literature

Discussion in 'The Bookshelf' started by whitehippo, Feb 13, 2008.

1. How many of you read when stoned? I've heard a lot about it, and how intense/enlightening it can be. Can anyone recommend some titles? Thx

2. ahh, my kinda blade...honestly with the internet and cable tv and all, kids dont learn to read for shit, especially reading for PLEASURE. YES, THAT IS CORRECT. anywhoo,

-anything by john steinbeck. he's the fucking man.
    ===east of eden
    ===the wayward bus

two of his best.

also,

"the unbearable lightness of being"

i also enjoyed "this side of paradise" by f. scott fitzgerald.

PM me if you wanna talk all geeky-like about books.

reading+high as a bitch= goood times, ive always said a good book can get you higher than any drug. its true. but if youre high yourself, then all the better!:smoking:

3. Thx for the input, I'm going to pick up some steinbeck now. I've really never attempted to read after I smoke, or sober for that case, but I like the idea. :)

4. huge thread about this in the artist section...

I've been reading the History of God by Karen Armstrong lately. chronicles how the idea of god (rather than the figure of God himself) has evolved since the Abrahamic religions first influences up to its current state.

5. If I even try to read when I'm high I will forget what I read a paragraph ago.

6. Any philosophy or psychology books are amazing and have definitely been life-changing to me. I'm currently reading Civilization and its Discontents by Freud.

7. I do occassionally...reading when high is like flying on a magic carpet ride. It seems like the words are flying through your head, it is amazing. I encourage it.

8. Noble's textbook of Primary Care Medicine.
    Darwin's Ghost.
    Zen and the Art of Stand-up comedy.
    Delta of Venus, by Anais Nin
    Dictionaries, in general. LOL

9. im reading house of leaves right now, its pretty fucking crazy.

10. Read Albert Camus (pronounced Albear Camoo), you really won't be disappointed. I suggest The Rebel, though it seems The Stranger is more commonly read. If you want a purely philosophical book try The Myth of Sisyphus.

Or you could try Anthony Doerr. He's pretty amazing. If you like poetry, try Leonard Cohen.

11. i love to read as well...

garth nix writes cool kinda lord-of-the-rings type of shit. he has a trilogy with books called Sabriel, Lireal, and Abhorsen, and I reeeeeeeeally fuckin dig all of them.

chuck palahniuk is a good read when stoned-- esp. diary and haunted, his collection of short stories (not a good idea if you have a weak stomach)

i also really enoyed "a heartbreaking tale of staggering genius" by

party monster/disco bloodbath was excellent.

and... this is pretty freakin juvenile-- but, shel silverstein's old books like "where the sidewalk ends", "falling up", etc... fun to read and the illustrations are crazy. its just a trippy ass read, is all. not to enlightening or intense, but definitley a good read.

(p.s. your sig is fuckin SLAAAAAAAAMMIN.)

12. The Stranger is one of my all time favorite books, but you should start with its preamble, A Happy Death. It doesn't have any plot similarities at all, and literally no connection other than the protagonist/anti-hero Monsieur Mersault.

Just two really great books. You could literally finish one in a two hour smoking session if you're really dedicated to it. Very short, but unbelievably engrossing.

13. I loved the abhorsen trilogy as well, if you havent already you should read the His Dark Materials trilogy if anything its even better although i bit more mature i think :)