• May 29 2008 03:28 AM
  • 6 Replies
  • Please log in to reply
  • The Apathetic One

• -m/
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 187 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 03:28 AM

Okay, I've seen a lot of posts where people say things like you have to heat the THC so that it heats and activates or something and if you dont then it wont do anything. And I've also seen posts where people say that that's total bullshit.

I mean this like eating raw weed compared to eating weed that was cooked into something.

I would really appreciate it if someone could clear this up for me.
Replies (6)

• Banned

• PipPipPip
  • tehvishal
  • Banned by Moderators
  • 90 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 03:40 AM

the thc found in the plant is a acid analog of it, it is nonpsychoactive, once heated, it is converted into the psychoactive delta9thc we all love.

• Bay Shark

• chronicman00
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 9,567 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 05:44 AM

the thc found in the plant is a acid analog of it, it is nonpsychoactive, once heated, it is converted into the psychoactive delta9thc we all love.

heat doesnt convert the chemical the plant makes the chemical but ive heard it has something to do with a cell wall?

• blaze and raise

• mrk195smokin
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 05:50 AM

heating it denatures the proteins making the thc usable.

• At least i'm housebroken

• Lebowski
  • Gold Member
  • 6,287 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 06:21 AM

Its called decarboxylation:

Decarboxylation is any chemical reaction in which a carboxyl group (-COOH) is split off from a compound as carbon dioxide (CO2).

And here is a page on cannabisculture.com I found about this:

Does marijuana have to be heated to become psychoactive?

I bought a Coldfinger to make an extract, but my problem is this: Doesn't marijuana have to be heated to become psychoactive?

My solution was to put the marijuana in the oven before putting it in the Coldfinger. But I have no idea how long I should leave it in there, let alone at what temperature. I know THC boils at 392 degrees F. But other cannabinoids, which are essential to the experience, boil off much more quickly. At what temperature can I decarboxylate the THC, while still preserving some of the cannabinoids?

Hockeypoo,
Internet,

Marijuana produces THCA, an acid with the carboxylic group (COOH) attached. In its acid form, THC is not very active. It is only when the carboxyl group is removed that THC becomes psychoactive. When marijuana is smoked, the THC behind the hot spot is vaporized as the hot air from the burn is drawn through the joint or pipe bowl to the unburned material. The liquid THC and other cannabinoids have a boiling point of between 180-200° C (355-392° F). Before they turn gaseous, at around 106° C (220° F), the carboxyl group is released from the molecule as carbon dioxide and water vapor.

You will be extracting the THC using low heat in the commercially made Coldfinger Extractor. (They have a very interesting online catalog at www.edenlabs.org). The THC will not reach a temperature in which decarboxylation takes place. However, if you plan to vaporize or smoke the extract decarboxylation will take place as the oil is used.

However, it is easy to make sure all the THC is decarboxylated and is at full strength before it is extracted. Although decarboxylation takes place rapidly at 106° C, it proceeds at a more gradual pace by placing the cannabis in a room with low relative humidity and room temperature. As the temperature rises, the rate of decarboxylation increases.

Cannabis can also be placed in a food dehydrator to remove the carboxyl group. Although the heat in the food dehydrator doesn't rise to 106° C, the temperature is warm enough to promote drying and the release of the water and CO2. When the marijuana is crispy and brittle you can be assured that the carboxyl group has been removed from the cannabinoids and they are ready for extraction or removal from the plant material.

• muzikman88
  • Gold Member
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 07:10 AM

Decarboxylation is any chemical reaction in which a carboxyl group (-COOH) is split off from a compound as carbon dioxide (CO2).

I'm pretty sure what that is talking about is the process that happens during the curing stage.

If you're looking to ingest your thc, you need to heat the weed so the thc bonds to any fat in the food its being cooked with. If you don't heat it, and were to just eat a piece of weed, your stomach would be unable to extract the thc from the plant. When its heated and bonded to fat, your body can process it. Heating it doesn't making it psychoactive, it just puts it in a medium your body is capable of using.

• Banned

• PipPipPip
  • tehvishal
  • Banned by Moderators
  • 90 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 08:40 AM

yep
this is it
decarboxylation
i remember readoin bout it on THC Chemistry off of google
basically, ur pot has no THC in it, its all an acid form of it where theres a COOH instead of CO2 like lebowski mentioned above, once it is heated, it bcomes CO2 and that is Delta 9 THC, which is psychoactive. This is why you have to heat hash. this is why you cant eat weed and get high. this is why you have to heat weed to get high from it. Cooking it into a butter or some oil heats it up enough to convert it, same with vaporizing, i believe the temp has to be around 150-200degrees farenheit to convert it to THC.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 1999 - 2015 420Network BV | All rights reserved