Sick Plants? Have A Question? Ask Here.

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by XchaoticmetalX, Jul 26, 2008.

1. It won't hurt them, worse case would be a lil wilting and that they would get over it in a day or two they were telling me which is probably true for some but luckily all it did too mine was make them sparkle! !....and I had mine under a 1000w Hps in week 4/5..

Attached Files:

2. #15042 Sc00byD00bie, Mar 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2015
    Hi blades!

i need some of your help got a peculiar problem and i hope you guys can help me figure this out.

just a little background:
    i have had this problem happen a few times with different plants in different mediums. all organic but once it was in coco/compost and now in an experimental mix of DE/compost (food grade DE btw).
    i have other plants in the same mix and they do not have a problem, actually they are doing pretty good and so was the plant i will show you up until recently.  i always checked the leaves under a microscope but i never find anything.  
    this plant is one of three mothers all from the same pack of seeds, but again this has happened to other plants in the past from different strains all together.
    the only thing that has happened to this plant recently was that i took a lot of clones from it (a lot meaning i took something like 70% of foliage off of the plant) my logic tells me it is some kind of pest/parasite/disease that broke out after the heavy clone taking due to the weakened state of the plant.
    her two sisters also got a very heavy hair cut but they show absolutely no signs of malady and are vegging well.

The symptoms starts with some yellowing leaves followed by curling of leaves, dying yellowing leaves, necrosis at the edge of the leaves and overall loss of vigor and stunted growth. effects can be seen on all leaves old and new. in the past when this happened to some of my plants the end was a dead plant. so im hoping i can find the cause of this before it gets out of hand. at one point i thought root aphids and i had treated with imid but it didn't help (this was 6 months ago).
    my guess is something in the root zone, maybe aphids after all but i don't know. i plan on opening the pot later today and having a good look.

so here is the plant, you can see her two sisters behind doing well. they all get the same treatment, so i dont think there is a lack of nutrients, but maybe something in the roots [​IMG]
    20150330_122521_resized.jpg 20150330_122537_resized.jpg 20150330_122553_resized.jpg 20150330_122614_resized.jpg 20150330_122634_resized.jpg 20150330_122650_resized.jpg

(ignore the little white specs you can see on some of the leaves, i was drilling some plastic cups for the clones and some shavings landed there)
    thanks!

3. --------------
    just saying dirtdiggler some weed plants do show red colors on there stems so it could be genetic ..if you been feeding them ok they might be fine,the dont look to bad mate,,,,,mac, 

4. Is rockwool or seed towel propagation method better? Which is preferred and why thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

5. It's each to their own really man.
    I suggest germin a few both ways and carve your own path :) many of us will tell you our preferred methods and you may have good success and like it but until you try a few you will never know.

I personally go paper towel for most but Autoflowers I just plop the seed into final pot.

Chef.

Head Chefs Indoor and Outdoor Adventures - http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1289059-Headchef%27s-indoor-and-outdoor-adventures

6. #15047 scoobyd, Mar 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2015
    View attachment 1735481

can someone give me some advice on this a few leaves were like this today when i checked the strain is vanilla kush by barneys and is in week 4 of veg 

7. Yep, male. Be smart. Save him and pollinate one branch of your female. Collect the 10-30 seeds and have enough for next grow.

Im sorry bro I help a ton of people a day and have a hard time remembering what each afflicted plant issue is.

From looking alone the plants look healthy. I dont see any issue with the leaves. Many plants I have grown from beginning to end have red stalks as mac said, it's a genetic tendency. My wife just ordered a plant that is pink and white with red stalks, a variegated cut and its completely healthy besides the genetic mutation.

If you arent having any issues beyond the red color I wouldnt worry. It may just be a sign of the plant maturing.

If you have some issues going on tho, by all means, please, share them here.

My first thought when I saw your plants was root aphids. My second thought when I read your post was root aphids. As I saw the words roots aphids and imidocloprin my brain flashed back to the time where 3 years in a row I couldnt eradicate root aphids no matter what I did.

Nowadays I keep no pest strips in my room 24/7. I do root drenches of 5x the toxic limit of pyrethrin, often mixing it with other things like spinosod. The pyrethrin root drench means they drink the poison in. Theyll die from it.

Imidoclprin wont kill them. Trust, few neonicotineoids will, if they have any effect at all.

Youll know its root aphids because the plants will yellow and die from the roots up, leaving the top canopy alone until the end. Yields will diminish greatly, and youll pull your hair out trying to solve the issue.

Seal the room with 5 no pest strips, air tight, turn off all fans, intake and outake. Put a mask on. If you dont I doubt youll make it out of the room without a bloody nose or passing out.

Mix up pyrethrin at 5-10x the recommended dose. Youll wipe out your microbes with this treatment and its toxic as F.

Keep females of any species away from the room, specifically mammals, birds or fish. Neurotoxicity could occur.

Drench your roots. Theyll crawl out into the air and suffocate, theyll crawl back into the roots and the poison will penetrate their exoskeleton. One way or another theyll die from this shit.

What did I do?

I threw my harvest away. I threw my plants away. I switched from soil to hydro. I lit the field on fire, burning the plants up. It was a shitty experience. Since then I read for weeks on how to eradicate these bastards. This is the worst pest you can get, worse than 100 billion borg mites.

I baked my soil in an oven, microwaved it, steamed it on a stove to kill them. It worked.

Now I know to use pyrethrin and dichlorvoris aka no pest strips. Theres not a bug on this green earth that can withstand that treatment.

If you didnt spray the leaves with anything while under hot lights then it could be the beginning of magnesium deficiency

8. I haven't sprayed them would you recommend I add some Epsom salts next feed to rectify this ?

9. Not without another pic or two. Can you turn the HID off when you take the shot? Is it lower foliage only?

Is there a chance the leaf touched a hot surface like a bulb? What type of lights?

10. --------------------
    yea it looks like what pokesmot said about a light touching the leaf,,,,or even some thing on the your fingers when youve touched the plant...i dont think its any thing serious ,,,but a clearer picture of the plant all over would be good,,,,,,mac.

11. It's lights off at the moment and I sprayed with filer spray alg a mic that's why leaves are wet. The lights I am using is 250 watt hps and 200 watt blue cfl .. biobizz light mix soil and the bio bizz grow bloom heaven and top max nutes is what I use

Attached Files:

12. Full pic

Attached Files:

13. #15054 rain dancer, Mar 31, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
    If the intraveinal chlorosis continues mix epsom salt at .5 - 2 tsp per gallon of water depending on severity and do a foliar spray (under the leaves, never on top) and see if that doesnt help.

In the full pic i was searching the lower leaves for magnesium deficiency. It always present on lower foliage first. I didnt see any but maybe a bit on one but cant tell if its just the flash or not.

That crack in your leaf is a humidity issue, usually the humidity is too low. It should be around 60-70% in veg or higher.

14. Says on the biobizz alg a mic to foliar spray both underneath and top .. yeah I think my humidity has been between 40 and 50 so maybe too low ill be switching to flower the weekend. Thanks for your input I'm still a noob this will be my first non auto grow last two grows were ok fluffy buds and a few problems hopefully do better this time around

15. Here's some very friendly advice from an experienced grower. NEVER EVER trust the bottle :smoke:

16. Haha ok thanks.. will they be ok I sprayed them earlier when lights went off both top and underneath

17. As long as lights are off youll be okay. But if you turn them on wet, youll have spots like the original post you asked about.

18. Ok will just do underneath in future thanks for your help ☺

19. #15060 rain dancer, Mar 31, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
    Youre welcome man, anytime :)