DIY: Best Cool Tube

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Mystic, Nov 1, 2007.

1. I see, well I have a 400w MH (4.625" in diameter) I need to cool and was just curious where you got a 6" diameter tube to cool her. We can all get them off ebay, was just hopin for a better solution.

On another note Im gettin flamed on another thread so I have to deal with noobs.

2. haha this is kind of a noobish question but do you suck hot air out through the cool tube or blow cool air in. And what type of fan would you recommend for that

~Trent

3. Yery nice and clean setup there I am going to see if its viable to make a water cooled version of this. + Rep

4. wow......what a great idea.....thanks!!!:hello:

5. great post.... bump

6. where does the ballast go though?

7. anybody know if you can use a glass cutter to cut the pyrex tube to size? somewhere i read pyrex would shatter if you tried to cut it, but i'm not sure if they meant with a glass cutter or not.

8. great guide thanks + rep man

9. Does anyone else have trouble finding the mogul socket? That's the last piece I need and lowes and home depot do not carry them

10. I found my mogul sockets off 1000bulbs.com

I know that's probably not helpful for your case, just thought I'd share.

11. Thanks anyway I ended up just chopping off my current socket and got it out of weird casing. This turns out great it's a easy diy! Cost me under 20 bucks and looks just as good as a store bought one.

12. Just put a couple loops of copper pipe infront of your fan and run your water thru it. If you do that, you should make sure moisture doesn't damage your bulb.

13. Mystic,
    I just used this to make a cool tube for my 600 watt. Thanks so much, it works great and I'm going to be making the reflector today to get that extra light back on the girls. This is going to be perfect for my next grow. Thanks a ton. :hello:

14. NewbieG:

What type of 600 watt bulb are you using, (MH or HPS & what brand), for sizing referance, (or better yet can you also take measurments of the bulb itself, Dia. & Length). Also if you have the ability, what kind of temperature is the exterior of the tube hitting after about a 1/2 hour runtime?

I am interested in connecting two of these in series with a 600 watt hps in each and hanging the pair vertically, (as in a vertical grow for flowering). Was wondering if the diameter of the Pyrex Bake-A-Round tubes can handle the heat from a dual setup as described?

duckfool:

Thank you VERY much for the informative instructions, parts list, photo's, etc... Good job!

15. I'm actually not using a bake around. I'm using a 10 inch candle hurricane shade, but I would realy suggest using a 14 inch one. The 10 inch one fits my 600 watt bulb after all was said and done but its just barely. I am probably loosing a few lumens. I was actually thinking of attaching two of them together so that I could have dual spectrum 400 watt and 600 watt bulbs, but you are going to have to attach the two glass shades and are going to have to cover a good part of it with tape to make it work. Maybe thats where your second light could start. Here a link of a hurricane shade I would suggest. I have no relation with them, just really cheap stuff.

hxxp://www.save-on-crafts.com/hurcanshad14.html

change the xx to tt. They also have the 10 inch shade I used if you want a straight cooltube.

16. great how 2. so im guessing 150 is the highest you can go right ?

17. I'd like to know thi smyself as i'm bidding on one on Ebay right now. I was hoping to work it onto a 400w HPS. Anyone?
    Gonna have to go measure my bulb now lol.

18. check my sig, i'm using a 400w HPS inside a cooltube based semi-off lemon's tut.

19. Thanks alot man! And thats the Pyrex Bake-A-Round your using?