All About Lighting

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by jcj77d, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Hay guys any recommendation on lights for this ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1412371858.115970.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. what is the correct distance to keep a 250watt MH from seedlings/plants

3. Cost is a major factor when setting up a new grow room or expanding a current set-up. 
    HPS and MH systems can cost quite a bit more to purchase starting at around $200. The bulbs can be pricy as well costing up to $60 or more each. 
    LEDs are a little more expensive. LEDs can cost as much as $3 per watt.
    However, HPS/MH is one year warranty or less,  LEDs lifespan is 50 000 hours and 3 years warranty. Moreover, 1W LED = 2-3W HPS/MH

4. That's a bunch of bull. You see all these LED companies callin their 300-350w lights 'such and such 700w' because they try to get people to believe it will beat a HID 2x it's wattage. It's just not true. To beat a 600w HID you would need an LED with a power draw of anywhere between 500 and 600w.
    I wish it were true, I'd grab one of Top LEDs Mars 2 700 which pulls 300-380w and replace my 600w HID with it for sure, but the sad truth is LEDs aren't that advanced yet.

5. Sorry to hear that

Sorry to hear that.  I thought it was Top LED is not good enough.  

6. It is no longer true that it takes 5-600w to equal a 600w HID

I am almost finished flowering for the second time using a BML SPYDR 600. The 600 designation only means it is equivalent to a 600w, but is ~ 340w.

I am now vegging with a Amare Technologies Solar Spec 260, which is 260w with similar umoles/m^/sec to a 1000 HID

Click on thread in my signature

8. Power output: ï»¿360 watts
    HID/HPS equivalent: 560 watts
    LEDs: 225 x 3 watt Bridgelux LEDs; 50,000+ hour lifespan (10+ years if LED lights are on 57% of the time)
    Spectrum: Multiple; for vegetative growth and flowering; Reds, Blues, White, and UV
    Lens angle: 90 degrees
    PAR: 1160umol at 12''; 911umol at 20''; 358umol at 40''; 194umol at 60''; 111umol at 78''
    Coverage area: 9 sq ft (36'' x 36'') at 18'' above plants; 16 sq ft (48'' x 48'') at 24'' above plants
    Thermal management: 4 x 120mm internal cooling fans; Aluminum heat sinks
    Daisy chain: Yes
    Dimensions: 19.2”x 19.2”x 3.0”
    Operating temperature: Operate light within temperatures of -4-140 F; Internal temperature of unit runs at 86-100.4 F
    Operating/input voltage: 86-264v AC
    Product weight: 19.8 lbs
    Recommended height above plants: 18''-24'' (grow box), 36'' (grow tent)
    Additional details: Grow or Bloom switches; Modular construction; CE and RoHS certifications
    Product includes: Power supply; Hangers
    Recommended for: Medium to large-sized grow operations; Indoors only
    Manufacturer's Warranty: 3 year (parts sent to customer free of charge)

9. Ok so I'm growing 4 clones in a 8x5x5 tent in my room. Not the best place I know, but all I got right now. Ok, so I have a few problems already. I don't have an intake fan, just an exhaust fan and it's got lower power at 240 CFM. I am using a 1000watt Metal halide, but only on half power since it heats up way too much at 1000. Well the temperature is still averaging around 31 degrees Celsius. The humidity is pretty good though. So naturally my plants are a bit droopy. If I get an intake fan, how much will that help out the temp? Will I be able to use a higher wattage? I am also going to switch the exhaust fan out as well with one that uses 480CFM. It's gonna be a bitch come flower time since I'll have to keep the tent completely closed to get rid of the smell. :smoking: :hide: :cry: :ey:

10. You should really give credit to where you stole this from... http://www.htgsupply.com/light_plant_growth

11. If im running a 400watt mh for veg would it help if I added a cfl to the room help I want a big yelled

12. Could you or someone give me some links to some lights that you would suggest for about 3 or 4 plants in an indoor grow?

that's what I'm doing, no more than 6 plants in mind. I'm using an Apollo GL60 180W LED. with a 2nd LED arriving tomorrow, a bit bigger one, the GL80 240W unit. Just search Amazon, not hard to find.

Check out my album for picks and details of my grow rack(s), one for veg with the GL60 and a 2nd rack going online next couple days with the GL80 LED for flowering.

First grow effort for me :)

View attachment 6847

14. Hi I'm really new to this and I'm growing with 12 cfls and I was wondering if I could put those cfls on a strand of Christmas lights would it be able to hold that wattage there are 6 2700k lights and 6 6500k lights ?

I've seen several home-made units on here. basically some sort of metal "hood" with light sockets daisy chained, using 'household" wiring, you know, the heavy stuff behind your walls. [​IMG]

and of course a heavy duty 3 prong plug.

16. Wat about Halogen Lights I have a 500w halogen light & I'm wondering if I could flower my 2 plants with it...

Attached Files:

17. #300 smokesara, Mar 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2015