Welcome to Grasscity Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Best type of ASHCATCHER/PRECOOLER?

• Please log in to reply

Five To One

Five To One

GD / BM

• Old School
  • 6,093 posts
I got one from my headshop for $70 and I completely hate it. Water always comes up the tube, and the bowl is too deep and narrow. What is the best Type/Brand ect....?

If you know any site thats sells em, that wouldn't be considered a "competitor site", would be a huge help too.

If you have pictures of your Ashcatcher feel free to post them up. I would like to get an idea of how they come.

Rhythm of Life

Rhythm of Life

Banned

• Banned by Moderators
  • 6,478 posts
Well I'm guessing your A/C doesn't have a seperate bowl and downstem. Whats happening to yours is backpressure. Before you stop taking your hit and remove your mouth you need to take the A/C out of the downstem and you won't have that issue anymore. There really isn't a "best" brand it just depends on what you can find. A no name cheap A/C could do the same exact shit as a RooR so just shop around, ask questions at your local headshop, and you'll end up with something that might make you a little bit happier.

Five To One

Five To One

GD / BM

• Old School
  • 6,093 posts
Ya def. Is it better to have a seperate slide pull out from the AC? Wouldnt that cause more drag if you just pull the slide and not the whole AC?

Rhythm of Life

Rhythm of Life

Banned

• Banned by Moderators
  • 6,478 posts
Well I like having a seperate bowl just because like you I forget sometimes to pull the A/C and end up getting the bowl wet. It does cause more drag because it goes through the second water stage but if it really mattered you could pull the entire A/C out of the bong but hold it maybe 1/2" to 1" above the downstem and the force of clearing the hit should also pull the excess smoke in the A/C through. It all comes down to personal preference.

Five To One

Five To One

GD / BM

• Old School
  • 6,093 posts
Hmm I guess i will get one with a seperate slide/bowl. Cuz then i can pull it out either way.... Any suggestions?

Only thing with pulling the whole thing out sometimes I would take a huge hit then the AC would get stuck into the female peice and thats when the water comes up....

Can the water come up on the ones that have a seperate bowl too?

IWubMarijuana

IWubMarijuana

We're gettin' FUCKED UP!

• Registered Upgraded
  • 675 posts
Three ways to combat backpressure: the three different ashcatchers/precoolers

1: This kind
Posted Image

It has a carb hole, so if pressure comes back in to the ashcatcher, the air just goes out the carb hole, instead of forcing water up the tube, into the bowl.

Plan of action: Place finger on carb hole, begin lightly sucking, put mouth to bong, light and begin major inhaling, finish lighting, remove finger from carb, clear. Do not put your finger to the carb without your mouth ready to suck, otherwise you close the carb hole, and if you accidentally blow in a bit, it's up the tube and into the bowl.
2: This kind
Posted Image

Same as above, no carb. (This is the one you have, I think?)

Plan of action: Load it, put it in, light/suck, but instead of the carb, pull the ashcatcher out, clear the bong, remove your mouth, and then place the ashcatcher back, so no sucking/blowing backpressure from anything can get into it.

3: This kind
Posted Image

It has a slide / bowl instead of clearing the carb, so basically same as above, only replace "remove the ashcatcher" with "pull the slide / bowl"

Hope this helps! (I'm really stoned right now! :))
  • Five To One likes this

Five To One

Five To One

GD / BM

• Old School
  • 6,093 posts

Three ways to combat backpressure: the three different ashcatchers/precoolers

1: This kind
Posted Image

It has a carb hole, so if pressure comes back in to the ashcatcher, the air just goes out the carb hole, instead of forcing water up the tube, into the bowl.

Plan of action: Place finger on carb hole, begin lightly sucking, put mouth to bong, light and begin major inhaling, finish lighting, remove finger from carb, clear. Do not put your finger to the carb without your mouth ready to suck, otherwise you close the carb hole, and if you accidentally blow in a bit, it's up the tube and into the bowl.
2: This kind
Posted Image

Same as above, no carb. (This is the one you have, I think?)

Plan of action: Load it, put it in, light/suck, but instead of the carb, pull the ashcatcher out, clear the bong, remove your mouth, and then place the ashcatcher back, so no sucking/blowing backpressure from anything can get into it.

3: This kind
Posted Image

It has a slide / bowl instead of clearing the carb, so basically same as above, only replace "remove the ashcatcher" with "pull the slide / bowl"

Hope this helps! (I'm really stoned right now! :))

Thats great man thanks alot +rep.

You are right i have the second kind, looks nothing like that but that style... What do you suggest, also that third one looks sick, can you link me where you found it?

chiiba

chiiba

smokin' that cheeba

• Registered Upgraded
  • 1,432 posts

You are right i have the second kind, looks nothing like that but that style... What do you suggest, also that third one looks sick, can you link me where you found it?

I'd probably go with the 3rd one. Easiest to use, IMO. If you have a short bong, though, it might bring the bowl too high for your liking.

xStff1:)

xStff1:)

peaceloveweed

• Registered Upgraded
  • 212 posts

I'd probably go with the 3rd one. Easiest to use, IMO. If you have a short bong, though, it might bring the bowl too high for your liking.

I agree, I'd go with the 3rd one as well. In fact I just bought an a/c that's similar to that on GC and I'm hoping it arrives in the mail today or I'll be maaaad disappointed.
Speaking of which, how long does GC usually take for shipping to the US?

IWubMarijuana

IWubMarijuana

We're gettin' FUCKED UP!

• Registered Upgraded
  • 675 posts

No problem! :)

I would recommend the first one (that's the kind I have) since you don't have to pull anything out of any joints (which can be dangerous, when stoned) and it clears the bong / ashcatcher just as well.

Grasscity doesn't like us linking to competitors websites, so I'll shoot you a PM. :D

skateman288

skateman288

• Registered Upgraded
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
http://img135.images...10082106qe4.jpg

Yeah this is by far the weirdest ashcatcher I have ever seen and I cant find anything on the internet about it. I cant seem to keep water in mine either.

Any Help?

ek9steven

ek9steven

210's Highest

• Registered Upgraded
  • 479 posts
http://s235.photobuc...rent=img115.jpg

crappy pic but best bang for your buck is a nice weedstar ashcatcher...

Rhythm of Life

Rhythm of Life

Banned

• Banned by Moderators
  • 6,478 posts

http://img135.images...10082106qe4.jpg

Yeah this is by far the weirdest ashcatcher I have ever seen and I cant find anything on the internet about it. I cant seem to keep water in mine either.

Any Help?

Thats what you would call a chubbler. Um I don't know how you can't get water to stay in there its supposed to hold it in.

Five To One

Five To One

GD / BM

• Old School
  • 6,093 posts
.... i don't remember posting this at all... wtf

Diethylamide

Diethylamide

Smokalotapotamus

• Registered Upgraded
  • 239 posts

.... i don't remember posting this at all... wtf

lol :smoking:

I have the first style pictured, I like it quite well, but the third one...
that looks like it would be very hard to wet your bud.

dkrider34

dkrider34

• Registered Upgraded
  • 478 posts

Well I like having a seperate bowl just because like you I forget sometimes to pull the A/C and end up getting the bowl wet. It does cause more drag because it goes through the second water stage but if it really mattered you could pull the entire A/C out of the bong but hold it maybe 1/2" to 1" above the downstem and the force of clearing the hit should also pull the excess smoke in the A/C through. It all comes down to personal preference.

I've got a carbless one piece and that's the best method for getting all of the smoke. There's usually still a faint bit of smoke that won't pull through though, so it gets mixed in with the next milk. No biggie.

djb1z

djb1z

Zig-Zag Bong Champ

• Registered Upgraded
  • 1,121 posts
Get one you.can pull the bowl out of, solo much easier

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users