Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

does holding in weed smoke actually get you higher?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Nachtfarbton, Jun 27, 2008.

1. you graphed effectiveness over time. it would rise rise rise then at one point start to drop quickly like the hunch back of Notre dame

2. seriously scroll up.

3. #43 baaaked420, Apr 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Ghosting refers to holding a hit in for 15-30 seconds, and no smoke comes out wen u exhale. Then later u may burp or cough and some smoke will come out.

Or ghosting can mean the way u inhale it. Just after the smoke is in ur mouth after after u hit, dont breathe the smoke in. open ur mouth slowly and the smoke comes out, and u should b able to inhale it as a littlw ball of smoke. Youtube

4. Its like 4 sec or somethin.... Just dont blow the smoke out instantly like a cigarette

5. you're depriving yourself of oxygen when you hold your hit in for more than 5sec

the lack of oxygen in your body/head makes you feel higher, but really you just need some air

6. yep and if you cough then you get even higher! :smoking:

7. Ok i know this was post like 3 years ago but it is so ridiculous i had to post.First off you can hold your breath for up to 5 minutes before it even begins to do any damage to your brain,some people like pearl divers can hold their breath for up to 10 mins before it starts to effect them.I also loled at your stupid guess on how many brain cells a person actually has that was a good one.You do realize that you hold your breath while sleeping on occasion right?Hell with your logic by the time we all reached 50 we would be retarded,with all the holdinmg breath for bong rips,swimming,sleeping,any other thing that requires you to hold your breath.

Also to answer the question on numerous occasions i have held each hit in for atleast 30 seconds and i must say i get alot higher.I got so high off one bowl pack one time i fell out of the attic onto my face trying to climb down,then laughed about it for a few mins.Anybody who says you don't get higher holding it in is not a real smoker.:smoke:

8. i hold them in because i have to, since i cant open the window since i found that a small flow of air (that always comes in my window when opened) comes in pushing whatever pot smell there is into the rest of the house

9. I heard 3-5 seconds was the way to go. If you take huge milky hits, then probably more like 5-7 if you can, but if youre just normally toking 3 should be enough. Just enough to be comforable.

10. I've always wondered the answer to this question and so I typed it into Google and searched around. This was the first page I found so I figured to help out when I find the actual answer, I'd post it here. Even though it's an old thread, I made an account just for this. A cheeky bump; here's what I found:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2554344
    That's from "PubMed" a very well respected website database of scientific information and reports from Journals that must be looked at and accepted by a few lines of independently working people. I read these babies all the time. It is pretty much the closest thing we have to a database of true knowledge through science.

Basically, they measured no difference in perceived and actual high's felt after 0, 10 and 20 seconds of breath-holding (controlling all other variables).

If you ask me, don't hold at all. It's just going to make you cough and give you a pneumothorax or emphysema or some shit. And it can be fucking painful.

|| Peace
    || For your enjoyment, a couple of extra tabs I have open at the moment:
    || Louis CK - Comedian
    || http://jonnegroni.com/2013/07/11/the-pixar-theory/ - A comprehensive up-to-date (for now) description of The Pixar Theory.

11. you will obviously feel higher because the longer you hold your hits in the longer you deprive your brain of oxygen

12. No, That's the thing, depriving your brain of oxygen has nothing to do with it.

13. It gets me a bit higher. 5-7 seconds is my usual time of holding. It helps get the job done faster it seems, too.

14. Holding it in for 5 or 6 seconds does get you higher.   Blowing it right out like you would with tobacco isn't nearly as good. 

15. Did you read the article? Have you actually done controlled experiments? 5-6 Seconds is a myth! Stop kidding yourselves. You're only making things harder and dangerous by breath-holding.

16. The molecules are lipophilic. They dissolve not through the normal route as oxygen or carbon dioxide, nor even nicotene, but more like Ventalin (sulbutamol) which dissolves into the lung tissue itself. Carbon dioxide and oxygen transfer into the blood (through 4 small thin membranes) but the THC CBD and CBN and similar compounds go straight into the tissue. Holding your breath allows the irritant receptors to send messages to the DRG - dorsal respiratory group in the pons of your brainstem to make you cough. That action is muscular. Which results in pulsatile bronchial blood flow. This enhances diffusion for the lipophilic molecules as they can bind to serum albumin and travel to the nervous system faster. That makes you feel high quicker. It's also unhealthy and dangerous. And it's only an extra 5-10 minutes quicker high. Not worth it in my opinion. Especially when it doesn't make you higher. Just get's there quicker and kills you quicker too. Is that enough information for you? It's not just your loss if you don't believe it. All your mates are going be practicing pretty unsafe herbal techniques.

17. I hold in hits for 2 seconds usually, gets me pretty baked

18. i do that too!!!!!!! hahaha ive never been cought yet ether :)

19. I don't anymore, it escalates into an uncomfortable high. 1-3 seconds and that's it.

20. i hold for only 1-2 seconds every hit and i always get high