Seperating Mind From Body?

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by MiZZuRKeD, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Usually everything is off and it's dark...doesn't really matter though, that's just me..

2. I didn't say people who claim to astral project aren't 'normal.' I also don't think that having a psychiatric diagnosis necessarily means something is 'wrong' with a person. In some cases, given what society deems 'normal,' I see an official diagnosis of 'disorder' as a badge of honor.

However, I'm pretty sure that if you tell a psychologist or psychiatrist your spirit literally separates completely from your body, you're going to get a diagnoses and a prescription of some kind. I'm pretty sure it would be dissociative disorder per the DSM-IV. Unless you were very frank about marijuana use. DID can't be diagnosed until they rule that out since it's effects so closely mimic the disorder.

By the same token, if a mainstream Christian goes to the same office talking too much about their personal relationship with Jesus, they're going to get a diagnosed with religious delusions and get a probably similar prescription.

FWIW, the concept is defined as depersonalization. You call it astral projection. The doctor calls it a symptom.

3. and we call him bullshit.

4. We, eh?

[​IMG]

5. check this out for more help mizz.

hxxp://www.dreamviews.com/community/showthread.php?p=869820#post869820

6. We who?
    Fun fact: Referring to oneself in third person is considered one symptom of narcissism. Your self appointed title of “Astral Projector, himself” and several other characteristics you've exhibited lead me to believe you might relate to the concept. I think you should look it up.

If I were you; instead of arguing with and attempting to demean Sam, I'd probably take a few notes on the scientific mumbo-jumbo he's spouting. Later, I'd use his "bullshit evidence" to back up my proven facts to enlighten other non-believers. Ya know, the deluded crack-pot scientists and uneducated lying doctors.

Hopefully, I'd do myself the favor of considering his points too, though I disagreed with him. Especially because I disagreed with him.

See, sometimes I change my mind or realize I was outright wrong. However, when I close my mind to viewpoints and knowledge other than my own, I usually remain blind to my own weaknesses and misinformation. As unpleasant as it is looking at my faults, I'd rather see them so I can work on correcting them.

Unless I missed something, neither Sam nor anyone else ever said astral projection was "bullshit." You're the only poster in this thread I've noticed throwing that word or any other insults (i.e. snide nicknames). It's beginning to wear on me too. This is called a CHILLOUT zone but watching you try to pick a fight is not my idea of chilling out.

My bet is that you won't be able to get Sam to actually verbally fight with you. Maybe, though. Never do know who's going to win a "game" until the whistle blows.

Personally, I can't even consider your perspective because you're not responding with anything but redundant attacks and attempts to teach the OP how to astrally project.

Again, I need to unlearn that kind of communication, not practice it. I also don't want to learn to astrally project, I already know I can't. I tried it for awhile about fifteen years ago. While I was able to expand my consciousness, I wasn't able to 'go' anywhere. I just make do with my car.<o></o> Thanks for sharing, though.

Maybe you'd get more out of starting a separate astral projection thread and letting us get back to our discussion of bullshit. I'm new to this site, but I'm sure there's a philosophy or spirituality sub-form somewhere. But since Sam already said something similar, you've likely dismissed the idea already. Never mind.

It just occurred to me I might be inadvertantly becoming the pawn of a narcissist.
    <o></o>In light of that, I'm going to steer this imaginary lime light back at the OP.

<o></o>
    Mizzurked; I claim no insight, but I have experienced similar things. It's the mind-body connection at work. When I can relax my mind, my body follows. Counting doesn't work for me but I know it's is a common relaxation technique/sleep aid. When I meditate/practice other relaxation techniques, I do experience unusual physical sensations. I almost always feel tingling sensations. I suspect it has to do with my blood pressure and/or circulation.

<o></o>
    Sometimes; I too, could swear I can physically feel different parts of my brain being stimulated or doing some sort of brain-stuff. I don't know if it's even physically possible. I just know I experience the sensation. And it's frequently during meditation.

Does integrated fit any better than separated?

Just recently, I experienced something new. I felt like I was falling very slowly forward from standing even though I was laying on my side. I didn't feel near sleep or even deeply relaxed, It continued when I opened my eyes, but less pronounced. It stopped when I would sit up, but quickly returned when I laid down again in any position. Since I knew I was safe and not physically falling and gravity appeared to be working as usual, I decided to just experience it, let myself fall. Where I fell was deeply asleep come to think of it.

I associated it only with my relaxation state. Usually, it takes me far more time and effort to get from mildly relaxed to fully asleep. But Sam's original idea now has me suspecting sleep chemistry stuff is involved. He even has me wondering if the relaxation/meditation state I experience is indeed an early sleep phase. Damn you Sam for making me play your thinking games with your silly sleep studies! If I knew how to "+rep" you in retaliation, I would.

I don't understand exactly why this stuff happens to me relaxed, asleep, awake, on an astral plane I'm ignorant of. I thought I could safely leave that to the brain scientists. I was content to believe that they do understand it and consider it normal. I have limited education in hard sciences. I struggle with retaining details and I don't know Latin.

However; if it's sleep related, I probably should pay closer attention and start taking notes. The exact why of it may be of real importance to me. It sure will if I decide to discuss any of it with my MD. He won't know what brain-stuff is because it's not a real word. He also won't tutor me in basic anatomy or medical terminology. Nor is he going to provide me with references in layman's terms for every question I ask. I don't expect him to, it's not his job. My job is to report my current symptoms as accurately and completely as possible. His is to manage my medication accordingly. Fortunately, I have the internet with Google and people like Sam who are able and willing to spend their time doing so for me and other perfect strangers, for free.

I find I get a bit more out of the doctor-patient relationship when we're speaking the same basic language. I suffer from sleep-related problems. And I say suffer, because they have a very significant negative impact on my overall health and life. Even worse, my symptoms sometimes affect the lives of my family and others who have to deal with me.

Meditation, improving sleep hygiene, cutting down on caffeine, diet changes and many other things within my power have helped, but not enough.

That's why I relented and saw a doctor about it. That's why I relent and take ativan to sleep when I need to. I say relent because I'd rather not do either. But I believe, right now I need to anyhow. Otherwise, I'll likely end up in a hospital on much more harmful drugs with a whole slew of other new problems to come home to afterward. I say this because serious sleep deprivation has led to exactly that in my past. More than once. No moar, plz. I'll just accept that I need medical help with this one at this point.

Absolutely agree.
    Is there a recreational drug use other than marijuana topic? It would probably be more readily accepted there.

Xanax is one of the benzos I've never been prescribed so I don't recognize it.
    Thanks for posting that, I couldn't have lmao at the irony otherwise. :hello:

<o>
    </o>

7. Well to be honest I did. In fact I said "Astral Projection is bullshit."
    Only as a response to the original quoted statement of Grapalicious'. I really just said it to be inflammatory.

But anyways, great response, MMJNoob.

8. This is not the place to debate the existence of astral travel, so please take the debate elsewhere.

9. I've notified a mod, and requested that this thread be moved to the appropriate section. So no worries, it's not an issue.

Now, please, indulge use with a response.

10. I'd appreciate that too. I spent quite a bit of time to compose posts addressing you. I just ask before we all part ways, that you at least read what I wrote and respond.
    I see this thread made "hot" level. I learned from it. I noted some posters who seem wise I can make an effort to read in the future.

Night folks.

11. This is taken from an interview linked below.