Welcome to Grasscity Forums - Register now for FREE
Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute.
Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Create an Account

Does my flowering room have to be completely dark?

• Please log in to reply

Soomka

Soomka

• Registered Upgraded
  • 145 posts
Like the title says, my flowering room hasn't been getting totally dark, just enough so you can see a little..

IMO i don't think having a little light is doing any harm, so far.. Anyways, some advice would be great

skatestreet

skatestreet

• Registered Upgraded
  • 259 posts
Yes it needs to be totally dark, it can stress the plants.

ganjajosh88

ganjajosh88

• Registered Upgraded
  • 111 posts
not only does it need to be completely dark, but it also needs to be UNINTERUPTED dark.

Soomka

Soomka

• Registered Upgraded
  • 145 posts
What about the moon and stars, they provide some light when its dark to outside plants.

I also recall my dad telling me he just put an umbrella by one of his plants and the shade made it bud.

Does stress always turn them male?

Swa_Swa

Swa_Swa

Banned

• Banned by Moderators
  • 780 posts
It can make them hermi and can also slow down growth. The moon is basically the same as having a light leak.

chicken

chicken

REDNECK GROWER

• Old School
  • 14,068 posts

not only does it need to be completely dark, but it also needs to be UNINTERUPTED dark.

adhere to this guys words,,,, 100%,,, or youll wish youd had,,,,, growing inside is nothing like outside growing,,, so quit trying to compare the 2.....

COMPLETE, UNITERRUPTED DARKNESS.....:devious:

ganjajosh88

ganjajosh88

• Registered Upgraded
  • 111 posts
^^^^ what he said, nomatter what, you will never be able to completely replicate the moon, or sunlight for that matter.

There is nothing magic about the dark periods, but it is these peiords that the plant can switch from photosynthesis mode and make its sugars and get itself ready to grow/flower during the next day. Like sleep for the plant. When you interupped this "sleep" you interfear with the plants ability to grow/flower.

Think about it, its not like at 2 in the morning the sun flashes up for a few seconds filling the sky with light.

And no, lightning doest count.

What you are trying to do is "mimic" conditions. You have no stars or planets in your cab/growroom, so comparing the two is like aplles to oranges.

I assume( dont quote me on this ) that is is not so much the amount of darkness, more the light/dark patterns you get your plant accustom too. If you were sleeping in a dark room, and some asshole turned on the lights, you would wake up, come out of your R.E.M. sleep which is when your body produces chemicals to get you ready for the next day. Thus disturbing your natural pattern, and interfearing with your growth/health/cell productivity. The plant is no different.

GJ

paulczar

paulczar

• Registered Upgraded
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I wouldnt worry if your grow room wasnt 100% light proofed. I believe that more than anything it is the consistency of the light that is important. As long as there is no sudden interruption to that pattern, I think your plants will be nice and relaxed. I have mine in a walk in closet with sliding doors and there are slight light cracks and its fine.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users