"Hashmouf's Official Guides to Homemade Hash" {Step by Step Pictorials}

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by Hashmouf, Mar 18, 2008.

1. I can only get 99% or 100% iso (well it's says 100% on it) will it still work just as well

2. Jimmy carter, what are the advantages of grain alcohol over iso ?

3. Just a quick observation, I got allot of hash out of the coffee filter, tons of trichomes get trapped in the filter, I dried the filter out and scraped 1/4 gram of hash from it,
    I also used brown unbleached coffee filters, no that it matters, thanks for posting this it worked out great.

4. it surely is not the cost. Both are toxic. Both are legal. Both evaporate. Both are naturally occurring. I suppose the idea that is is a chemical bothers people who do not fully understand iso properties. Lol, what is not a chemical compound outside of elements?

5. grain alcohol is made for human consumption where as ISO will literally kill you or make you go blind. Just because it all "completely" evaporates doesn't make it as safe or safer than using grain alcohol.

As far as cost goes - good in, good out. Its wayyy cheaper to use ISO but it's honestly a ridiculous health risk compared to everclear which is easily accessible almost everywhere and really not much more expensive. I have a lot of alcohol tax and it's about 60$ a gallon of everclear. Used properly that's tons and tons of food grade ethanol hash. If you can capture the evaporating alcohol and distill it you basically have infinite alcohol to a degree.

Why take a risk when the consequences were talking about can be the loss of vision or fatality? For merely 60$ you can do it food grade absolutely safe.

6. #1886 Pro GMO 2, Nov 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2015
    Grain alc will also result in blindness and death. But it is a good thing we do not advocate drinking iso. U see it is used to separate oils/essential and gums in the food industry and medical industry already. Its evaporative and nonbinding characteristics is exactly it is used. Of course a significant driver is cost. As u know industries use the cheapest means to mass produce products for profit.

Do you drink beer? Guess what is used to extraction of and processing of hops.

My suggestion is to use it wisely as it is perfectly safe when used to extract oils from cannabis. I suspect some idiots could do it in a hazardous manner, ever see a frat party? Lol, where I am sure they can even make drinking water dangerous.

7. Friend, I think you're thinking of wood alcohol. Let me drop some science here.

When you distill anything, you form methanol, ethanol, propanol, and so on.
    • Methanol: 1 Carbon (COH)
    • Ethanol: 2 Carbons (CCOH)
    • Propanol: 3 Carbpms (CCCOH)

Any time you ferment something, you're going to form these alcohols, as well as others.

Grain alcohol is a term for ethanol, because grains have traditionally been used to distill ethanol.
    Wood alcohol is a term for methanol, because wood has traditionally been used to distill methanol.

To make alcohol safe, you distill it. The methanol is collected all at once, then the ethanol can be collected, then the propanol, etc. This allows people to isolate different types of alcohol.

Wood alcohol is what results in blindness and death, if not treated.

8. I think u do not understand ur own science or are to lazy to read the evidence in the links. The crux of my argument is this. Moonshine aka grain alcohol can result in blindness and death. Please read this http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2012-05/fyi-can-drinking-moonshine-really-make-me-go-blind

Now if u know more than this please feel free to show us.

If u are trusting a moonshiner vs a proven commercial product u r playing with fire as each batch if moonshine is never the same. Also unless u have a lab u have no idea of the contaminants in moonshine.

Thanks for the science lesson but I think u missed the pints entirely.

9. Oh auto correct kills me. Let me know if any of them confuse u.

10. #1890 btaylortherogue, Nov 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2015
    Moonshine and grain alcohol are not synonyms.

Just so you know, pretty much any liquor you buy is a grain alcohol. Everclear is a grain alcohol. Vodka is (often) a grain alcohol. Whisky is a grain alcohol.

I already explained why homemade alcohol can render you blind. I also just checked your link. They explain what I said in my previous post. The issue is that you're using terms I don't think you understand when you throw around terms like 'grain alcohol'.

Grain alcohol is a term for 'ethanol'. Grain alcohol is safe. Grain alcohol is not necessarily moonshine. Moonshine is not necessarily grain alcohol. Most proven commercial liquors are grain alcohols.

Wood alcohol is what you seem to be thinking of. Wood alcohol is a term for methanol. If you read the link you posted, it will explain in. However, I'll go ahead and quote the article you linked.

Methanol--also known as wood alcohol--is cheap, and its physiological effects on the body are the same as ethanol's, at least at first. Unscrupulous moonshiners will actually add methanol to their product to up the potency.

Also, here's a link to the wikipedia page discussing alcohol, which lists "grain alcohol" as another name. While wikipedia isn't an academic source, it's pretty reliable for that kind of information.

11. lol, let us simply this. Is methanol a by product of the pure grain moonshine produced at stills? Can it be? Get back with me. I have provided enough links for u as not to fill this thread with some cosmic for bris.

12. I figured that might be the case. A lot of times, people with a ton of informal, hands-on knowledge don't know the vocab.

Methanol is a byproduct at a moonshine still OR in a major professional liquor company's equipment.
    The companies and the moonshiners who are any good throw the methanol out.

If you've got first-hand or second hand knowledge, you'll know it drips, then it stops dripping, then it drips again? That first set of drips is methanol.

Yes, methanol is super bad, but it's a byproduct any time you make ethanol, which is the stuff people drink.

13. Giving this ice water extraction a go with some trim from a recent Pineapple Express harvest
    Let's see if I fail or not lol

14. I need my hash to stick together in balls but it jut breaks apart real "crumbly" I tried steaming it and little to no results is there something I can do?

15. Everything worked did it step by step I'm assuming lol, went to scrap up my goodies and coffee filter repeatedly just ripped. Got pissed ended up tossing it out. What did I do wrong? Cheap coffee filter?

16. could you use a pressing screen for the final step? Instead of a coffee filter then transfer the trichomes off the pressing screen or onto another to dry? I'm curious cause I got a few oz of pineapple from a recent grow I wanna wash a little bit of it without using my bubble bag set. I don't want the same thing to happen with coffee filter ripping so wonder if pressing screen are good substitute thanks

17. I have got 2 grams of soft hash. Afghan gold seal. But I also have some iso and think about washing it with that to see what happens. Anyone else done it with hash?

Attached Files:

18. [​IMG]
    You could decarb that and mix with 2 ounces of high proof drinking grade grain alcohol for tincture.. A couple of shots in a beverage or under your tongue as a sublingual hit..
    ( decarb 40-60 min in a covered dish at 220 degrees F )

[​IMG]
    I use about 3 grams a week in tinctures..
    BNW

19. I've left the hash in little bits to mix it with the isopropyl. Drained it out washed it again. Drained it off. Then mixed the ground bud with it. Strained. Now it is outside drying out 😆
    See what happens!

Attached Files: