Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Passed A hair follicle drug test

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by growman944, May 29, 2007.

1. Hi everyone,

I have been reading quite a bit of this forum tonight, and I think I might be OK but I would like to share my situation and ask for your opinions. 

I am currently employed and due to my job I can get drug tested based on the work I am contracted out to do. I found out today that my current project ends mid September and there is a high chance I am being placed for a project at the end of September/early October with a client who always hair tests employees (even contractors). So I am looking at a potential hair test in about 50-55 days. 

Last night I took a hit off a joint. Literally, one hit. The last time I smoked was the first week in May (May 3rd to be exact) and that was exactly two hits. They weren't even big because, before then, I hadn't smoked in at least a year and half and I was being cautious to not over do it.

I am aware of the 30 days for every half inch of hair rule, and the general 90 day window that they test for. By the time mid September rolls around, that should mean I'm in the clear from my session in May. Correct me if I'm wrong?

So my only concern lies with the one hit I took last night. I am also aware that there are usually thresholds in these tests and that it's not typical to fail if any amount is detected. I am thinking that the one hit I took should not be enough to go beyond the threshold. Why else would a threshold exist to begin with? Can anyone tell me if there is anything to be worried about? Also, I believe LabCorp would be providing the test if that means anything.

2. #4642 eaglez21, Aug 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2014
    Hi everyone,

I have a hair test this coming Wednesday (6days) for an awesome job opportunity.

I haven't smoked thc in 60 days (but prior to that I was a heavy smoker, I live in CO) Also...may have accidentally ingested a little bit of blow/mdma 15 days ago (music festival).  

Wondering if I have any chance at passing...from what I've found it seems like the Gman method with the precision cleanse is my best shot....I may throw in the mac method a couple days before the test but read that its for light users so not sure if my use above qualifies.  

I am going to use the Gman method below:

FRIDAY: Bleach-->Precision Cleanse(more expensive toxic wash)-->Redye 
    MONDAY: Bleach-->Precision Cleanse(more expensive toxic wash)-->Re-dye
    Tuesday: TEST DAY: Morning: Baking Soda Blend -->Precision Cleanse-->Zydot Treatment - Afternoon: HAIR Test

Any opinions on if this is enough?

Would love any input....thanks guys!

3. #4643 Bannedfromforums, Aug 1, 2014
    Hard to say, cle.  From the research I've been able to do (who really knows how true or scientific what I've read?), hair growth rates are quite variable for both body and head hair.  But, body hair doesn't "hold onto drugs longer."  It grows more slowly and is replaced less frequently than head hair, so the "record" goes back further.

But if he's really been clean for eight months, maybe he's got a good chance.  Too many unknown variables to say one way or another. If you read through this thread - super long glorious thread - it seems that light users or people who have quit a while ago seem to be passing.

4. #4644 youcantstopthisplayah, Aug 1, 2014

The 90 days comes from the assumption that you have 1.5 inches of hair therefore 0.5in/mo x 3 mo = 1.5 inches in 90 days. They claim they need 1.5 inches of your hair for a valid sample, but they (Psychemedics lab) accepted my hair at slightly under 1 inch. In my case, that gives them a 60-day window at best. It's my understanding (from reading forums like this) that any hair on your head that was there around the time you were actively smoking could contain some history and test positive.

So if you have the option to do so, you should cut your hair as short as tolerable close to test time (maybe 1 to 1.5 inches) to be safe. Otherwise it sounds like your situation is good. You might try measuring your hair today and wait a month, measure again to get an accurate idea of how quickly your hair grows, then do a little math to ensure you know a good hair length to test with. My hair grows fast (1 inch per month) so I'm pretty sure they only got about 30 days of history in my case. Hope so.

5. Thanks for the info and the luck! He really has been clean for over eight months, now, so I'm holding onto to hope! He goes to NA meetings 3-4 times a week and he's become a probate member of the Association of Recovering Motorcyclists - he's not even allowed to drink a beer to remain in the independent group. I did read that THC metabolite comes back negative if under 0.1pg, but I don't know if the metabolite fades at all....doesn't seem like it. It sounds like the hair has to completely replenish...I hope it has!

6. Thanks. I read through a lot of the thread, but it doesn't really make me feel one way or the other as to if he's going to pass. It will be terrible if he fails - he's worked so hard to change! I don't know what to consider him before quitting....he was a moderate user I guess. I just hope his body hair grows quickly and he passes.

Quest Diagnostic's own FAQ doc states that hair from other body parts hasn't been studied as extensively as hair from the head and that the window isn't as precisely know (p. 4, I think).

Quest Diagnostic's own FAQ doc states that hair from other body parts hasn't been studied as extensively as hair from the head and that the window isn't as precisely know (p. 4, I think).

Eureka! Yours is the story I've been looking for, as I'm in the same exact situation as you. Admittedly, I had hoped to find this sort of story - with a confirmed happy ending and instructions for what made it so - much earlier in the thread. Pulling for you, bro!

Please report back on what the collector thought of the fully shaved body (sans pits). I'm going the same route.

As far as "cleansing" steps, after - like many others - reading this forum for hours on end, and then stopping into a beauty school yesterday, here's what I'm doing. If anyone sees anything that's way off the mark, by all means, please let me know.

(Expecting test next Tuesday, BTW. This all pertains to my arm pits, as it - and my brows and lashes - is the only hair I intend to have when tested.)

- Thurs before expected test (last night): Tide original (to open the hair); bleach (40 volume) - applied 3x and scrubbed for several minutes each time; Tide again (did this while showering, rather than just keeping the pits closed while standing in the bathroom, as I did the first time); a dab of peroxide for a couple of minutes; clean/clear astringent; t-gel.

Plan to do this - barring any "No! You can't do that and here's why" responses - the next several days. I guess I won't do the bleach daily, but will do it a time or two more.

Re: bleach, it didn't change my hair color. Does that matter (i.e., is it still causing the necessary destruction even w/o changing color)? If it does eventually change color, I will dye my hair. I will also incorporate a hair restoration product the beauty school kindly gave me. Also will get zydot if I can locate it before the test.

Thanks!

9. #4649 Bannedfromforums, Aug 1, 2014
    HTbroughtmehere:
    Problem I've seen with the Macujo and similar methods is that it just seems like "it works" for light users, or infrequent ones, who would probably pass or be close to passing, anyway.  Without reading through each story, and tallying up the results by spreadsheet to compile some statistics, it's tough to say if/how/how much/etc. makes you pass a HFT.

The information on the website that sells Hair Razor seems to make sense, but it could all be B.S.  

The main reasons I'm not doing the Macujo method:
    - Time is a major constriant.  I found I have to take a hair test Tuesday, and I'm leaving for the test place in under an hour - less than four days!  I have a full time professional job as an engineer that I spend 50+ hours per week doing, so I can't go through hours and hours of complicated treatments and/or stay up all night.  I'm trying to get a new job, not lose my current one until I'm kosher with the background/drug stuff.
    - I have the funds to purchase hair razor.  The website contains lots of data, even a testimonial of a failed HFT where the guy showed significantly lowered levels of metabolites after using hair razor.  It could all be B.S. but I don't see how it's any worse than some combinations of bleech/dye/tide/vinegar/baking soda/etc.
    - They give you a consultation.
    - How the hell am I going to put a shower cap on my arm pits?  :confused:

Lesson learned:  Until I start my own business, I'll need to not smoke grass if I want to get and hold a professional job.  If I'm not enrolled in the random test program at the new job (assuming I get it), then...  :bongin:

Thanks for pulling for me!  I will be sure to post my results as soon as I learn of them.

10. This'll be a bitch for girls to do. My hair is mid way down my back so idk if this would work for me. Good info tho! Thanks man. 

Hey dude try cutting your hair just under 1 1/2" and let it grow. Like maybe 1 1/4 instead ya know? That way you wont have to worry about the hair closer to the root. Anyway good luck bro. I hope you get that job! :hello:

So here is the link to the forum post I read that indicated axillary hair has a lower incorporation rate for THC metabolites than head hair. Again, this is just some guy on the internet so to paraphrase my previous comment which you kindly highlighted in bold, it is up to you to do your own research and decide what you want to believe. Hence my prior use of the word "supposedly"...

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/medical-science/dr-bill-hair-test-arm-pit-660638.html#post3119477

Also here are a couple of scientific studies that influenced my comment that THC metabolites are more challenging to find in hair than other substances:

http://www.cal-tox.org/Downloads/proceedings/0307/smealpresentation.pdf
    http://content.lib.utah.edu/cdm/ref/collection/etd2/id/2032

Psychemedics website (see comment near the bottom "Without the proper test methods and technology, marijuana poses some unique challenges and is difficult to test in hair.")  http://www.psychemedics.com/advantages-over-other-hair/

Again, you be the judge, I am just trying to share information I read when was studying for my test. Good luck and I hope you pass yours!

13. #4653 jlogic, Aug 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2014
    Ok...so heres my update.
    After getting absolutely 0 advice on this board I decided to just go take the hair test...let the chips fall where they may. You can read my info above. They took my left armpit hair (almost all of it). I didnt do any mac method, and sure as hell wasnt bleaching all my body hair. Emailed the job this morning as I havent heard from them, and took the hft on july 21. They emailed back and said their next orientation is the second week in august and they are excited to have me aboard. So the moral of the story is...if you have only smoked a handful of times in the last several months, you dont need any special chemical methods. Take it for what its worth. Hope that helps others more than others helped me on here.
    ::cheers::

14. Youcantstop -

Wasnt hating; sorry if you took it that way. When I read your post, I had just read the faq doc and wanted to add the tester's own admission of your point.

Congrats! What kind of user were you before you stopped to pass a urine test? I think you were saying you clean for about 60 days prior to the hair follicle test and they took you armpit hair and you passed, right? I'm asking because my husband has been clean for almost 8-1/2 months (about 8 months and 2 weeks) and was offered a job if he passed a hft. He had zero prep time, as he had to go that day. I suppose he was a heavy smoker prior to getting clean - 2 or so times a day almost every day. He shaves his head already, so they took his armpit hair. I've been freaking out waiting on these results, but if you're saying what I think you're saying then maybe he'll pass! He really needs this job and I would hate for his past to mess this up! He's trying to hard to change! Some of the other people on here have given me helpful information, but it's still up in the air! I can't wait until he hears something. I told him that if he doesn't pass he needs to go in there and explain his situation to the employer because I think he might be able to win them over with his story, but I might just be naive! LOL

16. Update:

My HFT experience was easy breezy; I WAY overkilled the body shaving thing...

I was assigned to a walk in clinic that sends off to Quest Diagnostics. I got there about 15 minutes before closing time, so the girls working there were ready to get out.  I simply asked they take armpit hair, and they agreed without any questions like "why don't you have hair elsewhere, etc."  I still told them the triathlon story but it made for some BS'n and nothing more.  She said she was glad I showed up prepared:  "you know, Matt, lots of people show up here unprepared, NO hair to sample, whatsoever!"  I laughed a little - no a lot - inside at that remark. The opposite is true, they're VERY prepared!

Turns out, I didn't have to buzz cut my butt crack (TMI?).  Freaked out for nothing!

So we'll see... I treated the hell out of my pit hair with hair razor - 20 treatments even though I was consulted to do 15 - and was able to borrow a friend's precision cleanse, which I used in the shower (following all directions except the BS distilled water bit) as a freebie or whatever.  Said friend keeps it around for a "just in case" type deal so it hadn't even been opened yet.

17. Good references, youcantstopthisplayah
    One of them was from back in 1996, when this was all getting started, and it seems mary jane has always been a topic of interest to folks figuring out how to bust us "drug abusers."

I'm somewhat thankful those narcs at psychemedics won't be looking at my sample, though...

18. Before my 60 days clean I smoked about 4 or 5 times....couple hits each time as it didn't take Mich to get me where I wanted to be. Before the urine test I had on april 9 (random at work with 0 prep time..just kind of "hr wants to see you right away") I smoked maybe once a week, and several times every other weekend. I was honestly surprised I passed the urine test...happy, but surprised. If hes been clean for 8 months it shouldn't be an issue at all. Everything ive read says that anything over the 3 month mark in hair is more unstable to test. I was clean 60 days, although I wasnt a heavy smoker, I still imbibed...and I passed without any crazy treatments or anything. If I was a betting man, id bet hes good to go.

No it's okay, I probably took that wrong. And I originally posted some marginal info with no references, I was being lazy. The body hair is a grey area. I think everyone needs to educate themselves as much as possible to have the best chance at good results. This is a tough spot to be in, especially if you were surprised by hair test when you thought it was going to be urine. That's what happened to me. I was clean for 2 weeks when I got the interview, it took them another month and a half of interviews, background checks and calling my references before they gave me the offer. I figured no problem, I'm clean, so I accepted. That's when they sent me the packet. My jaw dropped when I saw the word "hair" with the drug test info!

My personal strategy was to trim back all body hair to less than 1/2" because I felt that body hair would be risky, since I was a daily smoker prior to stopping. I cut my head hair back to just under an inch 2 days before my test, I asked for the #7 guard at the barber. 60 days clean and my hair grows really fast (1"/month). I was actually hoping to force the piss test by cutting my hair short, but the guy at the clinic as not fazed by the shortness, and said I had the choice for him to collect from my head or shave my leg. I did not count on them being able to shave you for a sample! He was more worried about messing up my haircut (....eh?), which is why he offered that, but I felt I had a much better chance with the head hair, since I believe I cut off all the history already. It's been two weeks since I provided the sample and I still haven't heard back. The job started already and no one has come to yank me out of my cubicle yet. I admit I'm still a little worried, buy my friend in HR (at another company) said there's no way they would have started me until they confirm a negative test result. And I know my boss isn't going to congratulate me on passing, so I guess silence is golden!

Good luck to you and all who dwell in the darkness of this horrible situation. Life can throw you crazy stuff sometimes!

20. Just an update! He passed! Thanks for the info! Apparently, if you are clean for eight months, that's long enough for your armpit hair!