Welcome to Grasscity Forums - Register now for FREE
Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute.
Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Create an Account

Isopropyl Hash - Ice Hash

• Please log in to reply

skatardude10

skatardude10

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Aloha Friends! I was just looking to share my experiences making Isopropyl Hash and Ice Hash... and was wondering if any of you guys enjoy making hash? And I was also wondering if extracting THC using Isopropyl is dangerous at all? I am somewhat new to smoking, and find experiments like this very interesting!

Anyways, I first started out making Ice (water) hash. First, I started out with about an 1/8th of regs that were stuck in the freezer for about an hour prior to breaking it up, then sticking it in the blender. I then took about as much ice as I had pot and stuck that in the blender too, along with some water. I heard that the less you blend it, the higher quality hash you get. Well, this is apparantly very true. After a little while blending, I ended up with a very slushy mixture, and I thought I needed more ice, so I ended up getting an unblendable mixture... so I added more water... and it just turned out sorta nasty. Anyways, I figured the mixture had been "bashed" up enough... so I went ahead and melted off the ice in the blender with hot running water on the outside of the blender, and I then strained off the rest of the plant matter using a metal filter. After all the straining, I was left with 5 cups of water that I then set in my refrigerator for about 2 hours as the plant matter rose to the top and the trichomes sank to the bottom. After everything had time to settle out, I carefully poured off the top layer of water down to about 1 inch above the trichomes... straining the water to save the plant matter. I then was left with a bunch of soaking wet pot that I then dried and continued to smoke, and 5 small glasses of water full of glorious trichomes. I then used paper coffee filters to strain off the rest of the water and collect the trichomes. I then squeezed off the excess water, scraped off the resulting material and pressed it into a little ball.

The final product was dried and pressed, and I was left with a smooth hitting, great tasting hash that was easily twice as potent hit for hit as the pot that I started out with, but it was not nearly as potent as some of more pure forms bubble hash, or other types of hash. I do not have a scale, but I possibly ended up with about .25 - .4g of hash from the 3 grams or so that I started out with.

:smoke:

My next project came when I got ahold of about 4 to 5 or so grams of leaf from a regs plant. I knew that making ice hash out of it would be useless, so I looked to Isopropyl Alcohol to extract the THC. I took the scooter up to the store, looked around, and could only find up to 91% isopropyl alcohol- I was looking for 99%. I figured 91% would work. Once I got home, I crushed up the leaves, they were all very dry, and I put them in a tupperware container that measured about 3"x3"x3". I then poured enough Isopropyl in the container to suspend the leaves by about an eigth of an inch... so the container was about halfway full. I then shook the container vigorously for about 10 minutes, and I let it sit for another 2 hours... shaking periodically. After the initial 5 minutes, the mixture became a very very dark but interestingly green color, that you couldn't see through in the least. After the 2 hours of THC extraction, I strained the mixture through a metal filter. I squeezed out the isopropyl remaining in the plant. I then took the cup of strained isopropyl alcohol containing most the THC that was in the plant, and poured it in a large flat metal pan that had a very smooth bottom (for scraping the remaining resin). I let the Isopropyl spread across the whole pan, and I put a heat fan next to the pan to speed evaporation. I left for an hour to go to meet a friend, and upon returning, I was met with a nice layer of dry, dark colored resin. I then scraped up the resin and rolled it into a nice little ball. I then repeated the same previous steps on the second batch of isopropyl alcohol that I had prepared earlier with the same leaf... I strained out the mixture again, and let the rest evaporate in the pan, then I scraped that up too. After all was said and done, I was left with a gooey black ball that left a dark green gooey residue on everything... the size of the ball was in the 7 - 8mm range.

The final product when smoked seemed very pure. It doesnt taste bad when smoked, doesn't smell much if at all... and it is VERY potent. It tends to bubble like crazy when smoked, and a good sized chunk along with a small bowl for each of my friends and I got all of us more stoned then ever before. It was about 2:30am and I was stoned out to the point where I couldn't keep my focus on anything, and could berally sustain myself just sitting back in the couch... let alone walking home. I quickly passed out after the thought of trying to make it home, and I ended up waking at about 5:30am that same morning, not feeling stoned, feeling great!

:hippie: <<< One could describe the experience to be much like this...

The last thing I did, was make a small tincture with the remaining residue on the bottom of the metal pan. I took a tiny bit of iso alcohol, and moved it back and forth over the pan untill it disolved all the residue, and I was again left with a somewhat oily substance that shined a RICH greenish amberish color in the sun. I let the isopropyl evaporate untill I had just enough to fill the little glass vile I had laying around.

I tested dropping a few drops of this tincture on some crippy. I let it dry completely. The product that resulted was darker, richer and stickier than before, and it increased the potency by a somewhat considerable amount. I got bored with the rest of the tincture just sitting in the vile, so I put it back in the pan, re-evaporated it, re-scraped the pan, and let my sister smoke the rest of the hash, which ended up to be only about a ~1mm ball... and her impressions were very positive. She said she felt it coming on quite strong before exhaling the first hit.

:D

I would love to hear what you guys have to say about all of this, along with your experiences preparing and smoking bubble, ice, and iso hash, or other kinds of hash. Also, what do you guys think about using isopropyl alcohol?
  • syntax13, and JohnnyWeedSeed like this

syntax13

syntax13

• Registered Upgraded
  • 1,694 posts
Wow man. Thanks a lot for that. Its rare that we see such useful posts on the board. You've inspired me to buy schwag and make hash with it when I can't get dank.

+Rep

chucker69

chucker69

• Registered Upgraded
  • 214 posts
damn that was def one of the best post ive ever read

+ rep you fucking deserve it

JohnnyWeedSeed

JohnnyWeedSeed

Politically Incorrect

• Bronze Member
  • 10,299 posts

skatardude10

skatardude10

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks for the replys guys, I appreciate it.

+ fuckin rep mang! bravo for that post. you got a strong future here in the city. im gonna go out next payday and get a big ol bag of shit weed and make iso hash. that was a great tutorial. thanks.

I have been reading up more on making honey oils and other extractions... A butane extraction may cost a bit more, because you have to buy pvc, and be able to drill holes... but with the butane extraction, you will get a more pure product resulting in almost pure THC in the form of a golden yellow oil. Read this post from the Shroomery.org. There is a few details missing from the process that this post mentions though... so look for a longer explanation somewhere on google.

If you have lots of plant matter left over you should try butane extraction(honey oil). Butane/ISO extractions on bud(unless its some schwag) seems like a waste of time/pot to me. But anyways...

You need a peice of PVC pipe and 2 end caps, the size/length of the pipe depends on how much plant matter you have, if you have a lot then foot long 1-2 inches wide should be plenty but you may have to load it up a couple times, can make it smaller if you have less to work with. And some cans of butane. On one end cap drill a single hole small enough so that when you stick the butane can into it, it will depress the nozzle and release the butane. On the other end cap just drill a few small holes, make it like a salt shaker.

Fill you pipe up with your ground up green and hold it over a pyrex container, and spray away, the butane will drip into the pyrex container then evaporate away leaving a honey colored oil. Pure THC.

It is really sticky and can be a hassle to deal with, I always preferred eating it, but afoaf told me if you put it in the freezer it will harden/thicken up to make it easier to handle for smoking.

But it is basically the same thing you are making(cherry oil), it just doesn't extract plant matter/chlorophyll and evaporates instantly.

You can google lots of good honey oil teks for further clarification.

Guest_Norma Stits_*

Guest_Norma Stits_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In
good info dude!.. i just started doing iso hash after my last grow. I think it's the easiest way to go
here's my last batch.

Posted Image

skatardude10

skatardude10

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Ooo!! That's a beauty... how large is that clump of hash in the picture?

Guest_Norma Stits_*

Guest_Norma Stits_*

Ooo!! That's a beauty... how large is that clump of hash in the picture?

about 2 g's. used about 1 oz of fresh trim and washed in 91% for 30 seconds.
The first batch i made was a lot darker and a little green cause i got greedy and let it sit to long. Still tasty as hell and fucked me up pretty good.

pic of 1st batch..

Posted Image

i'm thinking of trying bubble bags next time... what did you think of the difference between ice and isoprophyl?

skatardude10

skatardude10

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Well i'm almost positive that I messed up horribly on the ice hash, but what did come out was alot cleaner and nicer to smoke compared to the iso hash... but less potent, because I screwed up. If you do it right though, ice hash is amazing. Honestly though, I need to do some more experimentation... I know I can do everything 100% better the second time around. This was my first time doing any of this... I did it just to get a feel for it mainly.

The bubble bags look promising, but also a bit expensive.

I soaked my isopropyl for 2 hours though; some websites say to let it soak for up to 2 weeks. How did you go about soaking it for only 30 seconds?

ondrugz

ondrugz

• Registered Upgraded
  • 3,733 posts
hell yea ive been saving shake and stems getting ready to make my first batch of hash i think im gonna try the iso hash

another 2-3 bags and ill have enuff

Guest_Norma Stits_*

Guest_Norma Stits_*

Well i'm almost positive that I messed up horribly on the ice hash, but what did come out was alot cleaner and nicer to smoke compared to the iso hash... but less potent, because I screwed up. If you do it right though, ice hash is amazing. Honestly though, I need to do some more experimentation... I know I can do everything 100% better the second time around. This was my first time doing any of this... I did it just to get a feel for it mainly.

The bubble bags look promising, but also a bit expensive.

I soaked my isopropyl for 2 hours though; some websites say to let it soak for up to 2 weeks. How did you go about soaking it for only 30 seconds?

yeah same here man.. the difference between my 1st and 2nd tries was way different. I hear the bubble bag method is the way to go. but like you said it's expensive (and it looks like a pain in the ass)..

as far as the 30 seconds.. the way i was told on another site was:

get your frosty leaves, popcorn buds shcwag weed w/e.. put it in a mason jar and freeze it for a few hours.
cover it in the 91% iso and shake it for 20 seconds to 2 minutes (depending on what you want quality/yield wise).
pour it through a strainer lined with coffee filters into a pyrex pan.. let it evaporate overnite (depending on volume) and scrape up the hash..

the 1st pic was the 30 second stuff.. the second pic was the 2 minute stuff.

ondrugz

ondrugz

• Registered Upgraded
  • 3,733 posts

yeah same here man.. the difference between my 1st and 2nd tries was way different. I hear the bubble bag method is the way to go. but like you said it's expensive (and it looks like a pain in the ass)..

as far as the 30 seconds.. the way i was told on another site was:

get your frosty leaves, popcorn buds shcwag weed w/e.. put it in a mason jar and freeze it for a few hours.
cover it in the 91% iso and shake it for 20 seconds to 2 minutes (depending on what you want quality/yield wise).
pour it through a strainer lined with coffee filters into a pyrex pan.. let it evaporate overnite (depending on volume) and scrape up the hash..

the 1st pic was the 30 second stuff.. the second pic was the 2 minute stuff.

have you done this? that method sound the easiest to me

and when you say "cover it" in the alci do you mean poar it in the jar and let it soak or just put the buds on a coffee filter and pour the alci on it and just getting it wet

Guest_Norma Stits_*

Guest_Norma Stits_*

have you done this? that method sound the easiest to me

and when you say "cover it" in the alci do you mean poar it in the jar and let it soak or just put the buds on a coffee filter and pour the alci on it and just getting it wet

yeah i've done it a few times..

what i meant was pour the iso into the jar just enough to cover the product..

here's the link where i found the info.. i kinda do a variation of this dudes method.
http://www.hg420.com...read.php?t=5786
gl man.

somekind

somekind

Banned

• Banned by Moderators
  • 2,799 posts
OK, I've never made any hash other than just rubbing it off my fingers after trimming buds. I'd like to learn how to make this hash.

If you know of any links to other hash making threads, please post them.

I've heard of people using rocket fuel, it's supposed to be a very pure solvent. I have a friend who works for NASA and puts it in his Mustang (as a fuel addative, I think). Should I try to get some of this for making hash?

How does one compare using ice water or iso?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users