Welcome to Grasscity Forums - Register now for FREE
Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute.
Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Create an Account

New possible Bong, need some tips

• Please log in to reply

K20aCTR

K20aCTR

• Registered Upgraded
  • 106 posts
Today at school I was walking in the halls and passed a class with all the beakers and graduated cylinders laying out on the tables. I quickly went in and somehow managed to get away with a 2 foot tall graduated cylinder. I would love to turn this thing into a crazy bong but I am not sure where to start. I have taken a few other small beakers and have practiced drilling them with a glass cutting drill bit but each time, the beaker breaks when I fully penetrate through the glass. Actually, its call Pyrex so I dont know if that changes much. Do you guys have any tips on how to convert my 2 foot tall graduated cylinder into a badass bong? I dont want to mess this one up!

carter840

carter840

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
Make sure you are using drill bits ment for glass. I use ones made by black and decker that say for glass or tile on them. also make sure that the peice you are cutting is always wet. It is best to do it underwater belive it of not. The water issue is most likely your problem. If i where you i would turn that thing into a staright tube Bong if you could drill in at a slight down angle that would help. Then you could just put a rubber fitting in there and a downstem and you would be good to go.

K20aCTR

K20aCTR

• Registered Upgraded
  • 106 posts
I would never have thought about putting it under water or getting it wet. The only problem then would be keep the drill dry. I might try just simply wetting or something similar. Do you know what kind of rubber fitting I should look for?

GreenScreen

GreenScreen

• Registered Upgraded
  • 309 posts
The water helps to keep it cool and keep from cracking the glass, you just have to do it really slow and it won't break. You can buy rubber grommets at lowes and home depot.

drtask

drtask

highDreamer

• Registered Upgraded
  • 661 posts
if you're worried about keeping the drill dry, poor water on the glass as you drill it. and go real slow. dont try to push through real fast, the glass can shatter pretty nicely if you do go to fast.

K20aCTR

K20aCTR

• Registered Upgraded
  • 106 posts
Between the water and the going fast, I am 100% sure those are my problems. I have been applying a good amount of pressure to the drill and going at one of the highest speeds without using water to keep it cool. I will give it another try this time while pouring water on it and going veryyyy slow. Does anyone else have a pictures of similiar projects like this that worked out? Here is a picture of the one I got today from my science class:

Posted Image

It has marks up to 1000 mL and then goes up past that some. it is about 36 inches tall. I hope this thing comes out nice, I have been wanting a nice bong for a while. Thanks for all the advice so far!

likewoah

likewoah

• Registered Upgraded
  • 466 posts
Maybe its just me, but you have no idea what the hell has been in there.

Mr. Thompson

Mr. Thompson

Time Traveler

• Registered Upgraded
  • 519 posts

Maybe its just me, but you have no idea what the hell has been in there.

Just stick it in the dishwasher or clean it out real well with dish detergant and water.

K20aCTR

K20aCTR

• Registered Upgraded
  • 106 posts
It was taken out of a physical science class room and the experiments we do in that class are strictly limited to pretty much boiling water and occasionally throwing salt and such in there. Ya of course I dont know for a fact that that is all thats been in there, but I am fairly sure there have never been any crazy chemicals in there. I could be wrong though. Hopefully a good cleaning will do away with most of the residue in there even though I dont see any with my eye.

dabongmaster

dabongmaster

clowns

• Registered Upgraded
  • 556 posts
i used to do the same thing only with plastic ones.i worried because i didn't know what chemicals had been in them.

K20aCTR

K20aCTR

• Registered Upgraded
  • 106 posts
Do you have any pictures of your finished product? Did it hit well?

Sk8brdZepp13

Sk8brdZepp13

• Registered Upgraded
  • 356 posts
dude! i just got one of those guys too...however its glass and it has a HUGE beaker bottom. Me and my buddy were thinkin of making a bong too out of it...were gonna get a glass bowl with a downstem and using a glass drill bit / water and a rubber grommet also!!! hahaaha

K20aCTR

K20aCTR

• Registered Upgraded
  • 106 posts
Haha thats crazy, exact same plans. Lets both post up pictures when we finish and see how each others turned out. I am scared to drill it after breaking another beaker, I really dont want to break this one.

Reggin

Reggin

Banned

• Banned by Moderators
  • 5,220 posts
Aww, I thought you were talking about one of the graduated cyilinders that has the bottom like a roor, where it slops out a lot more. Those are sick as hell. I might have to make one O_O

K20aCTR

K20aCTR

• Registered Upgraded
  • 106 posts
Ya I think I know what your talking about. The drill bit I have is 3/8 I believe so will I just have to buy a slide in that size? I am worried about keeping it airtight.

finch37465

finch37465

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
just my two cents but the one that has a beaker bottom sounds like its a volumetric flask which are ridiculously expensive. generally $200 for the cheapest. instead of taking that much money from your school and possibly breaking it when you drill it. just come up with the money yourself and buy a real bong.

K20aCTR

K20aCTR

• Registered Upgraded
  • 106 posts
I would have done that in the first place if I had money. Since I dont, I want to find an alternative.

K20aCTR

K20aCTR

• Registered Upgraded
  • 106 posts
Any more tips or advice I should have before I take the drill to this thing? I might try it out today. If I go slow and keep it cool with water it should go all well correct?

enom

enom

Smokin Dailyish

• Registered Upgraded
  • 905 posts
sell it on ebay, make some cash and spend that on a nice glass on glass piece.. mmmmm

enom

enom

Smokin Dailyish

• Registered Upgraded
  • 905 posts
oh and if your gonna drill it id just use some oil.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users