Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

smoking while sick

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by ugeman420, Sep 7, 2003.

1. Awful Idea. I was sick a while ago, and I decided to toke up. A while later, there was a slideshow of images with moving hands in my stomach. I threw up 8 times and ended up passing out on the bathroom floor.
    :D

2. i got the shingles when i was younger on my face and was hospitalized for 3 days. i remember packing a bowl before i got sick at it sat there for like a few weeks and then i remember the day i got home i hit it a few times and watched a bands documentary and it was just amazing. then i was allowed to smoke in the house while i was monitored because i wouldnt eat without my miracle appetite stimulant.:smoke::hello:

marijuana works wonders in more and more ways the more time passes

3. I know many might not agree with me but... Smoking with any type of cold, sinus, respiratory, influenza, or other infection is NOT a good idea. Smoke itself is poison to your body (I don't care what you say, hear, or think, smoke in any shape or form is toxic) and will definitely hinder your body's recovery. Even though the whole "results may vary" thing applies here, stay away from smoking when you're sick. You'll be glad you did. Doesn't matter how good it makes you feel, the smoke will catch up to you.

Vaporizing, however, I can't see a problem other than THC being a potential immunosuppressant. However, those studies are to be questioned. Same goes with edibles.

If you really want to get high while sick, use a vaporizer or make some good ol' edibles. Think about it... Make some firecrackers. Or use cannabutter on toast (my dad always recommends toast and crackers when I'm sick :p). Or do whatever. I would just strongly advise against smoking when sick.

4. sometimes it depends on different people .but under commom condition it will make your illness serious so you'd better quit for a while until you are ok

5. I've got a sinus/cold thing going on right now. Runny/burning nose. Scratchy throat. Possibly a mild fever. All I can say is that I'm really glad I've been smokin or else I'd be miserable right now.

:smoke:

6. Well over the past few months, I've had an infected thumb (under the nail), shingles, stomach virus, bronchitis, probably more lol but I smoked at least a bit during all of them.

thumb - took antibiotics while continuing to smoke several times a day, bud kinda makes the thumb hurt a little more but nothing too bad, doesn't effect the antibiotics, infection is cleared up now.

shingles - Again, I think the bud kinda made them hurt worse, but nothing unbearable, and otherwise made me feel a lot better. I really didn't think the shingles were too horrible, but that might have been because I was high the whole time having them and had vicodin to help me out too :)

stomach virus - This one hit me really bad, I pretty much spent 2 days throwing up everything in sight, no possible way I felt like smoking, I could barely move and couldn't really walk around at all without getting sick. Once I started feeling a bit better though, still really nauseous and dizzy and sick in general but not immobile, I packed up a bowl, smoked it slow and small hits, and instantly my nausea was gone and I felt almost 100% better, and so when the high would wear off I would start feeling sick again but smoked more and felt better again. It also helped me eat (I hadn't eaten in 2 days without throwing it up and threw up everything I ate the day I got sick so like 3 days no food) but the buds got me hungry and I could eat without throwing it up! but if I didn't smoke I would get sick and puke what I ate up lol so I had to keep smoking to keep it down. Marijuana is amazing for nausea though, trust me.

Bronchitis - I had at the same time as shingles and it didn't bother me too bad but bud didn't seem to have much of an effect, probably prolonged how long I had the bronchitis but it cleared up with antibiotics within a short amount of time so no ill effects.

I do believe marijuana IS an immune system suppressor though, because it seems the more I am smoking (like every day) the easier I get sick, but if you're not high all day every day it probably isn't a huge issue.

7. I usually smoke if I have a cold or the flu. Well not smoke, I vape when I'm sick. I cant sleep and have constant headaches, but getting high fixes most of those problems. I also never take any other medication besides marijuana.

8. :eek: Well, coughing usually indicates there is something in the respiratory passages that shouldn't be there, and in the case of a smoker that something is the harmful chemicals found in smoke. The body is simply trying to protect itself with the cough reflex, which is a vital part of our body's complicated defense mechanism. But despite the body's best efforts to cough these toxins out, some of the poisons in the smoke remain in the lungs. What this means is that over time the smoker's health gets worse, never better, as a direct result of inhaling smoke. :(

9. Ok, I have major sinus problems, runny itchy nose and a bit of a cough (yuck!) But when debating whether to smoke or not I came on here and read a couple pages of other people's experiences, this is mine: I can actually breathe out of my nose! Very sensitive to my body right now and am thirsttyyy which I need to hydrate anyway. I think this was an overall success. Do it! :smoke:

10. Ok, I have major sinus problems, runny itchy nose and a bit of a cough (yuck!) But when debating whether to smoke or not I came on here and read a couple pages of other people's experiences, this is mine: I can actually breathe out of my nose! Very sensitive to my body right now and am thirsttyyy which I need to hydrate anyway. I think this was an overall success. Do it! [​IMG]

11. dude i am smokin the 'real good shit and browsing on my computer too when i found this threas googling high while sick. thats when you know when people say they be high and not.

12. i think it matters on the strain and what type of cold/illness you have...

theres no such thing as ANY strain curing/helping any illness.

im sick right now and i dont like the smoke (its more harsh going down than usual) but the effect is much better. but this is just for my cold using the strain i have...

experiment and see what works for you.