PrettyBuds's 2007 Grow

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by prettybuds, Jul 4, 2007.

1. He's an update. That little one is definitely dead. On a brighter note, I had to add another tie down to one of the bigger ones. There's also been a lot of nice growth on the inner nodes, I can't wait to see those things getting nice and big.

The other baby seems to be doing alright, it actually kinda of fell over the other day as well, however it turned it's leaves up and is growing fine, almost like it's LSTing itself. That would be cool.

Again, more rain, so these plants have been kind of maintenance free in terms of ferts and watering. Although I would like to see them dry out a little so I can control that process. Either way, I'd say I should be getting some preflowers on the bigger ones within the next few weeks. That strain tends to flower a little later and longer. Probably like 8-10 weeks, which is another reason I'm keeping them in pots, who knows when the frost will come.

I'll get some more pics up this weekend, by that time the other bigger girl will most likely need to be tied down some more.

Question for you experts out there. Once the girls begin to flower, will continuing to LST be advantageous? Or will it take energy away from the buds? Because I don't think I'm going to be all the way around the pot by the time flowering starts.

Please advise.

2. Actually, the plant when flowering focuses most of its energy on bud production and the left over energy it has generaly goes to branch growth especialy if trained like yours are, the more sun the more growth. You will see the cola region stretching a bit but i wouldnt think it would need more then 1 or 2 more ties once it begins flowering. It ansower your question, its not going to take anything away from what the plant is trying to do in the flower stage, thats like saying tieing it down right now is slowing its growth now, which is definatly not true.

3. Cool thanks, I didn't want to be over zealous with the LST and wind up yielding LESS because I continued to tie down during the early flower.

4. Here are some pics I took this morning. I tied down one more branch from one of the big ones, the other one will need to be tied down in a couple days I'd say. They've both been topped before and those two tops it created are finally starting to take off. You can see a ton of growth on the inner nodes with some good branching taking place. I'll probably need to tie those down next week.

Anyway here are the pics.
    First plant
    1st - 071407.jpg

Second plant, one more tie down then the first
    2nd - 071407.jpg
    Closer view of the new growth on the inner nodes
    2nd - 071407-closer.jpg

And the Early Skunk that survived, still small, I hope when all is said and done I get at least a half oz out of this considering when I started it.
    3rd-071407.jpg

5. What's your location man?

6. I'm in CT. That being said, it's why I keep them in pots, last year I got my babies through the end of October because I moved them inside when it was too cold overnight.

7. Alright, we're getting too much fucking rain. I went and checked the girls this morning and while they seem alright, I'm starting to see some discoloration on some leaves. Also, on the new growth, you know just when the leaves are sprouting out of the tips of the branches, seems to be darker, almost looks like bud rot, without the bud. I'm gonna check out the cause of the discoloration later, but the other issue certainly looks like too much moisture. I hate not being able to control the conditions, I've only gotten one dose of ferts in them this season because of the constant fucking rain.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to dry out the soil? I'm going to start bringing them under cover every time I hear of rain in the forecast, what a pain in the ass.

8. The dark color seems to have gone from the leaves, now it looks like a cross between over wetness, thripes kind of/powdery mildew. The over wetness is obvious with the fact that the soil hasn't been dry for well over 2 weeks, goddamn rain! And the thripes/mildew because there were silver spots on the leaves, looks kinda like mildew but it doesn't wipe off. I treated it with 50% water/ 50% Flower Pharm mildew/pest/fungus organic spray.

I've decided I need to now take action for every rain event in the future, which will be AGAIN tomorrow. I feel this is going to really hurt my yield, what sub-optimal grow conditions we've had this season. When it's NOT raining it's friggin mid 90's and humid as hell. Calgon take me away!

The worst part about it is that I'm out of herb and have to resort to resin hits. Man I'm pissed.

Anyone got any ideas?

9. Well even though no one seems to have any thoughts, I see a bunch of people keep checking this thread out, so I'll update it. NO RAIN TODAY!:hello: I made sure that there was no standing water in the bottom of the pots and left them to dry out, although dry is something that I can only pray for these days.

They seem to be doing MUCH better today, the leaves still seem to be recovering but I saw some nice growth, which is promising. Going to need to tie down again. SWEET. I'll get more pics up in a few days.

The baby is still struggling a bit, I hope it's not dead.

10. Date \t Forecast \t Hi \tLo \t POP
    Wed Jul 18 \tT-Showers \t 81F \t 65F 60%
    Thu Jul 19 \tScattered T-Storms 84F \t65F \t 40%
    Fri Jul 20 \tT-Storms \t 81F 60F \t70%
    Sat Jul 21 \tFew Showers \t 80F \t 59F 30%
    Sun Jul 22 \tIsolated T-Storms 82F \t 61F \t 30%
    Mon Jul 23 \tT-Showers \t 83F \t 63F \t30%
    Tue Jul 24 \tScattered T-Storms 83F \t65F \t40%

The extended forecast going out 10 days is the same exact thing as this. Not one day where it's NOT going to rain.
    This is just ridiculous. It's raining right now and will rain at one point every day for the next week.

11. Ok, this is the deal. These plants were getting far too much rain and not enough sun. I had them in the same spot as last year's grow which went very well. With one difference, last year's grow was a normal grow, no LST. I finally realized that when they're growing tall they were getting plenty of sun once they reached about 2 feet. These plant however are in LST, which means they're small, and now not getting the full sun which I would like. The subsequent effect was they were in bad shape.

I moved them only 7-10 feet away and are now getting full beautiful sun, the soil is drying out and they're starting to perk up. This mistake on my part will most likely lessen my yield, which blooooooows.

I also believe that my second Skunk baby is basically dead. Before I moved them to the full sun spot they all started curling up and were covered in white and then dying leaves. Now the bigger ones are perking up, but I think the baby is fucked. At least I'm fairly positive that the bigger one's are girls being that every seed I've ever planted out of this batch has been female.

Here are the pics, lots more growth since I moved them, which was only like 2 days ago, I hope they'll make up for lost time, dry out, and then I can fert them. And no, it may look like fert burn, but I only ferted them once and then it rained for a week which flushed it all away.

1st - 072107.jpg
    2nd - 072107.jpg
    3rd-072107.jpg

12. i love outdoor grows and this is why, they grow really full and nice outside

13. That's the one thing I was noticing just now as I looked at the older pics and compared their growth. It filled in very nicely from before, I got some new growth to tie down on the leading edge of the pot, but the growth on the inside took off. I don't think I'm going to tie down that growth until it starts to flower a bit, maybe just pull them outward a bit to get some more light in the middle.

But thanks, it would be much better had it been in this spot from the beginning.

14. prettybuds, i must say that your grow op. story is very interesting. it sounds like you put a lot of work and effort into those beauties, good work. keep updateing because i am courious as to how they'll turn out. imagin how good the bud will be after all your hard work pays off :-D

15. I'll tell ya that this has been a new experience for me, first time doing LST, and first time with this rain problem. So we'll see what happenes. Thanks.

16. Just a quick update on this drama that is this year's grow. Weather has been cooperating. If we do get rain, I move them out of it. They're now getting plenty of sunshine, and have filled in nicely, had to tie down some more. My yield is going to be not nearly what I was hoping. The baby skunk seems stunted, no new growth, however it does move with the sun. Regardless, I'll get nothing from it, I'm just keeping it around to see what happens. I still haven't had a need to water, which pisses me off because I'd love to give them ferts. I see alternating nodes and pre-flowers which, in any other year would make me excited, but this year I would love another month of veg for some more growth. Oh well, such is life. Pics to come in a few days.

17. I'll get more pics up tomorrow. I had to tie down like another 3 or 4 branches today. I like how very low this grow is, however it's now really starting to fill in and expand. It's still not what I wanted, but next year will prove to be much better from what I've learned on my first LST this year. Still no signs of flower, which is great. Not too much stretching either just nice plump little bushes. The skunk is dead. Oh yeah, I STILL haven't needed to water them yet. Another few scorching days like today and I'm hoping to get some ferts in them. Fingers crossed.

I'll get pics tomorrow sometime.

peace

18. As promised, the pics. This is the first time I can get a side by side view with 2 weeks growth in between. I put them in a better sun-filled spot about 3 weeks ago, and you can see the progress from that move. The soil has dried out nicely, although I'm still a hot day or two away from needing to manually water them, at which time I'll bust out the ferts. I can't seem to re-upload the old pics from the earlier posts, so to get the true effect of the growth go back to the earlier post with pics to compare.

Lots of tieing down was done and some more is needed.
    here's 2 pics of the first plant:
    NOW
    1st - 080307.jpg
    1st - 080307-diffview.jpg
    2 weeks ago
    View attachment 76833

And the second
    NOW
    2nd - 080307.jpg
    2 weeks ago
    View attachment 76834

Honestly, the only thing I've done to them from then until now is move them out of the rain, and I took off the fan leaves that were damaged and blocking the inner growth. Looks like the bug issue and mildew issue has been worked out. Lemme know what you think!

19. awsome plants pretty buds!!!!!!!

20. It's a shame though, they could be much bushier if I had just gotten them in this light earlier.
    but thx.