So you want to grow Marijuana, your ?'s answered here.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by jcj77d, Jul 27, 2007.

1. That LED will run hotter than a CFL and 88 degrees is pushing it as it is, and being that close will cook your seedlings in a day or 2. A 6in tall res will be too small unless you want warm swampy roots and to be topping up 3 times a day(don't forget you have to mix your nutes each time), each one of my buckets has more volume than that grow space. And autos don't respond well to training, there's just not enough time in their life cycle to recover. I usually suggest auto's for low maintenance outdoor gorilla grows, photo plants are far more suited for DWC as you can keep a mother in one box with a 5 gallon res and take clones and put them in 3 gallon res directly under 12/12 and you have as much ganj as an auto in 8 - 10 weeks instead of 11-13

2. Well the res is only 6 inches tall, but it's 12" by 14" so it holds about 3 gallons and the diy "net cup" has a lip so it sits partly above the res so the water inside can be raised higher. I understand your concern about the space... but so many other people have successfully grown in smaller set ups, even with autos. I do wish I read your comment about the LED running hotter than cfls... I would have considered a lower wattage. Hopefully it won't run to hot. I'll keep an eye out for them and switch back to the cfl's if needed or possibly add some Co2 if I can seal the box properly. I do have a larger grow space planned but wanted a test run first. My next set  up will be larger and include a space for at Mother plant. I actually have a few started in coco fir/perlite mix while I'm work on a water cooling  device. ( peltier hooked up to aluminum piping that will run through res. ) Thanks for the advice it was very much appreciated!

3. Four to five weeks sounds short. With the two week switch over period that equals six to seven weeks. Trichs will tell ya when it's done. Don't be in a hurry! Time pays off!

4. Where's the cheapest place to get my lights, fans, and exhaust? Or a kit with everything included?

5. Amazon or ebay, Don't expect the best but it will get you started

6. Reverting could possibly induce hermie plants. Thanks for the answers folks lol

7. Sorry if I am asking some dumb questions but being green as a pool table to this (once about 30 yrs ago) I have several questions
    1) Is it better to start the seed in a small cup and transplant?
    2) What is the best soil to use? I bought some for my first failed try that was DAMP throughout and of course the plant got an inch high and died.
    3) If I grow outdoors-I have a courtyard thats fenced in-can I bring the plants in at night or just leave them outside?
    4) Being on disability and not much money, I think I will have to use CFL lights-what is the optimum amount of lights I should use?
    5) I really only need one plant

Thanks for any help-I have some more seeds but dont want to just blow through them and kill every one of them!

TIA everyone

8. Questions:

How many watts of LED do you need per sqft?

Would white LEDS work? I know there are reasons for red/blue but one would think a full spectrum would work well too?

Any ways to reduce fan noise with say a voltage regulator? Would that do any damage to the fan?

How much veg time would you need to end up with a plant <12''? (1 week?)

Sorry for all the questions, hard to find anything valuable in the micro grow section. :p

Looking to do some kind of micro build with leds and some small lollipopped plants maybe in some sort of perpetual configuration.

9. IMO which is not of years of experience and such is to start them in small well aerated pots, keep them in propagation hoods, or make a DIY one with a larger container and some plastic wrap or something to keep humidity levels high. You don't want to drench the soil, just most the top few inches and the inside of the container daily, with this I managed to make 6/6 of my first seeds survive and all I used was little cup sized coco noir cups because the roots can grow through them and put three in a gallon size pot, and roped it with a ziploc bag.

As for soil, your best bet is to go under the organic section and look at the simple soil mix they have there that's what I've done my whole grow with and my girls are happy, MAKESURE you have plenty of perlite, preferably 40-50% of your soil consisting of it which will prevent damping off.

As for lights I really have no knowledge of CFLS, the heat they produce, or the distance they need to be from the light so I will definitely not attempt to answer that.

I have no experience with outdoors so all I can say is you don't want your temps getting below 65-70. So if they do I would most definitely bring them in.

10. #33590 SubliminalWeeney, Apr 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2015
    Your liking at a week to just get an inch bro. Germination takes 1-2 weeks alone. After that no one can say, it's dependent on strain, the phenotypes the plant expresses, how well you are meeting it's needs with watering/available amendments and the distance from the light. Short and bushy is better than stretchy and skinny bud, Rome was not built in a day bud!

11. What's the best info like on supplies and strain, indoor or outdoor you could give to a passionate newbie.

12. #33592 greenbuzz79, Apr 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2015
    Best info I could give is figure out what you want to do then study on this forum or others amongst other sources. I studied for at least six months before idecided to get started. Only thing I found so far that i messed up on was using nutes at first. Now organic, just add water. Every noob wants their grow to be perfect but part of the fun is learning how to do perfect while enjoying whatever fruits you get till you get to perfect. Smoke!

13. Im new and dont know if this is right place to ask but I germinated and planted my seeds from my window sill. That was 5 days ago. Plants are doing fine but now want to move outside. How do I do this without putting them into shock or other problems. Please PM me. Thanks

14. Not going to pm you. But 1st day only sit them outside for 3 or 4 hours 2nd day 5 or 6 3rd day I'd put em out. That's just me.

15. Thanks for the advice Newb.

16. You might even start out at 1-3 hours first day all up to you and how careful you wanna be. Hope it works out for ya, No problem. I love herijuana had some not to long ago. Good stuff

17. Right now ive got 5 Green Crack, 1 Critical Sensi Star and 1 Strawberry Blue going. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. Weather was just a little too shitty this past week to have outside thus the window sill start. This is my 4th season growing. I know im REALLY late on the start but the seeds took FOREVER to get here from UK. All feminized.

18. And they are starting to get all stretchy. Thats why im dying to get them outside all together. Ive had them out now for at least 3 hours.

19. Filled in the stretch with more substrate

Attached Files:

20. they all sound bomb, what seedbank did you order from? mine took I think 13 days from DNA Genetics