For anyone interested in learning anything...

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by kinetic being, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Odonatology, the study of dragonflies and damselflies
    Odontology, the study of the teeth

2. Got referred to this by a friend at work; http://www.openculture.com/freeonlinecourses

It is a list of some 700 free online courses (in all subjects not just science). Appears to be mostly links to podcasts of full courses recorded at decent universities - a worthwhile addition to this thread.

3. Awesome links! Thank you for compiling this.. :)

4. The latest Nova..."Earth from Space".....40 lightning strikes every second on Earth..reminded me of synapses. Magnetosphere and their animation of how it protects the Earth ...mmm.yeah.

5. God bless you for this thread, was getting bored sitting on youtube with all the disinformation

6. Lots of this is available on the ITunesU. Downloads ahead of time for you.

7. #89 Rotties4Ever, Sep 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2013
    Tesla would not support itunes,  apple is a corporate fascist bully. Son I am disapoint.

I find the audio books I educate myself with on walks to and from work online.

Fuck iTunes. I've gone rogue. :cool:

9. DOAJ: Directory of Open Access Journals  -  Browse (currently) almost 10 thousand open access journals. Great for finding articles that are not behind a paywall. I guarantee there's something here for everyone.

A few of my favourite open access publishers/journals:

PLOS Biology  - a peer-reviewed, open-access journal featuring research articles of exceptional significance in all areas of biological science, from molecules to ecosystems.  You never know what you're going to find on this journal.  Check out this article about social cognition and auditory verbal hallucinations. The Public Library of Science publishes seven peer-reviewed journals. My other favourites are PLOS Pathogens and PLOS Genetics. For general science articles, see PLOS One.

Psychology & Neuroscience  -  peer-reviewed, open-access journal with articles on Psychology and Neuroscience. I love their neuropsychopharmacology articles. The ones on psychophysics and perception, and behaviour/systems/cognition are on point as well.

Multidisciplinary Digital Publishing Institute  -  another publisher of numerous peer-reviewed and open-access journals. Offers a wide selection of topics, with more coming in 2013 and 2014.  I'm excited for their Microorganisms journal to get going.  Viruses is great for Virology articles (Recommended read: their Special Issue on Emerging and Re-emerging RNA viruses). Pharmaceuticals is great for insights on the pharamaceutical industry, from raw material/finished product quality control/stability, to what kind of new drugs are emerging. Nanomaterials is full of mindblowing breakthroughs in nanoscience/nanotech. A special issue about Nanotoxicology is upcoming some time in 2014 that I'm really excited about. Recommended read: this article about how single-stranded DNA can be separated from double stranded DNA using graphene oxide, rather than with a time consuming non-denaturing gel electrophoresis process.

Hopefully I'll edit this post shortly with some resources for learning the fundamentals one would need to get the most out of some of these journals.

10. Great good.... I need to study about some severe diseases caused by mosquito as well as genetic disorders. I am very much interested to learning about those health related topics.

11. i'll never get those valuable kilabytes back T.T waste of memory

12. I watch the UCBerkeley lectures on youtube all the time. Definitely recommend it. Thanks for the other links OP! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Brilliant thread! Thank you!

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Grasscity Forum mobile app

14. Yup. This officially kicks ass.

15. #97 Netherrip, Feb 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2014
    Much obliged to all the links in this thread.

16. Thanks for posting this now I have something to do to keep my mind occupied while I save up for college

17. Really appreciate your post

18. Download iTunes U from the App Store and you can watch/listen to lectures from universities all over the world. The life in the universe course at Ohio state is really interesting when high.

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1398295422.957725.jpg

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1398295422.957725.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum