on the bike for a while.

maybe check craigslist for some quality bikes used, if they ride and function well go for it. what kind of bike are you looking for?

5. I'm looking for one that I can take off road, and on the trails/off dirt jumps.. But also be able to cruise down the street comfortably with if I'm not on the trails. I used to have a BMX bike, was excellent for cruising down the street/hopping curbs, and even performed well on mild terrain. But was not very comfortable, and the small tires made riding from point a to point b take forever. I know that I don't want a beach cruiser. I'm leaning towards a Mountain Bike, but what kind... hmm

6. depending on your budget id suggest a Giant Revel they have levels of quality/price 1,2 and 3. you could look into a Haro flightline.
    theres tons of good front suspension bikes in your range, I think I paid under or right at 400 for a flightline for my ol lady and its pretty nice.
    aluminum frame, nice travel in the suspension, and mid level components.  when I ride off road I ride the giant revel 1, and it rides great around town, off road. handles decent jumps and drop off`s even stairs. life time warranty on the frame also, you get that with the flightline too. the main thing I can tell you is to buy from a real bike store, and just get what fits and feels the best. finding a dealer in your area should not be hard at all. just avoid big box stores if you can.

7. doob3r I took your advice and went to my local bike shop. Ended up walking out with the Giant Revel, and a helmet. Total was $431.00 I believe. :Yikes: My bank account is going to be pissed.

8. #48 doob3r, Jul 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2013
    good deal man! the revel is sweet, now get on your bike and ride!

edit: youll save that money in gas if you can ride around town and where you need to go.

endurance builds fast on a bike, before long 6-8 miles wont be shit and you may just end up riding instead of driving.

9. #49 Huey_Freeman, Jul 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2013
    Wouldn't let me edit last post. pic : 1374792769306.jpg

21 Speed

10. I was riding my friends bike one night to go pick up my bong. I fell and the handlebars punctured my stomach and went through my back. I got up and my guts were falling out. got in someones car and passed out. almost died that night. was in the hospital for a month.

yeah. I love bikes. 

11. bull shit

12. lmao cause you know me right?  :rolleyes:

13. that some fucked up shit lmao. how someone gonna share a near-death story and some old fuck comes and calls BS. hahaha suck my doob3r.

14. because that story is as old as the bicycle lol. if it happened post up some pics. if your guts were spilling out youd have scars to prove it.

15. here's a pic of my stomach when I had all my staples in. 

[​IMG]

16. sweet lord, i thought that was just an old wives tail. if that truly is your`s apologies and respect.

17. it's cool. current pic. 

[​IMG]

18. id like to know more, were the grips all rotted or wore off? was it a steel bike? how did it pierce all the way through? im guessing thats where they put back together, what happened on the back side? 

19. yeah there were no grips or tube stops so it was all exposed metal. the front wheel jerked left (so it was sticking up) and I landed on it. It was a BMX. I got up thinking I just fell and was OK because I was a little knocked out, then I saw how the bike was actually in me.. I pulled it out and my guts started coming after. all I could do was hold it in and ask for help.

holy shit man that's insane, I was going to say I ride bmx and my grip is worn and is showing metal. " :bolt:  goes to http://danscomp.com , places order, prays" lol