Welcome to Grasscity Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Can you heat isopropyl alcohol in the microwave?

• Please log in to reply

Blueflame1986

Blueflame1986

Gallon bag Zip-Locs

• Old School
  • 1,163 posts
Is it safe to put say 90-97% Isopropyl alcohol in a microwaveable safe container and heat it up to the point of almost boiling. Or am I just way too chopped out and am going to set my micro on fire?

poth_ead_homer

poth_ead_homer

Really Stoned User

• Registered Upgraded
  • 412 posts
I would not do that...

Adult_Toke

Adult_Toke

greens and green

• Registered Upgraded
  • 310 posts
Sounds like a fantastic idea if you want to burn your house down.

Nochowderforyou

Nochowderforyou

InvisibleManInTheSky

• Registered Upgraded
  • 287 posts
This is going to sojnd REALLY stupid of me, but I have used to microwave to make oil before. :o (permission to call me dumb).

But of course, I made precautions before I just put a highly flammable substance in the cooker to boil away. First, I found out the combustion point of Iso., and since I've taken all kinds of WHMIS training, I used the MSDS at work to find just that out. I don't remeber the top of my head, but it is just over boiling point, so OF COURSE, you DO NOT want it to boil.

I watched it very, very carefully in the mirco. I didn't take my eyes off of it, the second I saw it bubble just a tad, I opened the door, let it stop, and went again. If I remeber right, it went for about 45 seconds, then I had to open and close the door every 10 seconds, for about 5 minutes afterward.

It worked, but not without risk. If the Iso boils for more than 15 seconds or so, there's a good chance it will start on fire. It reeks up your kitchen, and when you heat things up, you can smell the Iso for about a week after. You risk blowing yourself up, or burning yourself, and it's very hard on the lungs while boiling it down. I literally, wore a mask with filters in them to make this stuff. You cannot breath without gagging while cooking this shit down.

So all in all, no, I don't recommend you do this, especially if you're with the rents still.

The only safe way to make oil is outside. How you choose to do it is up to. Use a hotplate and a metal pot outside to make it. That would work just fine, but don't use the radiation cooker and be dumb like me.;)

NJ TOKER 420

NJ TOKER 420

Skankin it Easy...

• Registered Upgraded
  • 921 posts
1. No, I give it a 99% chance of spontaneously combusting
2. Why the fuck would you put iso alcohol in the microwave anyway?

Fcat

Fcat

• Registered Upgraded
  • 129 posts
Man you are one scary mo-fo.

crackrocksteady

crackrocksteady

• Registered Upgraded
  • 368 posts

2. Why the fuck would you put iso alcohol in the microwave anyway?

Hot/warm iso is so much better to clean glass with, or at least I'm assuming that's why the OP is wanting to microwave iso.
You'd be better off just putting the alcohol in a hot water bath before using it. Throw it in a ziploc bag, and float it in a bowl of almost boiling/really, really hot water.

enevitable

enevitable

food tv for life mayng

• Registered Upgraded
  • 2,165 posts
OP, why dont you do the double boiler method?

put a large pot on the stove half of water

take another pot that is smaller and can fit inside the larger pot without falling in, and set it on the rim

pour your iso in the top pan

bring it up to boil and you will have a very safe way of warming your iso up

edit: heres an image
Posted Image

this method is used in cooking a lot if you do not want direct heat on the substance, but not only that it provides a VERY even cooking surface (the entire bottom of the top pan will be hot, it wont have hot spots like pans on a stove get)

nug slugger

nug slugger

• Registered Upgraded
  • 521 posts
I've microwaved 90% alcohol many times. As long as you are smart about it, I don't think it's dangerous at all. The longest I ever nuke it is 30 seconds. Just keep an eye on it, and once you see it boil (takes about 30 seconds for 1/2 to 1 cup of alcohol) stop the microwave.

It's that simple. And it works SOOOOOOO much better than cold alcohol. When you put a dirty piece in boiling hot alchohol, the resin can't POUR out of it fast enough. It works extremely well.

any questions?

Blazin'Talon

Blazin'Talon

Maybe just nothing

• Old School
  • 2,387 posts

I've microwaved 90% alcohol many times. As long as you are smart about it, I don't think it's dangerous at all. The longest I ever nuke it is 30 seconds. Just keep an eye on it, and once you see it boil (takes about 30 seconds for 1/2 to 1 cup of alcohol) stop the microwave.

It's that simple. And it works SOOOOOOO much better than cold alcohol. When you put a dirty piece in boiling hot alchohol, the resin can't POUR out of it fast enough. It works extremely well.

any questions?

Seconded. I too have done it, in several microwaves and it's always been ok.

Putting the salt/iso/piece in a bag and using a scalding water bath works well too for smaller items, I do it all the time.

EDIT: On further thought, accidentally putting a couple forks into the microwave with your iso would likely be quite deadly. Don't do that.

chiefton8

chiefton8

Boofmaster

• Bronze Member
  • 3,498 posts

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users