Drip Irrigation Help for a soil grow

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by rollinghippie, Aug 28, 2008.

1. So far so good...timer started tonight as scheduled..saturated plants ...no leaks...guess thats about all I can ask for!

Hip

2. I spent my younger years working for an irrigation company in the southwest US and I installed hundreds of drip systems after looking at your system it will work, its not the prettiest thing ive ever seen but it will work as you've noted. One thing that took me years to learn was when a dripper say .5 GPH, 1 GPH, 2GPH, whatever it may say the dripper will dispense that amount of water if it has 25 PSI.
    Another thing to think about is installing an inline filter because you would be surprised how quickly drippers can be clogged. FYI if you get the drippers that are a 90 degree setup they have removable filters built in that can be cleaned very easily. Just some tips hope they helped

3. How's this working for you? thinking about make something similar? Any help wood be greatly appreciated Thanks.

4. that is a great setup, that is what i would like to do for my grow, do you use any sort of pressure regulator to turn the flow into a "drip" that runs constant or is it on a timer to be turned on and off?

5. The little buttons you see in the photo's are the drippers.

Hydrofarm - Hydrofarm HGPM50 Plant Markers, pack of 50

You can also buy a device like this that just hooks to a pipe thread...

The Drip Store: 6-Outlet Drip Head, Adjustable

Some of the theory on drip irrigation is similar to hydro, if the plant does not have to grow a huge root system it will put more energy into growing fruit and or vegetation, so the delicate balance of just enough water is crucial to getting that gain. So maybe a 15 minute cycle once a day would be better than 1 hour every 4 days for instance.

Bill

6. thanks very helpful!

7. Hi guys. I have to go out for 2 weeks ! It will be very dangerous to leave plants alone but i have no choice.
    Those ideas seems to be great but is the pressure in last dripper not smaller than in the first ?
    Do you guys thin that slight if I would set this similar system and water it once daily for 15 min ... and lets say that soil would be overwatered if check just after watering, but if I would have good drainage (hydroton on the bottom of 11l pots with all mix 10%perlite) would be fine and plants would not cath root rot.

good job guys

8. So I'm used to foxfarms soil grows (feeding every other watering) and was hoping you could talk more about your nutes with the soil drip set up. Do you just use a weaker % or something?

9. nice drip setup. i got a drip setup but its in a littler space than yours. I use a raindrip water manifold and i got it hooked up into a 66 qt tub. i got pictures on my grow box if you want to see another way to set it up.

10. BLUMATS..........problem solved !

11. Nice set up, but it got me to thinking, which is never a good idea.
    Would a ebb and flow system work for plants potted in soil, or would it promote root rot?

12. hi guys

So I went for hopliday for 13 days ! And my plants looks great altrough stretched because i had to lift 400MH for about 80 cm above canopy .or maybye it was even 1 meter ... Anyway It worked well
    I have set up initially an simplest system : reservoir + pump + 16mm hose + 10 drip lines connected along hose.
    THAT DID NOT WORK - due to not uniform water distribution - drip lines at the end had too small water flow and has been delivering half amaunt of water comparing to first ones.

So I solvet it out! - very simple

In us there is availabale special connectiors - octopus or something but where i live - i cant get it ... so I have built it from coke bottle - Ill add pictures later
    If you live in US better just buy that connector - it takes a while to build it , connect , and its still leaking a little bit.

Ill add pics later

13. ok there are the pictures of my ultra cheap - survival ultra simple irrigation system:D:smoke:

Attached Files:

14. botanicare sells a formula of coco mixed with perlite and humic acids that is designed for drip systems, and can also be used in ebb and flow as well. if you want a drip with soil, just aerate it so you don't overwater it and create a bunch of mud.

15. K quick question whatkind of soil are u using and did u add any perlite or vermiculite and hows the 20 min on every threeday schedule wo
    rking

16. are there any drip irrigation systems that built/meant to have nutes running through it, so that it won't clog?

17. I don't get why it would clog with nutes?

18. OP

look into SIP buckets for a very cheap DIY auto watering planter. Many of us in the organics section run them with amazing results.

19. im sorry but really? i run 4000w and i water my plants once a week. they are 2 weeks into flower. I fully saturate my soil to where there is a lot of runoff.

do you have small pots? or do you not give them much water?

20. How big of containers are you in? In 3gal smartpots a half gallon was good but in 5gal a half gallon will last about 2-3 ddays and I'm midway to week 5 of flower