Bike Riding?

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by IGOTJOINTS4YA, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Huh I hadn't thought about that. Thanks

2. I have a pretty nice road bike that lets me hit over 30 mph. Its pretty scary but is really

awesome especially when stoned. I still own a car, but I only bought two tanks of gas for

it all of last summer. Damn I can't wait till its nicer out to ride.

3. Hey what's good fellow bike riders. I got a question. I bought and fixed up a Peugeot mountain bike from craigslist and I'm really satisfied with it for the price I got it at. My question is, since I commute to both school and work with this, would I be better off with a road bike? It would have to be able to handle uneven curbs and similar transitions at high speeds on a consistent basis, as some spots in my commute I cannot ride solely using the street.

The bike I formerly had, also a mountain bike, felt much sturdier than the bike I use now, although I ride exactly the same with this bike if not faster and it hasn't buckled yet nor do I expect it to. I just want to know if I get a random road bike around the same quality as mine (~$150 including repairs) will it be able to handle some punishment? Will it ride noticeably faster with less work? I'm currently in the habit of stretching every day after I get home because it's a decent workout for my legs riding back and forth to school and work every day save Sundays.

Tell me all you can if you've ridden both mountain bikes and road bikes and are familiar with a slightly demanding commute (~6 miles at worst). Thanks!

4. I've found the opposite. My legs can just keep going and going when I'm high.

It's been a long time since I've been riding though. I was riding to and from work every day for about a year, but that stopped when I got my license and lately it's just been too cold to go. Once it starts warming up I'll start up again, but it's gonna suck being back to having no endurance when before I had so much.

5. I ride MTB street/ dirt jumps and thrash alot. Love riding my bike especially when high on a beautiful day cruising no hands down a big hill.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. I would say stick with the MTB as it will be a lot sturdier than a road bike, especially the wheels (if you're going to be hopping off curbs and such). The road bike will of course go faster with less work, but for a commuting bike I would go for durability. You could also consider a hybrid like the Specialized Crossroads or something like it (There's a Crossroads on eBay for $125 right now). The hybrids (or even a cyclocross bike) will give you some of the durability of an MTB but be easier to ride.

Bottom line - get to a bike shop or borrow a bike just to try out different styles and see what suits you best!

Hope this helps...

7. yeah man, i ride mostly freeride at a local bike mountain.. its amazing to be graced with the presence of a bike lift so i down have to push my 40 pound bike up the hill :] and heres my baby; http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3051556/

8. Man i fucking love going biking while i'm high, specially mountain biking. I see some crazy shit and everything just flows so much. People tell me its dangerous but nothings happened yet haha, good times every time man.

9. nice i have a trek liquid 30 ride up in CT theres not much out here though anyways whats it like to be high when on a mountain ive never done it but i would sure like to:hello:

10. im glad to hear youve got a bike.save yourself some money and get the expirience of the wind in your face.I usedto own a downhill bike. . . the mafia took it.lol.i still do own a jamis road bike which is fun but not as fun as riding through nature on my old bike.

11. i l;ove to ride in th e hills by my house. Its the best to do torched

12. hell yeah! To school and just for chillness and recreation.

13. ooh Nice! I want to ride my bike to school, but its 30-40 miles away from home and I have a couple night classes so i dont think it's a safe idea. Im gonna try and get some mid day classes next semested so i can cruise to school on my bike. But Im gonna try to ride to work, only a 20 mile ride. Yea yea!

14. Anyone else ever ride the snow boarding hills during the summer? ITs so epic you just take your bike up the lift with you and ride down. Perfect downhill trails all day and your legs dont get tired at all!

15. i keep it gangster with a '84 PANASONIC touring deluxe i copped off of craigslist for 80..... great buy.

[​IMG]

16. I had my own bike in Illinois, but didn't take it with me in the move to Colorado, so now it's my Brother's. I've been using my Mom's Mountain Bike that, she says, is older than me and it still rides pretty well but it is aging and I'm thinking it's about time to get another one.

If I get myself a job in the immediate area, I will pick a Mountain/Touring Cross with appropriate tires for both street and mountain terrain. If I find myself with a good bit of money at the time, or at least some decent deals, I will buy a strictly Transportation Bike and then invest in a good Trail Bike. Dick's has some good deals I want to check out.

The only reason that I don't take my bike to school is Campus is almost twenty miles away, it's damn near a four hour ride, and the buses don't run on Sundays. So I still need to keep my car for strictly that reason.

This guy is selling a Diamondback Ascent for $130. Probably won't go for it, really, but long live Craigslist.

[​IMG]

17. I ride. Brakeless street/park.

18. i fucking LOVE my bike. i love every single thing about cycling, whether i'm high or not. like i went to madrid for a week and i missed my bike so fucking much.

i recently bought a bike for £150/$350... such a steal, it's brilliant to ride. makes me feel good!

19. so, I bought a bike back in jersey, but I couldnt use it to its potential till I got out here in the pacific northwest.

I love my Trek 3700 Alpha custom alum. Its great for the price, works well on the road though gotta watch out for the speeds on the turns with the Bontrager trails (26x2.0), and does super sweet on the singletrack, and thats what I wanted it for.
    gotta love the specs on the shift
    Shifters - Shimano EF50, 7 speed
    * Front Derailleur - Shimano C051
    * Rear Derailleur - Shimano Acera
    * Crank - SR Suntour XCC-T208 48/38/28
    * Cassette - Sunrace 13-34, 7 speed

not to bad, handles well, only complaint on that is I gotta tweek the gears as I move, kind of scary at times, and even had to derail a few times, which really sucks, not sure what I can do to fix this, I think its just the bike? The bi-axial down tube build is nice, but I know its not up to par with whats out there, but cant beat it for the tag.

I love me some sinlgetrack!! :D

20. nice bike man, i have a 3500 :hello:

yeah there is this nature trail near my school and the other day i biked through it. it was about 9 in the morning and muddy as hell... wake n bake n ride ftw