Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Can you eat weed straight up?

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by smoke.dank, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Yes, you certainly can. It doesn't need to be cooked or anything, you can just chew and swallow if you want. But you're not going to feel anything thill it digests. I've tried it :)

2. No you can't mate lol(I have tried shoving 3.5 grams into potatoe and gravy small and nothing.) Have mercy that was like half a decade ago

3. I ate a nug on a dare. It was spicy.

Cannabis is the most horrible tasting plant I've yet to eat.

Btw, did nothing to get me high.

4. Yea i tried it i put it in a burger once i was bored about .5 i got a body buzz not bad but taste not so good i put alot of ketchup lol

5. #65 potfiend, Dec 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2011
    I have eaten it raw countless times and it works for me. The real question is - "Can anyone prove that it has to be heated to be activated?"

Decarboxylation is the process you are referring to as activating THC. As the marijuana dries THCA(not psychoactive) is transformed into THC(psychoactive). This process can be accelerated with heat, either in an oven, dehydrator, or as the marijuana is smoked. But it will also occur naturally over time if the weed is stored in a dry environment and continues to dry out.

Eating pot in oil or alcohol enhances the bodies ability to absorb it, but is not mandatory. And given the average diet of folks in civilized Western societies, there is a high probability that you have a modest or greater amount of fat being digested in your stomach for the better part of the day. Thus the thc and fats will mix.

We eat salads and other raw veggies and fruits for their nutritional value, it is ludicrous to think we cannot digest MJ. I get stoned eating very dry weed, the buzz is different, and rarely as intense as smoking but it a very real MJ buzz. Sort of like the low key stone you get from taking narcotic pain killers for dental work, or muscle relaxers for strains.
    You just have a pleasant, rather private little buzz going on in your head. I like to eat it raw for social gatherings where stinking of weed or being wasted doesn't fit in. Takes very little for me. 1/2 a joints worth and last a pretty long time.

To eat it I just tear off a piece of a bud and roll it up into aspirin sized pieces and swallow with liquid.
    Also can be mixed in a small cup of yogurt (fat).

6. I once made a firecracker and did not even cook it. Let it sit soaking in the peanut butter for 2 days. I ate it, got me a decent buzz.

7. well.. I read that you have to eat very large amounts of the plant if you want to get a high from eating it raw

and I've eaten weed a few times, not bad imo..

Theres a thousand more efficient ways to use cannabis though :smoke:

8. eat a 1/4... doubt you'd feel anything even then, its a waste of weed lol

9. I had some horrible weed that was sprayed and i was sick of smoking it because it burned my throat and it wasn't getting me that high,so i got about 3 grams(sprayed so size wise 2 gs)and started chewing and drinking water to wash it down.It tasted disgusting so i think it might have been sprayed with something nasty.But anyway about 2 hours later i was melted in to the couch,so retarded.Couldn't do anything.

10. Thc came in to the cannabis plant to defend it from animals eating it to make them too stoned.Goats weren't sparking up spliffs.

11. Consuming activated material only works for a very few people, mostly those with low tolerances, and it relies heavily on the placebo effect. :) And for even those people, the results are dramatically improved when the process is continued with an oil, or other edible solvent.

Activation is not the only issue, it's bioavailability and cellular permeability!

Decarboxylation is only the first, of two crucial steps required to make a quality edible.

Sure, you 'can' eat it after it's been activated, but the amount it takes to achieve the desired effect when eating under-processed cannabis, could have easily provided you with multiple (often between 3 - 5, depending how under-processed), stronger, longer-lasting doses, had you taken the time to break that glandular material down using an edible solvent, one which dramatically improves cellular permeability, such as oil, alcohol, or glycerin.

Why do you think we have so much dosage discrepancy, and so many failed edible stories? Even beyond activation, processing matters!

Cannabis glandular material is notoriously difficult for the body to absorb all on its own, even when it has been activated, even when it's in the form of a sticky, well-filtered concentrate.

The solvents we use, drastically enhance our bodies ability to absorb the solutes they've been blended with.

Not only that, but the oil source or solvent you choose, specifically dictates where in your body the active chemicals are absorbed... this isn't something new, either, it's true for digesting other essential minerals and elements.
    That's why some bottles of salad dressing like to make the claim, that they help you to absorb the nutritional content of the greens you're dipping or drizzling it on.

Even having a little oil in your system can 'help' absorption, to some degree, but that's what you're left to rely on when you eat cannabis without the proper processing.

You absorb much, much more, when you've taken the time to first break down that stubborn material in advance, and create a bioavailable solution with your edible solvent, and the solute (glandular material).
    When you take the time to make a quality canna oil, it provides the cannabis hours of heat and exposure to oil, that your body simply could not provide, had you simply consumed it raw, or activated.

This is something widely known in the pharmaceutical industry, as well as the medical cannabis community. Certain pharmaceutical drugs are also processed with lipids, particularly lecithin, in order to promote absorption.

As a matter of fact, it's also why some vitamin C pills require that you take over 3,500% of your daily requirement, and others require only 300%. Vitamin C on its own, is another substance that our bodies tend to repel for the most part, rather than absorb.
    The way our bodies respond to attempted vitamin C digestion, in its pure form, is strikingly similar to that of cannabinoid absorption.

Both the untreated vit C containing 3,500% (or thirty-five times the daily recommendation), and the liposomally-treated vit C containing only 300% (3 times the daily recommendation), introduce roughly the same amount of the chemical content into your blood stream... regardless of fats present in the tract at the time.

The untreated batch however, allows almost 90% of the material you've paid good money for, to pass through your tract entirely unabsorbed, while the liposomally treated vitamin C, is not only introduced to the blood stream at greater volume, but at almost the pace of intravenous injection!

The process used on the vit C pills that allows you to consume require less material, while achieving the daily value in absorption, is called 'liposomal encapsulation'. Without it, our bodies tend to pass the greater portion of many difficult-to-absorb chemical/substances.

From a recent thread (on oil sources, and their varying absorption and usefulness)...

-----

The oil source you choose, specifically dictates where in your body the material will be absorbed, you need to process your glandular material and the required oil of your choice, with gentle heat, for long enough, to create a bioavailable solution.

Activation also plays a huge roll in how your meds will effect you. The more activated, the more narcotic the sensation (this is what most recreational users are after), and the more pain-relief you will receive.

Less-active material, in a bioavailable solution, can effectively provide anti-spasmodic help, some pain relief, anti-mutagenic/anti-cancer benefits, while leaving the patient much more functional (this allows people to increase their dose, and their exposure to cannabinoids and terpenes, exponentially, if they otherwise feel uncomfortable with too much 'active' THC).

Most patients and recreational users require short and medium-chain triglycerides (in coconut oil, and butter, with coconut oil being far superior, having a much higher medium-chain content, three to four times higher than butter in fact, and twice as much saturated fat!) to experience the most from their medicine.

This is because those fatty acids are absorbed passively via the portal vein and liver, which allows for the liver conversion to take place, converting much of your D9-THC, to the more powerful 11-OH-THC.
    MCT oils also do not even require or rely on bile salts for absorption.

The long-chain triglycerides contained in most kitchen oils, only promote lymphatic absorption, which bypasses the liver. (Meaning; choose the wrong oil, and you largely miss out on that potentiating effect!)

But for the rare patients whose livers over-metabolize cannabinoids, regardless how little or much they've eaten and how recently they last ate, they need to rely on that lymphatic absorption in order to become medicated. By avoiding medium and short chain triglycerides they can absorb their meds; it provides a weaker, and shorter-lived experience, but, at least they can benefit from their meds, in the form of the remaining terpenes and activated D9-THC.

Try it both ways... but try it by processing exactly-the-same-way-both-times. You won't know why one oil source worked, and the other didn't, if you get 'creative' while comparing the two and change things between trials. [​IMG]

If you feel your liver is doing more harm, than it is doing good for your meds, then olive oil is the long-chain containing oil that I would recommend.
    Otherwise, most people (especially those eating for recreational purposes) will receive more powerful effects, and a more prolonged experience, by using short and medium-chain triglyceride containing oils.

Besides varying tolerances, and potential under-processing, the variation in digestion and absorption from one oil source to the next also explains why some friends may enjoy brownies from a batch that you were disappointed with, and vice-versa.
    Many of our diets aren't all that great to begin with, and what we do regularly consume can vary quite a lot from one person, to the next... and compared to other animals of the same species, our metabolism, and our rate and type of digestion differs, much more noticeably from one person to the next. Diet, environment and genetic predisposition, all play huge rolls in our digestion.

-------

Keep in mind the water-butters of the old days required between 15 - 24 hours of gentle heat to be complete. [​IMG]
    This is because you are drastically reducing the efficiency of your solvent, by diluting it with water.. that water soaks into the plant matter, it remains close to the glandular material (which sinks by the way, while oil floats), and doesn't allow the breakdown to occur, or a solution to be formed, in nearly the amount of time a pure oil source can.

Butter as-is, is not perfect.. you need to clarify it, and remove the traces of water and milk solids, creating a pure milk fat in order to achieve the most potent, best tasting (and least 'green' flavored) 'oil'. Removing the unnecessary components from the milk fat, especially the water, provides the highest quality canna butter.

With water contamination, and water-butters in particular (where the butter is not only left un-clarified, but water is added to it *shudder*), you are left with two options; you either must over-process for many more hours than necessary, and expose your material to heat, for so long, that some (if not a lot) of your potent material has degraded, before a decent level of bioavailability is achieved.
    Your other option with water-butters, is to stop short of the full process, in which case you have less degradation.... but much less bioavailability.

----------

Whether you're an average patient with normal digestion, and especially if you feel you may have an edible immunity, water should be the last thing you'd want to come into contact with your material! Avoid water contamination at all costs.

This is why the experts recommend, not only using butter alone, but that patients use clarified butter or ghee, which has had all its milk solids and water content removed.

Water-butters, have a very difficult time creating any amount of 'solution/coating', in just a few hours of time/exposure to heat. It can only become a good solution after it's been broken down well enough, and after it's had enough contact with the oil alone.

Not only is your butter less apt to spoil when made with clarified butter, and not only will it invite less of the nasty-tasting inert plant matter (such as chlorophyll, plant waxes, bitter salts etc.) into the mix, but it works much, much better than it otherwise could at breaking down glandular material into a bioavailable form, without that water contamination. [​IMG]

This is why we have so much dosage discrepancy, and so many failed edible stories... the quality of your processing methods, as well as the oils you choose, both matter greatly. Different solvents (especially if they've been diluted) have different requirements, and they will interact within your body differently.

------

Without something to effect and enhance cellular permeability, on their own, cannabinoids for the most part just bounce off our cellular walls (going 'in one end, and out the other' through our tract, without absorption), rather than being absorbed on contact, and passing through them.

[​IMG]

The above 'water' could be brownie mix, it could be hot cocoa, it could be gravy for your mashed potatoes. [​IMG]

It represents whatever you just added your canna oil to, and it displays how your glandular material responds when properly made into a solution; it responds by maintaining a thin 'coat' of the solvent.

Our bodies simply are not capable of breaking down and absorbing much cannabis glandular material, in the amount of time it takes to digest and then pass that material.

And when we use an edible solvent, it not only breaks down and dilutes glandular material into particles small enough to be absorbed before they are even consumed, but it also provides a coating or 'vehicle' for cannabinoid delivery.

------------

Hope this helps clear things up! [​IMG]

12. See, this thread mindfucks me:

The first time I got high (I smoked once before), I ate a little less than an eighth of raw bud..

I got fucking RIPPED.

But I don't get it. Science says it's not possible to get high from eating it raw, but I'm living proof that I was higher than hell that day. It was NOT in my head.

That shit was almost 20 years ago. Wow...

13. It's not impossible, the rate of absorption and the overall amount absorbed is dramatically reduced, that's all... if you ate about 3.5g as a 'young grasshopper', especially if it was older material or 'mids' (the older, the more activated it's likely become), I'd be surprised if you didn't feel at least something :p

But a patient whose body is accustom to the rapid and regular delivery of a quality bioavailable oil, or repeated and heavy smoking, will not feel much of anything from raw or even activated cannabis, almost regardless how much they try to eat in a sitting. They can eat ten times their usual dose, but they simply are not capable of processing it for absorption at the rate their body anticipates, or in the volume their body is used to tolerating.

Hope that helps :)

14. I have eaten weed straight up and I have no idea if it did anything because it was right after i smoked a blunt.

15. Well done sir.

I have eaten weed and successfully gotten high. good body high.

16. Ofcourse you can
    Ask the people who had to eat some when getting pulled over by the police
    :hippie:

17. [quote name='"Apu"']No you can't mate lol(I have tried shoving 3.5 grams into potatoe and gravy small and nothing.) Have mercy that was like half a decade ago[/quote]

Ive Ate un activated hash and oil before and got fried out of my gord