Welcome to Grasscity Forums - Register now for FREE
Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute.
Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Create an Account

Holding it in your lungs for a long time? Urban Myth or Not

• Please log in to reply

Spencer6289

Spencer6289

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
My friend says that you should not hold in the smoke for more then 5 secs cause your not gonna get more high or anything. His agrugement is that you loosing air so you feel light headed thats why you feel more high when you hold it in longer? Can anybody help tell that he is right or prove that he is wrong. Thanks for your help

Outis

Outis

• Registered Upgraded
  • 1,557 posts
Try it.

It always worked for me.
  • amsterdamage likes this

Spencer6289

Spencer6289

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
i usually do hold it in my lungs for long as possible im a THC whore ;)

primetime21335

primetime21335

• Registered Upgraded
  • 1,628 posts
I've noticed a distinct difference in my high if I hold in my hits 5-10 seconds instead of 2-3 seconds. I get a lot higher if i hold it in.

Im not a scientist, I don't KNOW the specifics about how long its useful to hold it in, but I do know from personal research ;) it gets you higher.

amsterdamage

amsterdamage

Debate, Demand, Legalize!

• Old School
  • 5,114 posts
I've always held it in as long as possible then let it out real slow but recently people at norml are saying you don't get any higher doing this, they say you only have to hold it in for 5 secs cos any longer doesn't do anything except deprive your brain of oxygen. Also it's supposed to be better for your lungs cos they don't have the smoke in them for as long

torontobudlover

torontobudlover

Nerd/stoner

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
you do get higher, the reason you smoke weed, is because when i burns it turns into tiny tiny molecules. YOur lungs are designed to absorb oxygen from air (which by the way is mostly nitrogen). The arteries in your lungs branch into a million tiny capillaries, effectively increasing surface area. These millions of tiny capillaries are so small they allow for gas exchange through their membranes right into the bloodstream and attach right to deoxygenated blood (which is blueish, thats why your veins look almost green, blood only goes red when it is oxygenated) and is carried to the brain and all your trillions and trillions of cells to carry on cellular life. THerefore the longer you hold your hit in, the longer you lungs have to absorb THC directly into the bloodstream.

its that simple.

-tbl

JBdubs

JBdubs

wee.

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
It only takes the lungs 2-3 seconds for the aleveoli to absorb the THC. Holding the hit longer is just depriving yourself from oxygen (and replacing it with smoke which isn't all that good for you). You feel higher from the lack of O2 and because the THC is probably hitting your blood stream a little earlier. So I would say you don't get highER from holding your hits in longer, but you'll feel higher fastER if you hold them in. It's not good for you though, but not much that's fun is.

torontobudlover

torontobudlover

Nerd/stoner

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

It only takes the lungs 2-3 seconds for the aleveoli to absorb the THC. Holding the hit longer is just depriving yourself from oxygen (and replacing it with smoke which isn't all that good for you). You feel higher from the lack of O2 and because the THC is probably hitting your blood stream a little earlier. So I would say you don't get highER from holding your hits in longer, but you'll feel higher fastER if you hold them in. It's not good for you though, but not much that's fun is.

Aleveoli.......thats the word i was looking for.

-tbl

apathy951

apathy951

Banned

• Banned by Moderators
  • 368 posts
i casper my hits till nothing comes out.

D3vO

D3vO

Marijuana User

• Old School
  • 2,163 posts
I have heard somewhere...i dunno where prolly in the pages of this city that the thc gets totally absorbed after about 7 seconds ... this is what i usually go by when I take my hits

the holding in forever def. is not needed and like people have been saying it just deprives your brain of sweet sweet oxygen

here ya go :wave:
http://forum.grassci...-hold-hits.html
http://forum.grassci...-hold-hits.html
http://forum.grassci...-your-hits.html

SERIOUSLY PEOPLE....search button will tell you everything you ever need to know, EVER:p

jakerc

jakerc

• Registered Upgraded
  • 215 posts
i can't cite a source but i'm pretty sure that something like 90-95% of the thc in a hit is absorbed by your lungs within the first 3 seconds of taking a hit. i personally hold in hits for 4-5 seconds, and i like to take as much fresh air in as i can so that the hit gets all the way into my lungs. i think holding your hits for longer than 6-7 seconds is probably overkill though.
  • amsterdamage likes this

Dan Gleesac

Dan Gleesac

• Registered Upgraded
  • 4,035 posts
you would get higher because the thc would have a lot more time to soak into your lungs and therefor get into your blood stream.....itll work...or just do it anyway theres nothing to lose and only things to gain!!!!

JollyRoger227

JollyRoger227

Live, Laugh, Love

• Old School
  • 6,520 posts
I hold my hits for a little while, I really don't think it makes much of a difference though lol

lappin420

lappin420

BC where the kush at

• Registered Upgraded
  • 244 posts

sorry, but you have no idea what your talking about.
to fully absorb 1 big hoot you need to hold the smoke in for 30 seconds, i never hold mine in for 30 seconds but you get alot higher if you hold your hoot in for 10-15 seconds rather then 2-3

MadTokez

MadTokez

• Registered Upgraded
  • 234 posts

sorry, but you have no idea what your talking about.
to fully absorb 1 big hoot you need to hold the smoke in for 30 seconds, i never hold mine in for 30 seconds but you get alot higher if you hold your hoot in for 10-15 seconds rather then 2-3

as stated by countless others, you are just depriving yourself of oxygen making yourself feel higher. All thc is void from smoke after 7 seconds, so anything after that is completely pointless.

KillaKali

KillaKali

Stealing Happy Hours...

• Registered Upgraded
  • 130 posts

Aleveoli.......thats the word i was looking for.

-tbl

Close... alveoli is the word haha. But yea, holding your hit for anymore than 5 secs is pointless to get more high off of THC. Like said above, you're only getting "high" off of the other harmful chemicals in the smoke binding to individual alveoli thus temporarily blocking their ability to bind O2. High due to oxygen deprivation to the brain in short.

Personally, i'd rather just get high off the THC and not continue to absorb all the other harmful crap in the smoke. It'll be a more clear high and less headache/come down and crash high anyhow. Take the hit, inhale, hold for a few seconds, exhale, enjoy, repeat :smoking:

lappin420

lappin420

BC where the kush at

• Registered Upgraded
  • 244 posts

as stated by countless others, you are just depriving yourself of oxygen making yourself feel higher. All thc is void from smoke after 7 seconds, so anything after that is completely pointless.

no it isnt, there is still thc in the smoke after 10 seconds even..
5 or 7 seconds isnt long enough if you ask me, its almost like a waste of smoke

blackmore

blackmore

Blues; Made by women, Played by man.

• Registered Upgraded
  • 962 posts
And dont forget

"he who coughs shall be the most stoned"

when you cough, it dislodges all that buildup in your lungs, allows in thc to more areas.

So next time, cough on purpose!!.....:)

lennyjr358

lennyjr358

• Registered Upgraded
  • 188 posts

you do get higher, the reason you smoke weed, is because when i burns it turns into tiny tiny molecules. YOur lungs are designed to absorb oxygen from air (which by the way is mostly nitrogen). The arteries in your lungs branch into a million tiny capillaries, effectively increasing surface area. These millions of tiny capillaries are so small they allow for gas exchange through their membranes right into the bloodstream and attach right to deoxygenated blood (which is blueish, thats why your veins look almost green, blood only goes red when it is oxygenated) and is carried to the brain and all your trillions and trillions of cells to carry on cellular life. THerefore the longer you hold your hit in, the longer you lungs have to absorb THC directly into the bloodstream.

its that simple.

-tbl

this is actually not true. blood is always red. the only reason it looks green through your skin is just that...you are looking through your skin. think about it. when you get blood drawn it is not coming in contact with any oxygen. because syringes are meant specifically NOT to let in any oxygen. and yet it comes out red still. a quick google search will tell you the truth:p.

and as far as holding your hits, i only hold for maybe 5 seconds. it has never made much of a difference to me. i always get high:smoking:

lappin420

lappin420

BC where the kush at

• Registered Upgraded
  • 244 posts

this is actually not true. blood is always red. the only reason it looks green through your skin is just that...you are looking through your skin. think about it. when you get blood drawn it is not coming in contact with any oxygen. because syringes are meant specifically NOT to let in any oxygen. and yet it comes out red still. a quick google search will tell you the truth:p.

and as far as holding your hits, i only hold for maybe 5 seconds. it has never made much of a difference to me. i always get high:smoking:

actually, blood is blue when its deoxygenated.
certain parts of your body have blood with oxygen and other do not.
dont beleive me? read this then

Two pumps (in a single heart)
  • one to pump deoxygenated blood to the lungs;
  • the other to pump oxygenated blood to all the other organs and tissues of the body.
the rest of the info can be found here if you really want. http://users.rcn.com...irculation.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users