no brothers grimm anymore? C99 & A11 about to be extinct?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Seeds Banks' started by pokernaut, Jan 11, 2008.

1. maybe the name's changed, but my "all indicas can fuck off and die" attitude is pure 1985 vintage. LOL before he opened his own seedbank, mr greengenes use to be an OGer too. i think i was drawn to the site because of the strain guide and got booted like a year or two before it went under.

until i started getting interested in a grow for this winter, i'd been away for grasscity a year or two as well.

i think i know better than to ask for anyone's help here regarding growing pure sativas as i just don't wanna hear it can't be done. only after i've tried and failed will i admit defeat and start compromising more locked strains like A11, romulan, LA confidential, SSH & medicine man etc.

despite all the bickering back at OG, i DO have one thing to be grateful for, eventually getting enough bits & pieces of second hand info to set my heart in cindy.

the planned 1st grow will be:
    mekong haze - delta 9 labs
    haze skunk - hi quality seeds
    full moon (thai hybrid) - sativa seeds
    laughing buddha - barney's farm (1x fem)
    LSD - barney's farm (1x fem)
    C99 - joey's weed
    8 miles high - Mandala
    Hashberry - Mandala
    urban poison (75% durban poison & 25% northern lights) - sativa seeds
    Super-Cali Haze (Nirvana Sky x Columbian) - Short Stuff freebie (1x fem)
    shark attack (superskunk [skunk #1 x afghani] x white widow) - Dinafem freebie (1x)
    California Hash (x2) (California Hash Plant x 10% Northern Lights) - Dinafem freebie
    Sweet Deep Grapefruit (Grapefruit x Blueberry) - Dinafem freebie (1x)
    Royal Haze (Haze x Skunk x Northern lights) short stuff freebie(i think 1x)

with C99 being my male with 5 starters for all of the indoor strains and 3 each for the sativas. there should be plenty of doable stuff to fall back on if the sativas just can't flower and this is purely for my headstash & tossing freebies to med use banks that give away beans so yield isn't an issue at all. i have a hunch that all of these strains & multiples should be able to get me through a couple months to my next harvest. regardless, i want this to be the first grow i don't fuck up and have commited to saving money to buy some shitty, put you to sleep with 3 hits indica if that's all i can get until harvest time.

i have a bunch of other stuff i'll use in the next round after testing, comparing and probably some shopping. i want to get 1 grow & a stash under my belt before i pop my rare bean like 1x flumpy's lowdown mystery & 2x buddha's sister x haze which is likely to be my male if i have 2 buddha's brothers. i'll probably be growing for flavor then.

i've got to start lightproofing my room & building the growroom & carbon scrubbers and might get a 480w digital sodium for a 50:50 setup.

oh! before i forget, if you ever want a more sativalike buzz off whatever you have, vaporize it! it does a good job of cutting couchlock down and is much smoother on the lungs besides tasting better. i'm getting a nice vaporizer come harvest time.

2. I remember alot of the pot we used to get in the mid to late 80`(high school days) you could smoke and still do stuff like hang out at the lake or river and do some swimming or rafting, drink some beer at a friends house and play quarters beer drinking games. I still like the head high without the couchlock. Back then we liked to smoke a bowl and do something not just sit around and stare at the TV. I still prefer the head high and have been looking for strains that do just that as I have gotten back into smoking weed.

3. back to an earlier comment, i didn't get any trippy effects out of the OLD SCHOOL kali mist i smoked. maybe the new version with some indica does that, but i don't see how. the effect i got was a pure happy & energetic rush. i tried to kick back and groove on tunes like i used to on columbian, but it just wouldn't let me sit still. it was a really fun buzz, but more suited towards running a marathon than kicking back and watching a movie that's 3D in your head.

you KNOW i'll be reporting on any bud i ever grow. part of the reason i have so many strains is that i want to compare & report on them so when people ask me about sativas, i can give them the lowdown with no bullshit.

i'd REALLY like to compare joey weed's C99 against mr greengenes' fems, even cross the two for some slight hybrid vigor instead of inbreeding F3s.

i'd like to inspire others to start growing sativas or at least dominants and increase demand for it. if only greedy ass hard headed east coast beasters would stop clinging to their own propaganda that sticky skunk bud and 600gm yields are the ultimate and start growing C99 instead, they'd find that demand for THEIR bud would skyrocket because they have shit that actually gets you high and there are indoor buds that can have trippy effects too but that also couchlock.

the east coast mainstream just needs to get it's head out of it's beaster ass. i used to want to grow sativas just so i could give them away and educate people on how they're being ripped off by overpriced & inferior schwag. 25 years of never getting high once after a dozen or two dealers, all of whom i told to go fuck themselves the second the give me drama or jerk me around, is a fucking crime! that millions of sheep just go with the flow without demanding QUALITY is part of the problem.

people in general fucking piss me off at their stupidity and constant willingness to let whoever is "in charge" fuck 'em in the ass & ask for seconds. DON'T get me started on BIG business and the environment or the economy. i'll start talking about rounding up CEOs, shareholders & lobbyists and...

4. I grew up on Highland Mexican and Oaxacan sativa..
    Gotta love a good sativa buzz, 100% indicas for the birds.
    I do enjoy a good hybrid though, 100% sativa is ideal if you can let it go 12-15 weeks..
    Gotta love a properly grown sativa, it's the best IMO.

5. A sativa high with no ceiling is awesome..
    If I could find legit landrace highland mexican or oaxacan seeds I would take the time to grow them out properly..

6. the columbian gold that spoiled me forever did have a ceiling if you smoked more than 4 hits... then, it WOULD either couchlock you, or if you inhaled too much, could give you the dizzies, but that ceiling was a mile higher than indicas that just put you in a coma. i only realized recently that i was smoking columbian gold and NOT thai as advertised but had suspected ever since reading the description for senor garcia only to have it confirmed by a toker from california who smoked the same shit under it's proper CG name. asian strains don't smell like pinecones, that's a mexican trait. asian sativas are fruity or spicy.

7. I have some Mosce BX1's growing now. I can't wait to finish them up. I think I am going to make a mother out of my favorite pheno

8. They've got some great gear Abe..
    No doubt I'd take a cutting to, you wont have a hard time finding a keeper with those genetics.

9. #49 pokernaut, Sep 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2010
    i see ICmag REALLY has it's shit wired together on the strain reporting front, but don't like the idea of joining more than one forum at a time. as long as you aren't looking for the lowdown on every strain ever sold, this forum covers the basics well enough and i've already settled in and made myself comfortable here. besides, grasscity needs at least one hardcore "all indicas must die!" conspiracy theorist. i'm just doing my civic duty here. LOL

i really wish GC would add another forum though just about strains & smoke reports. the strains are more important than seedbanks to me. i suggested it years ago and a mod said he'd pass the idea on and here 3-4 years later, still no strainbase much less a place to look for & share smoke reports. a good smoke report tells you 99% of what you need to know about any strain. what it looks like is irrelevant & what it grows like should be covered in any product description (which never gives the good smoke report it should either!)

even when you know someone who has experience with a strain, getting them to share the specifics on how it smokes is like pulling a fucking hungry & cranky tiger's tooth! you can beg & plead, but you'll never get anything more than "this shit is awesome! just grow it, you'll love it!" when they have no idea how angry couchlock makes you or how badly you want a strain with visual & other sensory effects. for 99% of people, if you get really stoned, that's good enough. *sigh*

can i get a witness?!!!

10. They added a Smoke Reports forum some months ago. And a Cannabis Breeding forum. They said it was all your idea. :confused_2:

Hallelujah!

Smoke reports are tough. First of all, a lot of people are not wordsmiths. In fact, I wonder if this avocation attracts more tradesmen and artisans than bankers and college professors. Cannabis growing may be a hobby more suited to people accustomed to working with their hands and doing for themselves. Our core demographic may not be overly articulate. We are doers, not spewers.

Another thing about smoke reports: have you ever noticed that you are always high as a kite when you are trying to write one? Or, worse yet, couch locked. "Really dank shit!", is about the best one can expect from a thoroughly couch locked reviewer of cannabis smoke. Frankly, we're lucky he remembers to hit the submit button.

Pokernaut, I made two separate passes at a smoke report on Barney's Farm LSD, the second report separated from the first by a few months (a few months of smoking LSD). If you get a chance, take a look at them and tell me what you think.

11. I know some people aren't word smiths but if there was a template to fill out...
    Like there was on the overgrow strain report and a couple of other sites it makes it easier.
    like...
    Smell: 1-10 <9>
    Keeper: <yes/no> <yes>
    Yeild: <average>

I've seen some really good ones for smoke reports, ill try to find one..

Breeder:
    Strain:
    Lineage if known:
    Grower:
    Judge:
    Type (sativa/indica ratio):

EYE APPEAL

<> Density
    <> Aroma

COMMENTS:

SMOKE REPORT

<> Potency
    <> Taste
    <> Smoothness (1 = harsh 10 = smooth)
    <> Indica Influence
    <> Sativa Influence
    <> Effect Onset (1 = immediate 10 = super creeper)
    <-> Duration (In hours)
    <> Tolerance Buildup (1 = slow 10 = fast)
    <> Overall Satisfaction

COMMENTS:

High Description:
    Smell:
    Taste:
    Medical Effects:
    <> Medicinal Strength

KEEPER?
    <> YES
    <> NO

FINAL COMMENTS:

12. I agree that a template can be useful, as can a glossary of commonly used terms. I've seen both over at icmag. There is someone in our Smoke Reports forum pushing a template, but the forum has not attracted many posters as of yet.

13. This is due to the fact that more of the GC population smoke for recreation rather then breed or want to get technical with it.
    The grow forum on here hasn't exactly blown up either... Know what I mean?
    They should let Pokernaut be a mod in the smoke report forum.

14. #54 pokernaut, Sep 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2010
    laughing my ass off and falling out of my chair! if they got the idea from me, they must be psychic then because i've never made a peep over there.

fuckin' A visa, you beat me to the punch! templates ARE the way to do it. that's why overgrow was the best place for info early on because their LIMITED templates actually got used although a simple all in the head to body high scale does not go into any acceptable level of detail.

i guess maybe there's a certain "poetry" to writing a smoke report from scratcxh, but to me, it's just telling it like it is. if you get visual & other sensory effects, it's trippy (THE absolute most overlooked quality in strain descriptions even when the strain actually DOES have that effect like many descriptions for haze that i've read.

a template is merely a reminder for all of those qualities everyone seems to forget like how harsh something smokes, how long it lasts, how fast it comes on etc. a few years ago, i was working with the creator of the original weed wiki on designing a website all about smoke reporting with other sections for grow reporting that actually linked back & forth with each other. i came up with the ideas for user friendliness eg. instead of using numerical scales for various smoke traits, using more intuitive smilies eg. one that's sleeping for couchlock and one running or bouncing for energetic. i loved the rough draft of the one i drew up for munchies with a smiley scarfing down a slice of pizza with it's eyes bugging or the one for paranoia with a worried looking smiley looking sideways. breaking the concepts down to smiley level makes them easier to understand than technical terms and translate much better into other languages. BTW if you ever go into spencer's gifts and look at their "i have an app for that" teeshirts with one button that has a pot leaf on it, i bet a nickel the creator stole the idea from the mockups i did for the sites simplified "playskool buttons" with descriptive pictures eg. an ambulance for med use.

sadly, i despise computers & can't program them, so i was relying on the others for the coding, graphics & ideas were my part. i put a lot of fucking hours into it too.

this is was the last rough draft of the smoke report chart minus the rest of the page that was designed at full screen resolution
    [​IMG]

this is the smiley i called "pizza face" to indicate munchies
    [​IMG]
    it looked better in the original pencil sketch, but was intended to be small where it would look better​

and here are some of the rough drafts for the START page where HOME would actually be the USER'S home/control panel whatever you want to call it.

[​IMG]

the top left was the final draft. see any similarity between these and those spencer's gifts teeshirts i didn't make a penny on? LOL the bottom left was a mockup of apolollo 11s "info page" with the purple button leading to breeding info, the bong smoke reports, the flower pot grow reports and the camera photos... DUH! i can't remember what the binoculars were supposed to link to... some sort of search

does spencers have a fucking kiss my ass! app? :laughing:

15. damn, im impressed.

nice web design youve got goin.

:cool:

16. eh... to bad it's just pretty pictures. after all the hackers that were supposed to make it happened bailed, so did the weed wiki dude i started the project with. it's a shame because the world really needs more honest smoke reporting to cut through all the advertising bullshit & rumors for strains. it's also nice when websites are easier to navigate than they generally are. do NOT get me started on big companies who only list their prodyuct numbers on their websites with no pictures, descriptions or prices or the other ones that do everything in fucking PDF!. man do i ever hate PDFs! just put the info up in HTML like every other fucking website on the internet assholes!

i never liked that whole "underlined text = link" crap either. it's fugly. computers, the internet & programs are always more complicated than they need to be. the hackers that program shit just don't have a clue to how annoying their stuff is and think everyone knows as much about computers as they do. they have no clue about ergonomics. i can visualize how stuff should work, but just don't have the chops to make it happen.