Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Marijuana and sleep

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by firstgrow, May 3, 2007.

1. I've been under the impression that herb has been helping me sleep for a while, but lately it does the opposite. I'll have a few hits here and there at about 6pm, then find myself getting to the stage where it's like 'alright, one more hit and that will put me to sleep'. But it made me stay up for longer than I usually would, and also would not under any circumstances let me wake up. I missed 4/5 days of work this week. :confused:

2. [quote name='"JayDev"']I've been under the impression that herb has been helping me sleep for a while, but lately it does the opposite. I'll have a few hits here and there at about 6pm, then find myself getting to the stage where it's like 'alright, one more hit and that will put me to sleep'. But it made me stay up for longer than I usually would, and also would not under any circumstances let me wake up. I missed 4/5 days of work this week. :confused:[/quote]

How aren't you fired lol my boss would be pisssssssssssed.

3. I'm an admin at a community center, and there's usually 2 other people doing the same role as me, so it's not crucial I'm always there, haha. But to be honest, I don't even know if I still have the job or not. I didn't even call to say I was sick. :confused:

4. [quote name='"JayDev"']

I'm an admin at a community center, and there's usually 2 other people doing the same role as me, so it's not crucial I'm always there, haha. But to be honest, I don't even know if I still have the job or not. I didn't even call to say I was sick. :confused:[/quote]

Hahahaha you're crazy man.

5. Listen to your body. If you need more water, drink it. If you need less calories, eat less. If MJ is disrupting your sleep, change your habits and see what happens...I've been there and it's all about quietly listening to your physiology

• Like Like x 1
  6. Depends on the state of the cannabis. If you decarboxylate first it will be stony in a dose dependent manner. The more area you treat and the stronger the treatment the greater the chance of getting high. If it is raw semi fresh material there is less chance of intoxication but you still get pain relief. I feel it in the arthritis in my hands when I'm squeezing the tincture out of the leaf before making hash oil from the tincture. For me except for unusual circumstances I only need to treat pain at bedtime and I use the intoxication as part of the medicine instead of fighting to stay away from it. My sleep disorder makes me easy to wake up so I treat pain to keep it from contributing to the problem. Still have to strap on the CPAP machine and treat the sleep disorder independently. For me the MJ does not cure the problem it is just an aid to treatment.

7. in my experience, a sativa strain causes lots of mental activity and it's hard to sleep. I use Indica strains to help me sleep when I need it. It's more of a body high--relaxing!

8. I ask because my father in law takes a lot of morphine for diabetic neuropathy and it makes me cringe... He has afraid of the intoxication from MJ but more so because of stigma than anything else. I mean, morphine doesn't intoxicate? Cmoooon. If we could ease him in with topical application that doesn't blow his kind, he might begin to get it

9. Unless you're 14, no people don't smoke leaves dude:(

10. I love going to sleep after getting burnt out, but as for smoking right before I go to sleep I consider that a waste.

I have serious trouble sleeping sometimes, and I've resorted to knocking myself out with cold and sinus meds, or anything else with "drowsiness" listed as a side effect.

11. I can't answer clearly weather the Cannabis is helping my neuropathy or the high doses of fish oil I take are what is helping something is and it is getting better. Our bodies make big piles of good stuff from the DHA and EPA in fish oil including 2/3 of the currently known endocannabinoids. That and the Dr's are pointing fingers back and forth as to whether it is diabetic neuropathy or pinched nerves in the lumbar region of my back. If your dad wont use cannabis buy him some of the best fish oil you can find based on the amount of EPA and DHA it contains and see if he will use that. I keep my dose between 5 and 6 grams daily but even 1 or 2 will help and it could help improve the diabetes also if he is not insulin dependent yet.

You can sleep easier knowing your feeding him some of the best endocannabinoids available and it will do him no end of good.

12. Thank you :)

13. Wow I've never thought of using it this way. I need to try this. Hopefully I can get some relief!

14. So I've had light insomnia for as long as I can remember. Sometimes I go weeks where I can only manage to get a few hours of sleep a night, and during the times when I actually do get "good" sleep, it's usually only 6 hours and even then, I typically wake up a few times during the night. Getting a restful nights sleep is exceedingly rare for me.

Anyway, I while ago I had taken approx 1.5oz of trim and popcorn buds and made a pound of butter in a slow cooker. I made some cookies with the butter (which is waaaaay too strong imo lol) and knocked me on my ass so much so, that I didn't even like using them to get sauced. I did start using them (and butter) to try it as a sleep aid and to my surprise, every single time I've eaten some before bed I get the best sleep of my life. I wake up completely rested and recharged and ready to go.

It's been a life saver, to be honest. Smoking normally doesn't knock me out like that, but edibles are amazing (for anyone else that has sleeping problems)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Will try edibles for exact same thing. Cant remember last good sleep. Would prefer not to smoke as am asthmatic

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

16. I suffer insomnia too. Is blue widow good for sleep... I have two outdoors now hopefully in flower.....

Sent from my XT1562 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

17. I don't know if it really helps me sleep "better". It does keep me from waking nightmares and patrolling the house at night because of the same. It's still just about as hard to fall asleep, and waking up is somewhat more difficult.

I'm using hybrids though, so I'm sure if I switched to a good indica with more sedative effects; it might work better.

18. Actually, smoking weed has been shown to help alleviate the symptoms of sleep apnea. I was considering trying to petition for apnea as a qualifying condition before I moved.

When I was initially diagnosed in a sleep study I fell asleep in less than 2 minutes, had 31 events per hour lasting on average 45 seconds each, and my blood oxygen dropped to 60% (heart failure range). That means that I STOP BREATHING for 45 seconds 31 times an hour.

Of course, I HAVE lost 50 lbs (and 6 inches off of my waist) since then, but I knew that a little puff always helps me sleep better.

My favorite is getting up at like 3 or 4am, smoking a bowl, then going back to sleep. When I do that I always wake up feeling really damn good.

19. I always eat a 1/2 of a brownie about 45 mins before bed, sleep like baby....