Welcome to Grasscity Forums - Register now for FREE
Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute.
Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Create an Account

Homemade Clay Pipe

• Please log in to reply

thegentleman

thegentleman

• Registered Upgraded
  • 596 posts
Since it's the second to last day of school, (Don't worry, I'm over 18) the art teacher was giving away bags of clay. Me being the stoner I am, decided to make a nice pipe out of it. It's a small one, with a metal screen, and I realize I'll need some glaze to make the bowl fireproof. I'm going to ask about baking and glazing tomarrow, but i was wondering if anyone here has made a clay pipe, and how it worked out for you. Should I bake it with the screen in it? Do I need to glaze it to smoke out of it? Do I even need to bake it to smoke out of it? Do clay pipes get hot or give hot smoke?

Here's some pics:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Similar Topics: Homemade Clay Pipe     x

feenin_it

feenin_it

ill

• Registered Upgraded
  • 328 posts
When i was a sophomore in high school, i made a claw piece and my art teacher refused to fire it for me. so i went to the principal and told him it was a windchime and got permission to fire it, but my teacher was such a bitch about it. she told me she'd give me a D and i never had to go back to the class. that was cool :D

but anyway, i smoked out of it once but it got all soft around the mouthpiece and i ended up with some clay tasting lips. i'd recommend firing it definitely.

oh, and i wouldn't fire it with the screen in there. screens tend to get clogged and you'll be fucked when you need to change it.

thegentleman

thegentleman

• Registered Upgraded
  • 596 posts
I was thinking of firing it in my oven. I just need to know what temp, how long, ect. I'm asking her that tomarrow.

feenin_it

feenin_it

ill

• Registered Upgraded
  • 328 posts
i think i remember it being like over 850. i wanna say 1000+ but i'm not positive.

thegentleman

thegentleman

• Registered Upgraded
  • 596 posts

i think i remember it being like over 850. i wanna say 1000+ but i'm not positive.

Woah. My oven can't get that hot.

Last day's tomarrow, so I can't ask her.

Maybe take it to a professional firing place or something?

tymaster2001

tymaster2001

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
I think 1700F to 1800F is more like the firing temp for ceramics.

My Fax

My Fax

Just the Fax, Ma'am

• Old School
  • 4,080 posts
That's really cool. It'd be a lot of work to take it to get fired in a professional kiln, but that would make it so badass. Use different colors of glaze and make it all psychedelic or something.

NJ TOKER 420

NJ TOKER 420

Skankin it Easy...

• Registered Upgraded
  • 921 posts

I think 1700F to 1800F is more like the firing temp for ceramics.

Yea I think that close....its way beyond the capabilities of an oven

WhereThaBud

WhereThaBud

Registered Smoker

• Registered Upgraded
  • 121 posts
cant you just leave it out and it will be hard eventully?? like all the water or whatever will evaporate??

I Ballin I

I Ballin I

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
Once in art class I made a clay Bong. The teacher didnt care at all in fact she said it was the best out of all of the others lol
Ya but the first time using it I droped it and it broke in hafe =\

Backlash

Backlash

Cashbot 3000!

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Props man. Now I wanna make a pipe outta clay, it makes the piece your own.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users