Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

ADHD , Marijuana and Alcoholics Anonymous

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by kenoshabon, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Hi:
    I'm a 43 year old woman who became an alcoholic in my 20's. Been in and out of AA, finally stayed and now have 3yrs 4 months sober. I've always, since my first memory, have what we now know to be ADD/RBS which is Attention Defecit Disorder/Racing Brain Symdrome. Of all the persons with ADD or ADHD, it's estimated that 4-5% have the RBS associated with it. Maybe you've seen the TV commercials depicting the woman at work, boss talking to her in a meeting, and racing pictures are shown, showing the viewer what it is like to be ADD. Very true depection.

Anyway (whew!) I began smoking pot on an almost daily basis (now daily) in late Februray this year (2007). And slowly but surely, the most amaing thing has happened. I think clearer - S L O W E R - the thoughts make sense, and I can CONCENTRATE for long periods of time - never could do that unless I was realllly realllly tired . . .odd.

Are there any other AA's out there, either with diagnosed or undiagnosed ADD, who have experienced this? How do you handle it and still work a program? Funny, if it were any other illegal drug, it would be a non-issue. But because you can't physically "overdose", and you can't physically become addicted, it raises sooooo many other questions in my mind that I hope I can discuss with another person walking in my shoes.

Another 24,
    Kenoshabon

*thread merged with the other, no need to have two* - TokinBlue

2. Uhm, if this helps any i have add, and when i smoke i become slower but the way i can remember the past is shitty, so its not good for tests, but i now believe that eating it is better for add, or maybe i just need a better strain, and/or not smoke as much. Anyways, when you get this add relief does it start as soon as you toke, or what is your rotation(wake and bake?) Have you ever tried eating them?
    feel free to ask what i asked, i am stoned so it may be a but mutterd heh.

3. I have ADD. I used to smoke before school sometimes if I had time and on those days I would be able to pay attention 100% better. I could actually focus on what my teacher was saying and I could do work without becoming distracted every second.

4. It's incredibile how weed can help so many things

5. ^^ very true.

im glad that marijuana has helped you.

so that must mean...............1 point us - 0 points goverment

6. this is really interesting.
    you should try mushrooms to help with your alcoholism. Seriously.

thanks for sharing your story.

7. Nice. It's kind of a relief kowing that there are other adults who's views aren't twisted by the government and false connotations. All older adults I know are stubborn and would never change their incorrect views about pot.

8. Glad to see MJ helps your problems... There seems to be this misconception that MJ isn't physically addictive at all... But it IS mildly physically addictive.

Anywayz... Back on topic... I'm starting to think I need to get checked for RBS... I've noticed my racing thoughts have calmed down A LOT since I've started smoking... Before I started smoking MJ I couldn't get my thoughts to stay on 1 topic for more than a few seconds. It was constantly jumping from one thing to the next to the next and so on, with no way I could stop it. Thank God I discovered MJ when I did :D

9. Yeah a heavy trip on shrooms or 'cid can "reboot" your consciousness. Well not reboot exactly, it can just radically change the way you think about your life. A FOAF quit weed and everything else after a 5 gram shroom trip, he realized they weren't helping his life, now he's doing really well in college. He says after that trip he didn't need anymore drugs, he had the answers he wanted.

10. If you're going to do either of those, try to do mushrooms, it's easier on your brain.

11. i also have pretty bad ADD. i used to be on ritalin but not anymore, but yes i have noticed that marijuana helps me with paying attention and focusing. the plant that the government claims that is so harmful and addicting and horrible has helped me overcome my ADD.

12. adderol helps me focus
    if that may be a suggestion of mine

ask your doctor

although i am stoned:smoke:

13. Its nice to see someone who is also helped by smoking the herb. I have had a family history of chronic migraines, high blood pressure, and depression, had MRIs and brain scans turn up nothing, but after smoking for 5 years I can say I havent had a migraine in 5 years, I have never been depressed even after some rough times, and my blood pressure is very healthy. Heres to the power of the herb.

14. i never went to aa i just quit drinking, AA just didnt appeal to me so i just did it on my own

but i do have add, and yes bud makes it easier for me to concentrate

and congrats on the sobriety, stay strong

15. Thanks, everyone, for your supportive responses.

I'm still struggling, however, with being in the AA program and using herb. One of AA's principles is not using anything that is mind altering. However, what non herb users don't get is that I only use a small amount, and it makes me feel "normal". Not mind-altered. Some may say I'm justifying, and maybe I am. I just want to be on the same "playing field" at work and in life! And, in the words of Eleanor Roosevelt, "Do what is right in your heart; you'll be criticized either way".

Actually, if it was just up to me, I'd use like I am currently (evenings only), and not say anything. However, that dear hubby of mine likes to work my program for me . . .
    He's not alcoholic, nor even CLOSE to being ADHD. Lucky dog . . .

Still looking for another AA who uses the herb . . . . . . Are you Out There?!?!

16. i've been going to aa for 20+ years and i'm not sure what you're talking about here... hey, did you know bill w. used acid? he had bad depression and tried a bunch of things!

17. depressants calm the mind and body to some degree

people with mental hyperactivity disorder are usually calm so pot will slow them down all around making thought processing easier to lock onto but at the cost of mental clarity (same with heroin alcohol and so on)

while uppers will force their bodies chemical reactions to move as close to your adhd addled brains speed

if you combine the two boring tasks become tolerable while the uppers effect on repeative tasks is lowered

food goes down easier stoned on adhd meds and all around it's productive

now if your one of those loud mouth hyper look at me fidgity mother fuckers we all hated in school your brain may or may not be kicking your bodies ass in the rat race

if brain is the hare speed and pot may make you freaky quick in body 'n mind if not you'll probably be average in most respects

18. Sorry 'bout that. I should say it is suggested that nothing mind altering be used. At least that is what I've heard. Anyway, if you are on this site, I assume, you also use weed? Any advice on the subject?

Interesting about Bill W. didn't know that. Actually, didn't even know acid was around way back then!

19. [quote name='pakaL0L0']this is really interesting.
    you should try mushrooms to help with your alcoholism. Seriously.

thanks for sharing your story.[/quote

Thanks for the advice, but AA has worked great for me; don't think about alcohol much at all any more. God, I don't miss the hangovers, barfing etc. I'm done!

20. Thanks, I guess! OLDER adults???????? Funny, I think of my PARENTS as older adults, not me. Guess its all relative . . .

In terms of the Government, I just believe that there is medicinal value in weed; I know it has helped me with my ADD/ADHD, and otherpeople out there with Turette's syndrome, cancer, AIDS, depression, Bipolar disorder, the list goes on and on. The way I figure it, there has to be some monetary motivation behind it's being illegal. Where I live, alcohol is sold just about EVERYWHERE - so much pain, misery and death caused by this LEGAL toxin to the body. YET, something that is organic and helpful is not only illegal, but even when made legal by the state, STILL the government prosecutes. It is a sad state of affairs . . . .