An inexpensive DIY grow light

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by StuntShine420, May 11, 2008.

1. I'm guessing for the wiring, it would be the same concept as wiring pc axial fans together to a dc plug. All the positives wires connect together then to the positive end of the plug, all the negative wires connect then connect to the negative wire of the plug.

I will definitely try this as I got a super ghetto light setup that I hate involving three power strips.

2. I'm lovin this design. But i bet it costs alot to run. would you be able to grow a plant on 1 maybe 2 bulbs?

3. It really doesn't take much energy to run compared to most MH or HPS based lighting systems, it all depends on the number and type of bulbs you want to run. If you had a couple high output CFLs you might be able to veg a plant on them, but I personally think four is the way.

4. Oh. Ill just stick to the good ol natural sun :)

5. How many bulb you need for 1 plant?

I just need it to veg about a month since I live in asia, where 12-12 here....

How many Blue=6500K and Red=2200K for 1 plant?

Thanks

6. bec its expensive

7. Love the setup, cfl's are the way to go if you're on a budget.

Even if you're not on a budget they are fun and you can be creative with the setups.

8. How much watts will i need for 5 grow? Im using cfls only..

9. Basic rule of thumb is 100W per plant (3-4, 23W CFLS), but you can generally get away with 150W per 2 plants depending how far apart they are. The more the better.

I could be wrong though, I've been doing my research for the past few months and am still a noobie, so any more experiences growers willing to chime in would be great. :wave:

10. awesome idea :) I read the whole thread, and saw no mention of heat issues with the PVC. I just worry about plastic in a metal fixture with sheet metal. Any issues?

11. Yo! Am i the only one who read this post ROTFLOL :smoking:

12. Hey there stunshine I was wondering exactly where you got your wire that you ran from the socket to the lamp cord? I am about to build somethin similar and want to make sure my next trip to town I get the right thing lol. Btw your light fixture is the shit

13. Hello Everyone ,a friend of mine just finished two different light systems for me using this idea it works great!!!! one is for the overhead(12 bulbs,6sockets,6splitters) the other one is a light table w/adjustable lights (4 bulbs)for the underneath the plant it pivots at a 90 degree angle i hope to get up some pics as soon as i can figure out how to put them on the computer

14. So after having a kid and falling out of the scene for a while I got curious came back to see whats goin on these days. This thread has got me all pumped about getting back on the ol saddle lol. I just got blazed before I signed on and had my mind blown seeing the last couple pages since I've been gone. Thank you guys for all the love again! Seeing all these lights everyone made felt really awesome when I thought it was such a simple thing I threw together. I'm gonna stick around again, I missed this place <3 Can't wait to see what I've missed

• Like Like x 2
  15. y cant we see Pix? blurred out

16. Go on Craigslist and download the apps offerup and letgo. There are some killer deals on used gear in my area that’s for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum