All About Lighting

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by jcj77d, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Hi,
    I am new here. What a great site!
    So here is my question that does not seem to be addressed that I can find. We built a very insulated grow room and installed a temp controlled exhaust fan. It was based on the recommendations for a greenhouse . .not enclosed room .. and so is way too big.
    So in the winter, the fan sucks in cold moist air from the rest of the barn . .and I get powdery mildew. I tried running a dehumidifier .. but puts out heat ..the fan kicks on more often . .endless cycle as you can see.
    I am presently using a 600 w HPS that converts to MH for the veg part. That obviously puts out a ton of heat.
    I gave up on growing during the non summer months because of the mildew issue. But now I am considering 3 options
    Use an air-conditioner in there. . .boo so much electricity!
    Install an inline fan on the light hood with a rheostat and have that run on low speed. . . hopefully not sucking in a lot of cold air at a time would help?
    Or .switching to T-5 fluorescent lighting. The guy at the local grow store said they did a test . .and 4oo wt of T-5s produced ONE THIRD the amount as 400 wt HPS. Boo!
    So . .I am thinking . .why not install 3 time as many T5 fixtures? But how much electricity would that use? And how much heat would be generated? I know they compute electrical use based on watts . .but that makes no sense. A 400 w HPS fixture uses a ton of the electricity on heat . .the T5 not so much. So I don't see how you can compare the electrical use of the two based on watts alone.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    DebraU

2. So I have a question, I'm having an appraiser come to my place do his work, although my grow area is stealthy, it's still kinda noticeable, so I was thinking of shutting off the lights for a hour or two while he is here so he doesn't notice the lights, currently I'm running my lights 24/7, so my question is will my plants be fine if I do this? I assume it shouldn't bother them too much but didn't want to take any chances, what do you think?

3. So I have a question, I'm having an appraiser come to my place do his work, although my grow area is stealthy, it's still kinda noticeable, so I was thinking of shutting off the lights for a hour or two while he is here so he doesn't notice the lights, currently I'm running my lights 24/7, so my question is will my plants be fine if I do this? I assume it shouldn't bother them too much but didn't want to take any chances, what do you think?

4. They'll be fine and probably enjoy a little sleep.

5. Alright cool thanks, I assumed they wouldn't care but just wanted to be sure

6. Ok is a 3x3x6 grow tent better with a 400w dim or a 600w dim both with cool tubes. I know a high powered fan is needed but can a 190 cfm inline do the job.. w/ scrubber. I found a deal for the 600w dim cheaper than the 400w dim. I plan on expanding later on. Can anybody give advise.

7. Mo' lights = mo' betta as long as you can control temps

8. If I was sitting on the Jury, I would say that good LED fixtures are prime for cannabis. From what I've seen, cannabis growers that have spent the time to dial in their growth environments (temps, water, nutes and light intensities) are seeing amazing results with LEDs.

I submit to the Jury this rock wool ebb n' flow table grow. 2 Pro 650's over each 3' x 6' table. All LED lighting from clone to flower.
    [​IMG]

The fixtures paid for themselves after the first grow. And the electricity cost was cut by more than 50% (lighting AND cooling).

9. That post is 4 years old, when LED was just gettin big haha but I must agree you have some killer plants

10. #330 Peflora, Oct 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
    dy using hot5s here?

Mine has gathered dust for a couple years while I explored various leds- from household Cree bulbs to led tubes to BML SPYDR 600 to several Amare Tech panels and most recent Transcend Lighting LED D200 230w, designed as supplemental lights in greenhouses

Transcend has also introduced their own 4ft led tubes, so I dusted off my Quantum Bad Boy in preparation for getting some.

I started this grow with 2 @ 6 netpot bubbler totes. I selected the best 4 plants and put 2 each under an Amare T SE 220 (COB hybrid) and the Transcend D200 (remote phosphor). Since all were started from seed I had no idea which would become females, so I put the hot5 in a 3rd tent using CFLs; 2 ZooMed Florosuns + 2 Quantum 6500k veg lights

This CFL combination provides a very natural daylight appearance to the leafs, and the plants are loving it more than the led plants

Within a week, the hot5 plants under ~ 216w (4 tubes) caught up to the leds, and look every bit the part!

All plants are still in veg for another ~ 6 days. When I flip I will add the 2 Transcend flowering tubes I received

Come by my thread to see the show

New pics tomorrow

11. Does anyone have any experience, good or bad with the Hydropnics Hut LED lights? Pls LMK as I am planning on purchasing one along with 2 other LEDs to compare before buying them for my whole room. New tech., eliminating the need for multi-bands or whites, providing a full spectrum from each diode, similiar to a COB but from the 3 & 5 watt diodes as well. All one exact color of the spectrum providing a uniform, intense light for our girls! Thank you! Surprised the LED users on this sight aren't all over it, plus 1/2 the price of comparable claiming companies out of the U.S.. Anyone????

12. Has anyone here used 130 watt dual spectrum cfl's ?

13. #333 dubbford, Dec 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2015
    Hello all, I'm just trying to finish my tent setup (32"32"63") with the right light. I have two of these LEDs currently, and am trying to decide between an additional 400W Apollo dimmable HPS and a 300W Galaxyhydro LED. I'd appreciate any help and suggestions! Thanks

14. I have a 130 sq ft room and 4 600w Hps lights. Reading about 105,000 lumens each. Thinking about buying 2 more. Is it necessary? Would I need 2 more or is about 3250 lumens, 19watts, per sqft enough?

15. I'm getting ready to set up a good sized medical grow. I'm trying to set up two rooms that are about 12ftX12ft each. I know that 4 1000W HIDs will provide all the light I'll need for those two spaces, one veg one bloom. My question is would it be worth using LED over HID lights and what experience do ya'll have with either or both?
    If HID is the way to go I'm going with 8" flow through hoods with digital ballast. I've looked a few brands, honestly they seem about the same and it's a matter of who really.
    LED wow there is so much information out there. Everyone has a horror story or "I never thought it would happen to me" with how great their LED experience has been. Problem is they don't seem to offer a comparison that is direct. If I'm going to drop this kind of $$$$ I want to have someone show me not sell me.
    You if anyone can offer some wisdom on the topic thank you.

16. I'm curios to see what any one's input would be, regarding to a shop light from Sam's club. It's an LED that draws 40w and gives off 4200 lumens of light.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/4ft-led-shoplight-sho...

I picked one up for someone's birthday and she absolutely love love love it! I kind of love it too, and thought about picking up a few for myself. It's only 40 bucks.... It sure does gives off tremendous amount of bright white light. I'm tempted to pick a few of these and see how they do over some clones. Thoughts?

I have couple options: Either invest into those leds or get myself the t5 hortilux powerVEG Bulbs to put into my really old fixtures. lol

17. great info thank you!

18. Im pulling my hair out, what little I have, trying to decide which LED to buy. I have spent literally hours and hours trying to find a independent review of current brands and I realized what a cesspool of lies some of this crap is.
    I was going to go with California or Kind but after reading they are made in china and the claims that they are ALL mostly made by the same company or 2 and they use leds that are not what they pretend to be. Maybe.
    For the moment, which changes, Im leaning to a Advanced Lighting Diamond series 150 watt for a 2x2.5 Gorilla tent. They are US made and have a better warranty.
    I have never seen anything like the back biting, accusations of fraud, cheating and snake oil salesmanship from reps of one brand against the other.
    Im not going to build my own either. Im just looking for a good solid light that covers the best spectrums and amount of light and good coverage.
    I have googled my ass off trying to find some real world honest testing with some of these brands and a light that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. $600 is my max for this.

19. New LED growing , great LED ,very powerful

1-VEG 1 .jpg 2-VEG 2.JPG 3-veg  wk2 1.JPG 5-veg  wk2-2.jpg 6- Flower WK 1  .jpg