For anyone interested in learning anything...

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by kinetic being, Sep 19, 2008.

1. #1 kinetic being, Sep 19, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2008
    There is a plentiful amount of free resources on the net for learning, and I will post some of them here.

Motion Mountain free physics textbook, it covers everything from Greek physicists to Quantum physics, and it quite big at over 1500 pages in .pdf format. It is well worth the time to download (not really much if you have highspeed internet)

MIT OpenCourseWare MIT offers 1800 college courses for free. Physics, Business, Biology, Architecture, Literature, Philosophy, and many, many more. Here are videos of lectures, class notes, tests, just about everything that an MIT student gets, except actually going to MIT.

OpenCouseWare Consortium They offer links to many other OpenCouse materials, offered by colleges all over the world.

UC Berkley on Youtube
    Lots of good stuff here too, on youtube for easy viewing. The interface (youtube's) isn't that good for this kind of thing, but it does work.

Scholarpedia free peer-reviewed wiki encyclopedia

The Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy
    A lot of information on philosophy

Squashed Philosophers offers many famous philosophies/-ers and their respective publications, in a condensed (squashed) format, for quick reading. They offer both "Very Squashed" (about a paragraph) and "Squashed" (much more in depth than the very squashed version, but still significantly smaller and easier to read than the original writing)

Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy Great articles on all kinds of subjects, from metaphysics, religion, quantum physics, etc.

A Review of the Universe
    Readings that explain the Universe, from stars and galaxies, to life on Earth.

Freud's Interpretation of Dreams
    The actual book by Freud, entitled "The Interpretation of Dreams" Great information on why we dream, and why we dream about what we dream about.

The Elegant Universe The PBS documentary explaining String Theory.

Quantum Physics Made (Relatively) Simple Lectures by the scientist Hans Bethe on quantum physics

Sacred Texts
    Literally thousands of texts from many religions, from the most popular to the most obscure, all available for free.

Feel free to add to this.

2. Downloading Motion Mountain..thanks!

EDIT- Oh, and Scholarpedia is cool, too.

3. #3 Liquidtruth, Sep 19, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2008
    Very cool post. I always wanted to go to MIT without having to go to MIT. :p

Welcome to the land of being sticky. :)

4. #4 kinetic being, Sep 19, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2008
    nice...

If this is gonna be sticky I guess I have to put some more stuff up...I got a lot of bookmarks...(thank you stumbleupon)

edit: I just doubled the amount of links.

5. great post/i never saw i before...hhmm..anyhow..

6. Bookmarking this page and will get back to it later.
    Thankyou.

7. I feel this will be of great help in my future.

8. learning things is stupid.

The real path to knowledge is having unwavering faith in something true and pure.

9. #9 Liquidtruth, Oct 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2008
    Like uh... Faith in the FSM?

10. Awesome post :hello:

11. The Elegant Universe documentary is awesome.. I bought the book too both are really incredible.

12. http://spaceandmotion.com/

A very well put together website touching on a number of topics. Concisely written and put into layman terms.

13. Thanks so much for this!
    I'm starting off with A Review of the Universe and Freud's Interpretation of Dreams.

14. good post. This is going to be great on slow days.

15. Thanks for this post:hello:
    Cassiopeia videos are pretty cool too, lots of trippy CG stuff and it's approved for kids so it's not too heady when you're baked.

I like the quantum physics ones particulary, but biology is cool too. you can DL the HD versions for free:

http://www.cassiopeiaproject.com/

16. I should mention http://lib.org.by/ and http://eknigu.org/ which are both sketchy ass eastern european sites full of electronic versions of textbooks. I myself only use them for math books (of which they are a treasure trove), but they seem to have a bunch of other stuff, including really great physics/science books (no offense to motion mountain, but it's not exactly a classic). More generally, you can usually find an electronic copy of a book by searching for the title with the word "djvu" in google.

17. wow thanks for this so much even though its old. lol. i love it.

18. thanks to you OP, I love the links in youtube and the opencoursewere

19. this thread is too awesome. I'll be busy with these links for a year.