Welcome to Grasscity Forums - Register now for FREE
Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute.
Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Create an Account

what is the carb on my pipe for?

• Please log in to reply

T0kIn_914

T0kIn_914

• Registered Upgraded
  • 128 posts
i do as my friends have told me which is to hold the hole with my finger while im smoking then let it go and breath out...what is the hole/carb for?

xhairs

xhairs

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
the carb (or choke) is really important i think.. your friends were basically right, when your hit is dyin down tap the carb, or let go of it to get some oxygen, makin a bigger hit

RedSorcerer

RedSorcerer

Ganja Ganja

• Registered Upgraded
  • 1,423 posts
That isn't what a carb is for.
But creative imagination.

A carb, or a carburetor is used to stimulate a gust of air to push the smoke in the chamber of your pipe into your lungs.

It's Very Nice.

scary visionary

scary visionary

• Registered Upgraded
  • 531 posts
Its a magic button to send you into oblivion. :D

pinball wizard

pinball wizard

Banned

• Banned by Moderators
  • 2,740 posts
On some pipes, they fill up something like a bong, whith white smoke, and you clear them. (even some small ones do it) some like mine, the carb does little, just because of the design and how the pipe pulls. On my pipe if you let in fresh air, it makes the hit almost burn, it hurts, something about how it mixes. I do use it tho, because stale smoke (what stays in the pipe) is quite nasty after a short time, and i blow it out thru the carb after every hit.

firefromabove

firefromabove

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
yeah, the last guy is right, but personally i cant handle using the carb cause it makes me cough. i usually take my hit and when im done i just pull the pipe away from my lips and suck in some air. i know it wastes a little bit of smoke, but ii find it helps keep the cherry. also most people dont like the cherry to keep burning, but when im smoking in the backyard of the rents house, i want to make as little noise as possible.

IglooBuds

IglooBuds

Native Toker

• Registered Upgraded
  • 2,337 posts
yes,
it helps the pipe clear completely of its smoke
also, don't forget to use it if the pipe has one or prepare for people to laugh.
Well they probably won't actually laugh at you, but they will inside for sure.

AJD2

AJD2

Karmeleon

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Make sure you don't confuse "blowing out" for "blowing into the pipe and volcanoe-ing it".

kvcc

kvcc

Banned

• Banned by Moderators
  • 157 posts
^ I had someone do that to me once.

there was at least 2 more hits in that bowl and this noob smoker ruined it for me.

Experienced smokers should never smoke with noobies >_<

AJD2

AJD2

Karmeleon

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Yeah man but you gotta realize everyone was once at nooby at some time. You can't call those people noobies, just idiots.

nerdboytoker

nerdboytoker

Hoont

• Registered Upgraded
  • 143 posts

^ I had someone do that to me once.

there was at least 2 more hits in that bowl and this noob smoker ruined it for me.

my friend wasted 2 good bowls by coughing into the pipe.

but he's like my brother and nothing he does can piss me off. otherwise I would have punched him in the nuts

wait, I did punch him in the nuts... eh

pinball wizard

pinball wizard

Banned

• Banned by Moderators
  • 2,740 posts

Make sure you don't confuse "blowing out" for "blowing into the pipe and volcanoe-ing it".

Yeah, gotta do it gently.

Rhythm of Life

Rhythm of Life

Banned

• Banned by Moderators
  • 6,478 posts

Or they should teach "noobies" how to smoke properly.....

somekind

somekind

Banned

• Banned by Moderators
  • 2,799 posts
I posted this before:

The carburetor works on Bernoulli's principle: the faster air moves, the lower its static pressure, and the higher its dynamic pressure. The carburetor mechanism meters the flow of air being pulled into the chamber. The speed of this flow, and therefore its pressure, determines the amount of combustion of the fuel.

The carb on your pipe is used for controlling the amount of air (oxygen) which causes the weed to burn. Proper burn temperature is desirable in order to not kill the THC. How close can you get it to vap temperature?

For example:
Not opening the carb causes the maximum amount of airflow thru the bowl. The cherry burns hotter and hotter due to the constant flow of air (oxygen) past the cherry (try to imagine a bellows blowing on the embers of a fire).

Example 2:
Try to smoke without holding the carb: No air goes thru the bowl due to the inability to decrease the pressurization of the chamber (for example if you had Superman's lungs and could suck hard enough and long enough, you could effectively smoke this way becuase the decreased pressure would draw air in thru both remaining holes).

Now imagine 2 pipes with different sized carbs. One carb is so small (*or clogged with resin) that releasing it has virtually zero effect on the way the cherry tokes. You haven't carb'd the pipe in this case. Your other pipe has a carb big enough to pass a pencil thru: hitting the carb on this pipe is inexact, and it is not easy to effectively control the burning temperature of your weed.

Example #3:
Your carb has JUST THE RIGHT SIZE. After lighting a bowl, you can release the carb and smoke it open and the weed burns at just the right temperature the whole time.

How to use the carb:

Visualize your VW bug's carburator: what does it do? It's a rotating mechanism which allows air to pass to the combustion chamber by constantly blocking and opening a valve. The carburator is adjusted mechanically to insure the proper amount of air (oxygen) reaches the fuel.

You can mimic a mechanical carburator by tapping the carb on your pipe on and off. This action (repeated tapping of carb) allows you to control the airflow and thus the burning temp of your weed. Varying the duration and speed of tapping the carb allows you to determine the proper amount of burn for your toke. If your bowl is already super cherried, it's likely that toking with the carb open will work fine, because the weed is already burning and needs little extra fuel.

An added benefit of smoking using this carb method is that it causes the smoker to draw slow and steady. The main advantage is avoiding ash hits to the tongue by avoiding vigorous toking, and the resulting air shot you get when the carb is finally opened.

Lastly:
The art of the cherry:

Don't you hate it when you pass a bowl to your friend and instead of just smoking the cherry he re-lights it and burns even more weed? Corollary: When someone hands me a pipe, I test it first by slowly hitting it with the carb on-off-on method; if I can stoke the cherry, I keep smoking it until it's lit and pass it to the next guy.

Check out some of my vids for some proper carb action. Click the sig:

Bandelero

Bandelero

Enjoys marijuana

• Registered Upgraded
  • 1,158 posts

I don't know about that. No one would ever become experienced if there weren't expereinced tokers there to help the "noobies" out when they fuck up. No reason to hate them for it, teach them so that they can enjoy the herb too.

joe Biggs

joe Biggs

eat blotter

• Registered Upgraded
  • 2,061 posts
you plug the card with a finger while lighting the bowl and inhaling. then when you stop lighting the weed you uncarb and clear the hit (inhale all the smoke in the chamber) with oxygen coming in from the carb.

then pass it. and hold your hit in for 5 seconds. then exhale and enjoy.

Terentarno

Terentarno

In love with Mary Jane.

• Registered Upgraded
  • 231 posts
The carb allows for a better hit, you use it to add oxygen to the bowl when your hit starts to die, and its used to clear the smoke. Nobody likes stale smoke in the pipe.

xhairs

xhairs

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

A carb, or a carburetor is used to stimulate a gust of air to push the smoke in the chamber of your pipe into your lungs.

It's Very Nice.

basically, isn't that a fancy way to say what i said?

skunk123454321

skunk123454321

• Registered Upgraded
  • 349 posts

It's Very Nice.

what makes u a pot expert bud

hes right and so are you, imo

on a bong or a pipe it is used so that you stop sucking air through the bowl, but instead suck it through the carb, so u can clear the chamber, but when im hitting a pipe and it gets too harsh ill take a few sucks of air as a cooler and continue hitting, it also pushes the smoke deeper into your lungs, making you more stoned, im pretty sure the latter happens cuz when ever i take a big hit and top it off with some air i get more stoned than a straight hit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users