Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

does holding in weed smoke actually get you higher?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Nachtfarbton, Jun 27, 2008.

1. it really is just personal preference for how long you hold to get high

2. No man it doesn't get you higher.the thc is absorbed in less than 3 seconds.more than the that just hurts the lungs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. #63 Storm Crow, Feb 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2014
    How about some real science, instead of speculation?  These are likely older than a lot of you are, but the human body's physiology hasn't changed!  OK- I found them, you get to read them!

Breathhold duration and response to marijuana smoke.       (abst - 1989)
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2554344?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DiscoveryPanel.Pubmed_Discovery_RA&linkpos=2&log$=relatedarticles&logdbfrom=pubmed

Marijuana Smoking: Factors That Influence the Bioavailability of Tetrahydrocannabinol     (full - 1990)        http://www.ukcia.org/research/FactorsThatInfluenceBioavailability.pdf

Response to marijuana as a function of potency and breathhold duration        (abst - 1991)
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2027922?ordinalpos=1&
    itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DiscoveryPanel.Pubmed_Discovery_RA&linkpos=1&log$=relatedarticles&logdbfrom=pubmed

Granny

4. #64 ClinicalExplosion420, Feb 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2014
    To break down all the science posted above for anyone to high to read all the technical mumbo jumbo.

There is NO correlation between length of time you hold in your hit And how high you get, hold it in however long makes you happy but for those people that still want a time i would say no more then 10 second is needed

As for the Bioavailability of THC
    First I'll give you the plain and simple then I'll go into depth about it.

Joints get you high but waste a lot.
    Pipes get you about as high with little to no waste
    Bongs get you the highest with little to no waste

Now for the actual science.
    20-30% THC is instantly lost no matter how you smoke through Pyrolysis (A form of Thermolysis Basically it burns up/evaporates into nothingness)
    So now we understand the instant loss we can move on to efficiency of smoking methods.

Joint:
    20-30% is instantly lost through Pyrolysis like previously stated
    40-50% is lost in side stream smoke (all the smoke that is let off the end while it is siting, hence why people say joints waste weed)
    20-30% is delivered to you.
    Pipe:
    There was no info on dry pipes specifically other then it insinuating that joints and pipes deliver roughly the same.

The Facts are that Pipes have way more control over side stream loss making them more efficient, and again we instantly lose 20-30%.

This is where the info falls off, the rest is a guess. 20-40 goes in you, and finally the rest is pretty much resin and plant material that pulls through without being burnt. Again this is just the educated guess I'm making, feel free to correct me with evidence

Bong:
    To start for this one they actually identified Pyrolysis at around 20% with zero side stream loss.
    They measured ~40% THC into your lungs.
    The other ~40% in plant matter and resin.
    Now they used An acrylic bong for this study, and I believe that glass has a higher efficiency then plastic, more on this below

Warning!!!
    there is no science beyond this point just speculation and educated guesses based on what I've seen and my experiences with the two

With a glass bong I noticed resin does not build up as fast as it does on acrylic so I am making the assumption that if resin is not building up then more THC is going into you, possibly up to 50-60%

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 5020T using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. I'll agree on 5 seconds 👌👌👍anymore I feel like I need to sit down the rest of the day/night

6. #66 ClinicalExplosion420, Feb 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2014
    Holy shit granny liked my post. 

I would like to thank the academy.

7. For all the people that said they hold it in for 10 seconds thats dumb. At the point your lungs are absorbing the smoke. Your damaging your lungs. Also to answer the question just be safe and do it for 3-4 seconds.

8. Thanks, granny!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity F

9. ghosting your hot is holding it until there is no smoke when you exhale.

10. Studies show that after 3 secs your avioli in your lungs have absorbed 90% of the THC and any further time will result in an excess of tar build up :)

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

11. If i smoke a joint i usually hold the smoke in for about 5 seconds.. your lungs need 5 seconds to absorb all the thc, even less maybe.. but if im short on weed, and i waterfall bong i hold it in for like 10 secs.. just to make sure  :smoke:

12. Holding it in for a few seconds is all you need for it to work. Ghosting it just enables more toxins to attach to the lungs and makes the user feel light headed, that's what gives some people the allusion that it is getting them higher, when really they're brains are lacking a bunch of oxygen. Stay faded :smoking:

13. Just thought I'd let you all know that I googled this question shortly after snapping a fatty keif bowl... hahah

I just cleared out my keif chamber because I ran outa bud so I wanted to get the most out of what I had left. Ended up ghosting it hah but I kinda feel like I'm a tad more high than usual. Then again, I'm high as sh*t so it probably didn't make much difference :smoke:

14. Yeah pretty sure holding it in longer doesn't get you noticeably higher, and you're just absorbing more carcinogens and tar into your lungs so why bother

15. I like to hold my hits in for close to a minute at a time. That probably explains why it takes me over a half an hour to smoke one joint. It's a habit that I'm going to have to break I guess. I didn't know that I was doing more harm than good.

16. Yeah, its the lack of oxygen going to your brain thats getting you "Higher"

17. Here's a fun idea!

Take bigger longer hits.

(No holding in required)

18. #78 HugeEgo, May 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2015
    I tend to just inhale / exhale but sometimes ill get a nice tickley feeling on the back of my throat from the smoke I like that so i tend to hold the smoke for 2/3 sec's to enjoy the feeling but for the most part it's just inhale/exhale

19. Use a vaporizer!!!! They are awesome and you can smoke so hard without much damage!!!

20. I've heard it's good to hold it in 10 seconds. I kind of time it out on my phone stop watch cause counting in my head gets off when I'm high.