Organic insect repellants: Cantharis, Ganja-Guru

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by cantharis, Jul 2, 2008.

1. but does it make your buds taste soapy or garlicky? Also, do any of you know if you can taste neem oil if used?

2. A problem I had last year was with aphids, the little tiny insects that hide under the baby leaves. One symptom of aphids is curled, irregular leaves. Aphids feed on seedlings. I had success with a pyrethrin based insecticide called "Concern", but there are many pyrethrin based products. Pyrethrin comes from the chrysanthemum flower and is naturally derived.

3. beer don't work worth a shit if you're infested. the copper wire trick works as does cocoa shells or egg shells shattered and spread all around your plants.

4. Aye, nothing is better than seeing a dead ring of slugs around your plant where the copper is!

:bongin: ~Experimentalist

5. The copper won't kill but repel the slugs. i guess it kills them if they touch it maybe. Lol.

6. oh shit! i hate slugs!

7. I second this. I used Diatamaceaous earth all last year and really never had any bug problems. We also ordered lady bugs and praying mantis's offline and slowly released them onto the plants over the season. Worked out well for us with those two things and a good amount of inspecting..

8. soap gets rid of most insects, and the garlic is more for the scent. If you have a problem with slugs put bunch of salt around the perimeter of the plant, but make sure none is close enough to sink into the roots(about a yard).

9. That recipe is far from being organic my friend.Have you any idea how many chemicals are in your normal everyday soap? You named Irish Spring as being a good soap to use.The soap they sell nowadays are actually detergent.All it is is petroleum derivatives.(!eww!)If it works,great, but if you want something truly organic take out the soap. I have greenhouses with tomato under them. We use a mixture of garlic,hot pepper(the more spicy the better),and red onion. I use a hand crank to turn it all into paste,but i amuse a blender would do fine.Mix the nastiness in with water and your golden...we use it to keep the bugs away and it works pretty well.tinker with the mixture but in my experience the more hot pepper the better....not sure what that's gonna do for the taste of your buds but it does not change the flavor of tomatoes in the least bit.

For all of you stoners who bathe here's a good alternative to the crap they sell in stores.

Not perfectly natural but its close.

Homemade Soap
    Equipment:
    Stainless steel stock pot
    half gallon glass jar
    rubber spatula or long handled wooden spoon
    scale that will weigh up to 38 ounces
    thermometer, meat or candy is fine
    mold with cover, I recommend a heavy plastic mold the size of a large shoe box if you intend to make
    soap only occasionally. I use industrial plastic sheet of freezer paper two large towels or a blanket
    ***safety glasses
    ***rubber gloves
    Ingredients:
    12 oz lye (Red Devil, found beside Draino, do not use Draino)
    32 oz water (My well water is hard so I buy it)
    24 oz coconut oil (health food store)
    24 oz olive oil (do not use virgin, the less pure the better)
    38 oz vegetable oil (Crisco solid, not liquid oil)
    4 oz fragrance/essential oil if desired botanicals if desired ie: 8 oz pulverized oatmeal or 4 oz cornmeal
    or 2 oz dried herbs/flowers
    Dissolve lye in water. This is best done under an exhaust fan or outdoor. Stand back and avoid fumes.
    Set aside to cool. In the stainless steel stock pot melt the Crisco and coconut oil. Add the olive oil and
    allow to cool.
    Grease your soap mold now. Some soap makers prefer silicone spray but my purpose in making my
    own soap is to avoid using things like that. I use Crisco. Fit the freezer paper into the bottom and two
    sides of the mold to make removing the soap easier. Grease the paper.
    When both the oils and lye mixtures have cooled to 90* you are ready to blend. You can speed cooling
    by using a sink of cool water and setting the mixtures in to cool. If one cools too much you can warm it
    in a sink of warm water.
    You need to have 10-40 minutes of uninterrupted time now. Slowly pour the water/lye mixture into the
    oils. You'll quickly see a reaction. Stir in a consistent manner. Don't beat as you would eggs but stir
    quickly enough to keep the mixture in constant motion. If you're creating bubbles in the mixture you are
    going too fast. Continue to stir until the soap "traces." You'll feel a slight difference in consistency as

10. Oops....here's the rest:

the soap begins to saponify. When tracing has occurred you'll be able to drizzle a small amount of soap
    back onto the top of the soap in the pan and it will leave a trace before sinking back into the rest of the
    mixture. After a batch or two you'll recognize when tracing has occurred by the feel of the soap while
    stirring.
    If you want to add botanicals/grains to your soap now is the time to do it. Remove one cup of soap
    (doesn't need to be exactly a cup, whatever it takes to mix with the botanical/grains) and stir in with
    whatever you're adding in a separate bowl. Oatmeal makes a nice complexion soap, corn meal adds
    texture to scrub dirty hands. As soon as it's mixed pour it back into the pan and stir. If you're going to
    add essential or fragrance oil pour it in slowly now. Continue to stir until well mixed then pour into
    prepared mold. Cover mold, wrap it in towels or blanket to keep warm and leave it undisturbed for 18
    hours. No peaking! The soap will rise to approximately 160* and then cool down. Don't uncover until
    it's cooled.
    Allow soap to sit in the uncovered mold for 12 hours. Loosen sides and turn over onto a clean
    sideboard. You should cut your bars from the large mold within three days. You can cut it at any time
    but three days seems to be a good window. The soap doesn't become difficult to cut and
    smaller bars cure faster. Allow to cure 3-6 weeks before using.

11. i realize this is a total noob question, but when you say just rinse them before you dry them, won't some of the trichomes come off?

or can i just spray everywhere but the buds :/ ?

12. A tobacco with a very high nicotine content works well.

I've always heard a mix of beer, tobacco, and a small amount of human urine does the trick.
    Just best to make sure it's a good beer, most American beers contain formaldehyde. German beers or good American beers are the way to go. As for tobacco...cigarette tobacco has all sorts of additives and is best left alone. A good organic pipe tobacco or home-grown is generally the best way to go. There's some mountain strains of tobacco with very high nicotine contents that are very hardy and very easy to grow. And if you can't find human urine you're not looking hard enough.

13. You´re joking - I want to get plastered not pickled.

That would be totally forbidden in Europe.

14. Yeah, the german's are onto something with their beer purity laws...not a list of what can't be in beer, which can be a mile long and still not have everything bad on it, but a list of only the things allowed in it.

That's also why I brew my own beer and wine.

15. I'm looking for a kind of solid answer on this

Will either of these recipes work as a detterant for slugs?

-BW

16. Slugs, for me, are a deadly problem for seedlings. So i put chemical repellant around my plants if they're started in the woods. The problem is that they come out afyter rains, and the heavy rains wash out the repellant so you'd need to go back after each big rain and add more. Beer in hald cans burried in soil also works but same problem with repellant (washed out with rain).
    If you're going all guerilla, you can also (what I did with success) place the solo cups in a crate which is tied on a sturdy elevated bush. Slugs don't climb up trees (they didn't here anyway lol). When they're 1 foot tall with a stronger stem, slugs for me never bothered my mj. Oldpork recommends to circle your plants at all times with copper rings as he caught some slugs climbing up some mature plants.

Good luck.

17. #37 fawohodie, Apr 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2009
    the ganja guru recipe has to be boiled for ten minutes like the other recipe? and does it have to be applied when still warm or cold

18. I made a sort of tea with garlic, clove, black pepper, a drop of oil and a drop of soap.
    I am very nervous to spray this on my 3 plants that are infested with spider mites.
    Can anyone give me a little reassurance and tell me if this is okay to spray with?
    The plants are about 2 weeks into flower.
    Any help is greatly appreciated

19. if some of the rescipe is not used can it be put into the the fridge to be used like 3 days after?

20. sick post, needed this answered!