Busted! After 5 years of dodging the law while living by the tree.

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by J Dylan, Mar 22, 2008.

1. THIS IS A LONG STORY... I would really appreciate if you could take some time to read it, because I'm looking for a little advice and possibly speculation.

Edit:Just posted pics of the pipe at the end of this post.

Double-Edit: There's now more to my story... yet another police encounter occurred no more than 60 hours after the first. update's on page 2.

Hey guys... so, to set up the basis of the story...
    I've been smoking the ganj for 5 years now, I'm 19 years old and a freshman in college. up til last night, my record was completely clean. I mean COMPLETELY. no traffic violations... no getting caught at parties... no getting caught drinking... no getting caught high or smoking weed.

So last night, (I go to Indiana University) i was watching IU vs Arkansas... first round of the NCAA tourney. the game ended at 11:30ish (pm) in indiana's unfortunate defeat. myself and several other people had been drinking throughout the game. by the time the game was over, I'd finished about half a fifth of bourbon to myself (i'm 150lbs). needless to say, I was pretty drunk-- nothing unmanageable however-- i've handled half-fifths many a time before.

me and 3 other people decide that we'd like to step outside for a bowl. they go outside ahead of me (mind you, we're in the dorms). meanwhile, i hang back and grab my bowl and pack it up. i left my backpack inside, containing my grinder, and about 3 grams.

i step outside with the bowl packed in my pocket, and there my three friends are-- standing about 10 feet away from the door to the dorms. i look left and right, and nobody's around. total silence. so, i walk over to my friends, whip my bowl out, and suggest that we just smoke a quickie bowl right there.

they agree, and i spark my lighter-- and am literally mere moments away from inhaling, when suddenly i notice several figures in dark clothing walking toward us out of nowhere.
    i wasn't sure if my instincts were right yet (instincts were that they were police), but nonetheless i swiftly slipped the bowl into my right pocket.

my 3 friends were all smoking cigs-- which are technically not allowed on my campus. Indiana University has a "tobacco-free policy" in effect right now...

anyway, these 2 cops approach us, and this dude starts reading me my rights. several times, i tried to deny that i had anything illegal on me-- but the dude must've seen the bowl when my lighter sparked... because he called me on having a pipe in my right pocket-- which was exactly right.

so, i handed over the bowl... and proceeded to lie about having consumed any alcohol. i was speaking really well, and i was thinking quite quickly-- and considering the situation i was holding my own really, really well. i figured i could at least pull off not getting charged with underage consumption.

one of my friends, however, was not holding up so well, and the officers (IUPD, Indiana University Police), targeted him as a weak point. they eventually got him to admit to drinking after telling him they were gonna breathalyze him, so he might as well be honest with them.

then once again asked me if i was sure i'd had nothing to drink. i once again denied that i'd had anything to drink, figuring that I was acting way too straight for them to be able to breathalyze me.

anyway, it turns out that my friend that they'd targeted basically admitted to the officer that all of us had been drinking, which sort of fucked me over.

while all this was going on, i was being written up for possession of paraphernalia. I'm the only one in my group of friends who got any marijuana charges-- since it was my pipe.
    anyway... things proceed to get more and more ridiculous... these two officers continue to call more and more of the IUPD to the scene. one officer arrives, and comments on how my pipe is "cool." i thanked him, agreed, and told him the pipe was what i was least concerned about.

i ended up getting breathalyzed, after 8 fucking officers arrived at the scene. 2 officers per kid. some retarded shit. i blew a .12, and the officer told me i was holding together better than anyone he'd ever seen blow a 12% BAC (blood alcohol content).

at this time, i was being written up for possession of paraphernalia, and illegal consumption. this motherfucking dick officer picks up my pipe, takes note of the .5 of weed packed in the bowl, and mentions to the officer writing me up that he should nail me for possession of marijuana too.

so, the officer of course heeds the advice... and writes me up on 3 separate charges. possession of paraphernalia, possession of marijuana, and illegal consumption with a BAC of .12.

my other friends got off with only one charge each-- and one of my friends somehow managed to pull off fucking up the breathalyzer and blew a .00, and got away on no charges. he blew a .00 after drinking just as much as me, mind you. screw that.

this female cop starts lecturing me on how "dope," as she called it, is destroying my body and brain (hahahahahhahah), and how i should learn a lesson from this.
    she lectured me for a good 10 minutes straight, and didn't mention a single word in her lecture about alcohol being bad.
    after she finished lecturing me, she asked me where the rest of my weed was. i told her i had none. she laughed at me, said "that's what they all say," and proceeded to pat me down. i had nothing else on my person at the time, although approximately 100 feet away, in my friends dorm room, was 3 grams of dank and my grinder.

after they finished writing us up, we went back inside, and drank more.
    i have a court date on April 17th. i lost my bowl, which i'm pretty upset about... because that was really my only means of smoking here at school... not to mention it was a fucking awesome bowl. maybe i'll post pics of it in this thread in a bit, it was a great color changer... some of you may even know it from threads i've posted in the past with pictures of it in them.
    i still have a Vapir One, but in the next few days i'll definitely be making a trip down to one of the local headshops to pick myself up a new bowl and maybe a new dugout (i lost my dugout at a party a couple months ago.)

anyway... based on the fact that I've got a COMPLETELY sparkling clean record up until this incidence... what do you guys think I'm looking at in court on the 17th? i mean, i was written up for "Possession of less than 30g," but that's ridiculous because all i had was a bowl's worth.

anyway... i'm just praying i'm not gonna be facing probation or DTs, because that damn court date is 3 days before 4/20.
    I'm definitely gonna be getting a lawyer to better my situation as much as possible...

any comments would be greatly appreciated guys.

EDIT: Here are pics of the bowl that was taken
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. I'm no expert but it sounds like you are going to be alright to me. Since your record was clean you're not violating probation. I would say the most you get is a fine.

3. That really sucks, you got screwed on all counts. How did your friend mange to blow an 0.0?

In a lot of other countries you probably wouldn't have even been written up, I hate how they operate by the book over there.. You should be fine in court though, previously clean record, just a bowlful of weed - cmon, they can't seriously push that! :D

Looks like the bastards have nothing better to do than to run around after stoners, it's not like you were even disorderly or anything..

Good luck in court :) , I feel sorry for you, it's a total waste of your time.

4. Man, that sucks. All this for a bowl with weed in it, and nothing else. Those police are just cowards, instead of going after real criminals.

5. I don't know the laws in your state or anything, but you're probably looking at fines, community service, drug classes, and possibly probation.

That really sucks about your piece though, I remember you posting pics of it a while back.

Explain the title of the thread though, living in a tree? Wtf?

6. lol, living by the tree. not living IN one.
    hint: the tree is marijuana.:smoking:

7. you'll be fine bro, just dont get too comfortable next time.

ten feet outside your dorm building is risky.

im sure you've realized that already though

8. I'm in the same boat as you....a friend and I got rushed by 6 undercovers while sparking a J in central park. My record is completely clean, and I just hope that the judge will throw this one out since I'm a first time offender (and they messed up my address).

I hope we both manage to escape some trouble.

9. yeah man... that lesson was learned the second i noticed the cops walking toward us.

best of luck to you. when's your court date?

10. Ohhhh, gotcha. :D

11. April 15th...damn police. I am just hoping for the best.

12. So someone could have had an ounce and got the same possession charge as you, thats complete bullshit.

13. hahah, i just noticed that we're both 19, born in november 88, and we both have a court date for our first criminal offenses 2 days apart.

it might just be cause really high on vape bags, but that seems like a pretty funny coincidence. im 7 days older than you.

edit: what the fuuuuck man! this is crazy, i just noticed your join date is Nov11 2005, mine's Nov3 2005. this is geeking me out! hahah

yeah i know, i'm hoping i have an opportunity to make the details of the situation known in court.

14. Crazy shit man...life is screwy :hippie: I wish I was high on vape bags :(. My vape's back at school, but even so, it's just a VaporWarez.

15. didja just start spring break today?
    mine was march8-17

you go to school in NY?

16. court date for my possession charge...April 1st

hopefully its all an elaborate prank.

17. haha, best of luck to you.

5-0 dont usually make a habit of elaborately pranking stoners.:smoking:

18. sucks man
    funny how they liked youre pipe though
    good luck for court

19. Haha good luck to both you guys. Sounds like your doin all the right things Jdylan, it always sucks to see such a chill blade get busted.

20. hey, thanks a lot man. it soothes me to hear that it sounds like i'm doing shit right so far.

update to the story: i came closer to shitting myself last night than i have in a long time.
    My roommate wasn't in the room, i was chilling working on some homework, blazing vapes, and listening to some light music.

my friend knocked on my door and asked if I was the dude who made our entire floor reak. I told him i'd been vaping and that my room didn't smell at all... he walked into my room and confirmed that it didn't smell at all.

10 minutes later, there's a knock on my roomie's door (we have separate doors to our room)... so i open my door in order to tell whoever it is that he's not here right now.

as soon as i get into the hallway, my heart dropped when i saw 5 IU police officers standing right next to my roommates door. I was in such a state of shock that i could barely believe what i was seeing.
    One of the officers broke the silence by saying "Hey jonas. (my name)."

it immediately occurred to me that several of these officers had been there when i was busted on friday night.
    i responded "Hey guys... long time no see. What're you doing here?"
    and he responds "What're you up to?"
    i responded as honestly as i could... "I'm just working on some homework... why are you guys here? didn't you knock?" (i was assuming they knew my roommates door went to the same room as i was in).
    he responds: "No, we're looking for andrew (my roommate)."
    Now, my roomie's door says his name on the door, so I'm assuming they thought it smelled around there and thought it might be my roomie.
    after they told me they were looking for him, to avoid anymore trouble, i realized they didn't know that door led to my room, so I just said "Oh, my bad. Have a good night, guys."
    they told me to have a good night, and i withdrew into my room and closed and locked the door... and proceeded to freak the fuck out for like 10 minutes.

I'm carrying all my illegals in my backpack for the next couple days so if anything comes up with cops at my door, it's all in my backpack... which is especially good if i'm not there.

i still don't know exactly what to think of the whole situation... it was like some kind of a sick joke.