How many lumens do you need?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by THE McC, Feb 13, 2008.

1. I got two 14 watt cfl's giving 900 lumens each. Is that enough? I got a small space to grow in but if i have to squeez another in i'd certinly try. Thanks.

2. simple, no, not enough light. try like 4-6 of the 42W cfl's. i think it's 42W, im not positive though i dont use cfl's.

3. im using 4 25 watt cfl's and my plant is 3.5 foot tall and about 2.5 feet wide after 1 and a half months from seed....

4. pictures? cause it's probably pretty lanky. because these small wattage CFL's only penetrate the plant canopy a few inches. so unless you have quite a bit of them around the plant, it will be very lanky. and buds will be fluffy and sparse.

5. I here 2000 lumens is the bare min. I'll try and add another in. Thanks.

6. it has alot less to do with lumens and alot more to do with the spectrum range the bulb is capable of producing. Ceramic Metal Halide outperforms all the 55,000 lumen range HPS bulbs of the same wattage at only 38,900 lumens, because it is giving off the proper spectrums that most mimic the actual sunlight a plant would see outdoors.

7. As a general rule, you will need at least 2,500 lumens of light per square foot of garden.

Oh, here's a picture of what CFLs will grow...
    [​IMG]

And this may shed some light on photosynthesis and light spectrum.
    [​IMG]

I'm using 6 cfls and a 70W HPS security light with a total of
    4960 Lumens/sq ft.

8. I'm running with 6 4 ft T5 HO's 54 watts per bulb, 6500K @ 2700 lumens per,
    The set up cost me 370. canadian, flowering time will cost an additional 70 dollars in 3000k t
    T5 HO's giving out the same lumens. No heat no worries

Frankly in the great white

god dam snow jst won't stop

9. SORRY GUYS

I have these mounted vertically in a closet 4 ft by 2ft. BLINDED BY THE LIGHT.

10. Sounds like a nice setup. My growbox was around $150 US but it is too small. I really need to build a cabinet in the near future. T5 HO tubes sound like a good plan

11. Don't know how you can say one is more important than the other. One lumen of the right spectrum won't grow a plant any better than 10,000 lumens of the wrong spectrum. It's like asking which is more important to your survival, your heart or your lungs -- you can't survive without either.

You need a certain amount of light and you need the right color of light.

To the OP: those 14 watters will only provide usable light within an inch or two of the bulb, the fall-off of light intensity with those is huge.

12. REal quick ergent messege before i go and waste alot on seeds. I have 2 1600 lumen clf bulbs. Is that enough for one plant?i

Ps- first grow eva
    pps- any one know how to take the socket out of a lamp so i can use it? please answer quickly as possible

13. #13 chlorophylliate, May 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2013
    hey im a first-timer and was wondering about lights and such. I was at the dollar store and they were going out of business, selling everything for .79cents. I bought COUNTLESS 13w cfls with a spectrum of 2700k and an output of 900 lumens. im thinking of using this cardboard box I found for an oooollldd tv. it is about 2 1/2 ft tall and wide, and deep. I have it lined with aluminum foil. ive cut some breathing holes around it, with make shift awnings, with drapes attached to cover during my 12 off. I am a true beginner, ive grown many vegetables and flowering plants, but only outdoors. my babies are about 13 inches tall now. when should I start flowering, and should I get a bigger grow space?  I know this is a lot but help a fellow out =]

btw, am I just wasting my time with these cfls? my budget is TIGHT but space really isn't that much of an issue

14. I've always read you want a minimum of 100watts per plant or more.