The History of the Waffle

Discussion in 'General' started by burnttwaffle, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Waffles have been around since at least Greek times .
    On August 24, 1869 Cornelius Swarthout got the first patent for a waffle iron in the U.S.

The ancient Greeks used to cook very flat cakes, which they called obleios, between two hot metal plates. This method of cooking continued to be used in the Middle Ages by the obloyeurs who made all sorts of oublies, which were flat or rolled into coronets. The oublie became the waffle in the 13th century, when a craftsman had the idea of forging some cookie plates reproducing the characteristic pattern of honeycombs, which at that time were called gaufres (from the Old French wafla)."
    ---Larousse Gastronomique, Completely Revised and Updated [Clarkson Potter:New York] 2001 (p. 1285) "The word [waffle] is from the Dutch wafel, and first appeared in English print in 1735. The item was known to the Pilgrims, who had spent time in Holland before sailing to America in 1620, and waffle parties became popular in the latter part of the eighteenth century. Thomas Jefferson returned from France with a waffle iron, a long-handled patterned griddle that encloses the batter and gives it its characteristic crispness and shape. A century later vendors on city streets sold waffles hot and slathered with molasses or maple syrup. Waffles continued to be extremely popular breakfast items in the twentieth century, an electric waffle irons made the timing of the cooking easier. Then, in 1953 Frank Dorsa introduced frozen waffles into supermarkets, calling them Eggo Waffles. At the 1964 World's Fair Belgian Waffles made with yeast and thicker than the usual waffle, were an immediate sensation, and they are sold today at stands, county fairs, carnivals, and other fast-food outlets."
    ---The Encyclopedia of American Food and Drink, John Mariani [Lebhar-Friedman:New York] 1999 (page 343)

• The Brussels Waffle<sup id="cite_ref-0" class="reference">[1]</sup> or Belgian Waffle is prepared from a yeast-leavened batter, and is often a more light and crisp waffle compared to other waffle varieties. It is often served warm by street vendors, dusted with confectioner's sugar, and sometimes topped with whipped cream or chocolate spread. It may also be served as a dessert, with fruits, whipped cream or ice cream.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Belgian Waffles shown here served with fruit salad and cream

• The Liège waffle<sup id="cite_ref-1" class="reference">[2]</sup> (from the city of Liège, in eastern Belgium) is a waffle usually bought and eaten warm on the street. They are usually freshly made in small shops, but it is also possible to buy them in supermarkets. They are smaller, sweeter and denser than "Belgian waffles". The last-minute addition of nib sugar to the batter produces a caramelized sugar coating. This gives a distinctive flavor. Most are served plain, but some are vanilla or cinnamon flavored, and can be served with toppings like fruits, creams, and chocolate. The Liège waffle was invented by a cook of the prince-bishop of Liège in the 18th century.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Liège waffles with berries.

• American waffles<sup id="cite_ref-2" class="reference">[3]</sup>, common in the United States, are made from a batter leavened with baking powder, rather than yeast. They are usually served as a sweet breakfast food, topped with butter and various syrups. but are also found in many different savory dishes, such as chicken and waffles. They are generally denser and thinner than the Belgian waffle. Waffles were first introduced to North America in 1620, by pilgrims who brought the method from Holland. Thomas Jefferson brought a waffle iron from France, and waffle frolics or parties became popular in the late eighteenth century. Waffles were eaten with both sweet (e.g. molasses or maple syrup) and savoury (such as kidney stew) toppings.<sup id="cite_ref-3" class="reference">[4]</sup>
    • In Ireland and the UK, the potato waffle, is a savory frozen food in waffle shape, made of reconstituted potato, oil and seasonings. These waffles may be baked, grilled, prepared in a toaster or fried, and are used as a side dish or snack.
    • Hong Kong style waffle, in Hong Kong called a "grid cake" (格仔餅), is a waffle usually made and sold by street hawkers and eaten warm on the street<sup id="cite_ref-4" class="reference">[5]</sup> . They are similar to a traditional waffle but larger, round in shape and divided into four quarters. They are usually served as a snack. Butter, peanut butter and sugar are spread on one side of the cooked waffle and then it is folded into a semi circle to eat. Egg, sugar and evaporated milk are used in the waffle recipes, giving them a sweet flavor. They are generally soft and not dense. Traditional Hong Kong style waffles are full of the flavor of yolk. Sometimes different flavors, such as chocolate and honey melon flavor are used in the recipe and create various colors.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Two stroopwafels

• Stroopwafels (Dutch: syrup waffles) are thin waffles with a syrup filling. They were first made in Gouda in the Netherlands, during the 18th or 19th century. The stiff batter for the waffles is made from flour, butter, brown sugar, yeast, milk, and eggs. Medium sized balls of batter are put on the waffle iron. When the waffle is baked, and while it is still warm, it is cut into two halfs. The warm filling, made from syrup, brown sugar, butter, and cinnamon, is spread in between the waffle halfs, which glues them together.<sup id="cite_ref-gouda_5-0" class="reference">[6]</sup> They are popular in Belgium and the Netherlands.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    A waffle iron for Scandinavian waffles.

• Scandinavian waffles are soft and generally divided into four or five segments, traditionally vaguely heart-shaped. The segments are often separated and eaten one by one or folded in pairs. Scandinavian waffles are mostly eaten with whipped cream and berry jam, for example raspberry jam or blueberry jam. the "Scandinavian" waffle is believed to originate from Sweden<sup class="noprint Template-Fact">[citation needed]</sup>. In Sweden these waffles are also referred to as "frasvÃ¥ffla" which roughly translated means crispy waffle.
    i got that info from the top google sites wen i searched history of the waffle:wave:

i enjoy waffles so much, i thought i should shair the history and the wonderful waffle with my fellow blades!:hello::):smoke:

Attached Files:

2. dude your amazing. learn somethin new every day. :)

3. i never really like waffles that much just kidding their FUCKING NUTS good

4. Good read. I LOVE stroopwafels. Had many while in the Netherlands. But sir, its time to go attend a WA.. Waffles Anonymous. lol jk.

5. im a pancake man myself.

6. i just made myself like 4 blueberry eggo waffles. oh my god

7. im just glad that one of the first ice cream vendors ran out of cups, and had a large supply of waffles, ultimately creating the first ice cream cone so he didnt have to waste (melting) all of his expensive ice cream. I think my first grade teacher taught me that haha

8. Hahahaha, I just laughed so hard when i scrolled through this thread after some bong rips, and i just pictured you thinking of making this thread, and i have to ask...where you baaked?
    :D
    Now i want waffels

9. I surely thought this was going to be a bio on the burntwaffle.

I was only slightly disappointed however when I was able to at least see pictures of delicious waffles.

PANNEKOEKEN HUIS

10. sober as a bird.:D

i just love waffles, im like the waffle dude of GC!:)

11. Waffle's are pretty good. I usually end up eating some at night when I'm high/drunk and want something to eat quick. We always have a few different types... Buttermilk, blueberry, and apple cinnamon. Blueberry are the best.

12. yea, i used to be real big into waffles. I've switched to bagels though. something about an onion or everything bagel from dunkin donuts. Weird, because i hate onions, but onion bagels are delicious; toasted with cream cheese

13. good read. i clicked on the chicken and waffles link, and now i want that. about to go get some actually.

14. ha glad everyone is enjoying my post:D

15. waffle house waffles are the shit. that's the place to go when you're blazed. good eatin for cheap!

16. dude i want a waffle now.

17. ha those pictures get ya dont they:p

i love waffles. I can honestly say, i doubt there is a person on this site who loves them more than me

i will gladley take any waffle eating challenges :p:)

18. ''BURNT WAFFLE'' your one freaked out individual....

never in my life did i think i would get the 4-1--1, on a waffle,,,,of all things,,,,

plu you decided to be celibate,,,,

man after this thread,,,, YOU GOT TO GET LAID HOMIE,, all that testosterone buildup,,, is getting you delusional,,,,:p

19. haha 8 months left!!!! i am thinking about cutting it down to 4 months because i found a girl im really into and she is kool with it and all but i mean, she needs sum lovin, i dont wanna ruin this by not givvin her any lovin for 10 whole months...

hmmmm chicken, all of are conversation you seem to bring this up

maby deep down, subconcious chicken wants to be celebit too:p:p:p:p

20. Hahah, you would make a thread like this.

Seriously though, I think you might have a serious waffle addiction. You should probably seek some professional help. I think it's time you checked yourself into waffle rehab.