DIY Bubble Cloner / Veg Bucket and Using it

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by RobsGreen, May 3, 2008.

1. Clone pro now huh? NIce job Rob.

2. Well I don't know about a pro but it seems to me anyone using a bubble cloner can appear to be one. :smoking:

3. hi
    yeah mate looks like a real pro

i did the same thing with my cloner and hope to get some similar results
    check it out in my NEW GROW thread

4. Hey screwdababylon!, I bet you'll be happy with the setup, just make sure you have the stems in the water and don't be worried if they fall over in the next few hours they'll stand back up.:smoke:

5. its a rubbermaid clearbox, doesnt state the litre's/gallons. If i had to guess i'd say 5-6 gallons? dimensions are 16" length x 9" wide x 11" height. If you say the whisper 100 is a decent pump i'll get that one, should have gotten it originally but things don't always work as planned your first try! XD

thanks man

6. Yeah that pump should be good for you bucket. I actually just ordered another whisper 100, should be here tomorrow. I don't think they get much better until you go to the big style. I kinda like having a bunch of them, if one goes I'll hardly miss it.

7. Hey man! Love this thread, I'm definetely going bubble cloner when I decide to start cloning. I have a few questions though.

Whats to stop you from just straight up vegging all 6 inside the bubble cloner? Is it just the fear of root tangles?

And when you converted the box to vegging, are you using any sort of nute regiment? If so how are you distributing it?

Is it necessary to transplant from the hard foam into a medium?

8. Hey, glad to hear, it works great. I wouldn't have a problem with vegging more in one bucket but I only need 2. If you were to veg more then 2 I would say get a bigger tub, there's lots of roots. Keeping the roots separated is almost a must unless you can use the same lid for flowering. When I had all the clones in there they were starting to tangle and I did break some, I can imagine how bad it would be at this point. The whole purpose of this system is no shock whatsoever when moving them over.

I used plain RO water until I switched to the veg lid, then I added very little nutes, I'm using the Lucas formula like in the other bucket. For adding nutes I go by the PH reading, when I check it and its down to 4ish (it drops quick when it drops) I add more nutes. So far this seems to be working. Its really easy to add the extra nutes to. All I do is use my big syringe and take water out of my main bucket and fill a small container and dump it in the veg bucket. I let it sit for an hour or 2 and check my readings and adjust the PH to the proper level.

I would have to say it is necessary to get them out of that foam plug once you have roots. A few reasons. 1st the stem is trying to get fatter and that won't happen if something is wrapped around it. When I took my clones out both sides of the plug were fatter. 2nd you would probably end up with rot around the plug, it was very most inside the plug around the stem and stays that way. You only want the roots to be wet not the stem once you start vegging. 3rd there probably wouldn't be enough support to hold the plant if you got by the first 2 possible problems.

Using the 2 net pots only allows me around 3" of water depth, I know it will be full of roots when I move them over. The other night I actually just doubled the air output to the air stones, I couldn't see a lot of bubbles looking in the hole.

There looking nice, currently at 550ppm @.5 and ph is 5.8
    [​IMG]

Roots from #1, looks like my stones moved or my roots went to one side.
    [​IMG]

9. Lots of roots! Looking good.

10. Thanks man! :smoke:

11. your roots stay so nice and white with just water!

mine dont look that white

12. I don't think the roots are as white as they look in the pic, that flash can turn things white. They do have a bit of brown tint, you can see it a when they come right out of the pot. I think there colored because of the nutes.

13. What nutes you feeding it and how much??

14. I'm using the Lucas formula, there currently set at 1200ppm @.5. When they first rooted I went with 150 then slowly moved it up everyday.

15. I've been debating bubble bucket vs soil for so long now. You've just changed my mind. Only thing is, I have access to seeds for mothers. So they'd be soil. But taking clones to flower. I'm deffinately gonna be here lookin for more.

16. does the water level in the res have to touch the clones? also, doesn't it have to be humid for clones to survive? what light was the clones under while you were waiting for them to root?

17. What wattage is the air pump rated at?

18. i would imagine flowering in that thing would be just as effective if you put a soiless mixture in the water. like pebbles

19. I keep a bucket of RO water nearby. :) As you cut your clones... just drop them into the bucket.

Take them out as you need them and they'll stay nice and turgid and happy for ya.

I've loved the bubble cloner results ever since I made my first one. you can make clones for ANY medium with an almost 100% success rate and it's FREAKING FAST!!!! :)
    (I've transplanted to soil with white bumps at day 4 without a wilt!)

Excellent Tech! :)

20. First of all let me say great tutorial RG, I bookmarked it and will DEFINITELY be using it in the future when I decide to start cloning. I have one question though, when you transplant from the cloning lid to the netted pots, what precautions must be taken with the roots (do you put in the clay rocks first, do you feed the roots through the nets, etc.)? Essentially, what I am trying to ask is, what is the process for transplanting?

...oh and +fuckingREP, great DIY tutorial

TG