Football Official NFL Thread

Discussion in 'All Sports' started by Johnny Blazed, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Bears are benching Jay Cutler to play Jimmy Clausen.

We're at new levels of meltdown in Chicago. Less than one year into that huge contract and you're benching your longtime starting QB in favor of a guy who was a garbage starter as a rookie and was so bad he was never given another chance.

Man, that whole front office is finna get canned, top to bottom. Probably Emery too...GM is the guy that signed Cutler to the contract anyway, he should be the first to go.

I'd take Trestman as the OC in Oakland, I can say that for sure. Bet it's more Cutler being an apathetic fuck than Trestman's offensive system.

2. How bad would it be if the Saints got to the superbowl as a 7-9 team?

Here's how it could happen realistically:

1 Seahawks 12-4
    2 Lions 12-4
    3 Eagles 11-5
    4 Saints 7-9
    5 Cardinals 12-4
    6 Packers 11-5

Wild Card Round
    Packers beat Eagles in Philadelphia
    Saints win a home game against the cards

Divisional Round
    Packers beat Seahawks in Seattle
    Saints beat Lions in Detroit

NFC Championship Game
    Saints beat Packers in New Orleans

I'm not saying this is that likely of a scenario, I'm just presenting the possibility. None of these picks are that much of a stretch. For this to happen, Detroit would have to beat Green Bay in week 17 and Seattle would have to beat Arizona this weekend.

3. I'd be cool with that. If New Orleans could manage to run the table, then they earned it.

I like Seattle's odds best of any team in their conference, though. Defenses of the Packers, Saints, and Eagles would need to play flawless to get their teams to the Super Bowl. Cardinals would need to be lights-out defensively and almost mistake-free on offense, which is too much to ask of a team down their top 2 QBs and RBs since the beginning of the season (not to mention a few choice defensive pieces).

I think the Lions could sneak in there, but I won't put "being the Lions" past the Lions, and watching them beat themselves somehow. Not to slander Detroit, because they finally paired a good WR with Calvin Johnson to really improve that offense and they've taken it up a level this year. On a side note, seems like firing Jim Schwartz worked out well for both sides.

4. Titans V Jags

Playing for that first round draft pick. Showdown of the century. Hand picked by fate and the gods.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forumlll

5. The lions offense sucks this year. Lombardi is so damn predictably vanilla

6. I'll be there hopping for a win, titans can have the first round pick it never really works for us anyways

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

Lions in the playoffs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. @SportsCenter: Crazy Stat of Day: Jay Cutler is making $22.5 million this year, more than Wilson, Luck, Rodgers, Newton, Sanchez COMBINED

9. Wilson, Luck, and Rodgers will each get top dollar when they sign their next contract. Newton might too if he's playing well enough that he's the best option the Panthers have which he probably will be.
    Wilson, Luck, and Rodgers will each get top dollar when they sign their next contract. Newton might too if he's playing well enough that he's the best option the Panthers have which he probably will be.

10. Wilson should get a solid yet modest contract.

The cap for him is starting to run out. Hell just saw this morning we locked KJ weight up in a 4 year contract as well.

11. My playoff seeding predictions.

AFC

1.) Pats
    2.) Denver
    3.) Colts
    4.) Steelers
    5.) Ravens
    6.) Bengals

NFC

1.) Seattle
    2.) GB
    3.) Dallas
    4.) Saints
    5.) Cards
    6.) Lions

Praying that KC or Bengals can knock off the Steelers so Ravens can get the division but I think Pitt will both & 3 AFC North teams will get in.

Five teams fighting for the 1 seed in the the NFC. If Seattle wins out (Cardinals & Rams) they secure the 1 seed.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

12. Stoked we grabbed kj up for a few more years, dude is gonna be solid. We will still have plenty of money for Wilson though.

13. Really happy to see Schneider and the GM are keeping the defense together.

[OPINION] That Richardson kid is gunna step up as our WR2 next to Baldwin and/or overtake Baldwin himself as #1. With lynch almost certainly gone after this season next year is gunna be a different side of the Seahawks offense. Little more passing than the last 2-3years

14. I don't see lynch being done in seattle honestly, his production isn't dropping , his power isn't dropping, why just drop him unless he retires? , I also don't see them pushing for more of a pass happy offense, though I do agree that Richardson is gonna be great for us, kid has speed and great hands. If they do let lynch go though I do kinda expect them to pick up someone like Todd gurley as a backup in case michael or turbo doesn't work out...I personally think we need to work on the o line though. Get some more solid offensive tackles or somethin.

15. It's a financial decision. Not a decision based on his play. We got two solid RB's behind him.. Russell Wilson is gunna need a nice paycheck.

Eventually there's just no room for an aging RB :/

16. Getting rid of him would mean an immediate switch in play we would need to make , which we don't have the ability to do yet....michael and turbo aren't ready...we have the money to keep him next year with the getting rid of pussy harvin and the raise in cap space next year

17. He will probably get top dollar. Every guy who is a legit starter does unless they take a discount to help the team like Brady. The cap is going up significantly year to year so long term contracts don't actually end up tieing as much cap space as it seems they will on the day they're signed.

18. I could see things working out like this. I would just hope the Steelers and Colts would win or the Bengals and Ravens.

19. If the Seahawks really wanted to they could get away with not giving Russell the max. I don't think other teams view Russ as much more than a game manager