Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Marijuana and sleep

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by firstgrow, May 3, 2007.

1. I never heard of this before. Can you post up your source for this.

2. gotta smoke a heavy indica and you should be right out and don't go on the computer 2 hours before bed or else it could stimulate your mind too much. I would recommend a heavy indica and a fairy tale book

3. I just started back at it after a 17 year break. That first bowl made me mourn the time lost and all the sleepless nights when I could have been floating off to sleep. Sleep comes easy now...you bet.:hello:

4. Indica ftw

5. Helps me sleep alright.

My body seems to naturally want to fall asleep at 5-6am and wake up at 1-2pm. When I'm able to do that I'm great. But that's not the hours the world has so I have to adapt. I used to lay in bed for hours at a time before I would fall asleep, it would get to the point you have to stop trying to fall asleep and figure out if it would be better just to stay awake instead of trying to get up in an hour or two.

Since I started smoking I haven't had that problem, I fall right to sleep and have vivid dreams I remember far more often than I used to. It also helps with my restless leg syndrome or whatever you want to call it.

6. I have mild mild insomnia usually I can't sleep once or twice a week... I have found vaporizing 2-3 time a week regardless of the time of day alleviates all my problems and gives me pleasant vivid dreams whereas when I sleep when I have not consumed I'm out like a light with no dreams whatsoever... So I'm not a doctor but does that mean I am experiencing rem sleep now where I wasn't before? I feel much better in the morning when I've had dreams than in a morning where I had no dreams

7. I find that marijuana, for me, is invaluable to help me sleep. I have a lot of trouble falling to sleep sober, and even if I do fall to sleep sober it is a short, restless sleep, and I usually feel like shit when I wake up... either with a headache or bodyaches. Marijuana on the other hand can give me a good night's sleep and allow me to wake up crisp and refreshed.

8. when i fall asleep after the peak of marijuana i feel so good the next morning...its fantastic, really.

9. How long it takes me to get to sleep:

Without Maruijuana: 2+ Hours
    With Maruijuana: 10-20 minutes

10. If you smoke sativa it wont help ya sleep but if its indica it does.

i know as i smoke indica when i cant sleep it relaxes my body and 10 mins later i am asleep i wake up feeling just as relaxed as when i toked up

11. I think it is just like anything else anybody takes/uses. Everyone is effected differently. For me, I only smoke before I go to sleep. I suffer from occasional sleep paralysis. It doesn't happen all the time, but I've noticed that it NEVER happens when I smoke before sleep. If I don't smoke before sleep, I lay there in the bed worrying that I may experience the paralysis that night and it takes me a long time to fall asleep. No one can tell me that it's not good for sleep, because it is for me, I know, I've lived it and experienced it

12. I've been smoking pot for 5 years and I just realized to NOT smoke weed before you go to bed. It is totally pointless. I used to think it relaxed me and made me sleep better, but all smoking before sleep actually does is keep me up.

( and the weed Ive been smokin lately is Purple Kush, which is indica )

13. MJ and alcohol do the same thing for me as far as sleep, my body feels rested by my mind doesn't. I personally feel like ive had less REM sleep while under the influence of either one of those drugs. Im not saying that IS what is happening, but it sure does feel that way.

14. While MJ does affect each person differently, MMJ IS recommended for insomnia by pretty much every recommending doctor that I've come across.

15. I can't sleep if i haven't smoked that day. Like if I take a tolerance break, I know i will spend at least the first 3 nights awake, maybe get 3 hours of sleep.

16. Tell me something those of you who claim that it does not help sleep what mj are you taking?

sativa? indica? a sative / indica mix?

there are 1000,s of different types of marijuana out there all have different effects on a person.

has anyone ever felt tired or sleepy after having pure sativa bud?
    have any of you felt tired after having pure indica?

sativa = head high
    indica =body stone = relax & sleep

i have both sativa and indica i use sativa by day indica by night and i sleep well at night. if i was too not smoke indica before bed i would not sleep because my mind is very active all the time so i cant switch off when i go to bed with racing thoughts but as soon as i take a couple of hits from the indica then my thoughts calm down i do not feel so tense i relax and then i sleep.

if i was to do the same with sative then no i would never sleep.

17. Weed does WONDERS helping me sleep. My anxiety is at it's worse at night and sometimes I can not, for the love of god, stop thinking about anything and everything when I close my eyes. When this happens, I smoke a bowl and watch a movie and usually within a half hour I am asleep.

18. I have always had problems getting to sleep since I was young. When I first started blazing it used to make me so tired afterwards and I could get to sleep so easily. As my tolerance built-up I can smoke alot and still stay awake. I also realized smoking before I sleep was actually not benefitting me in the long-run. I used to wake up in the morning with a 'stone-over' where your mind feels very cloudy, extreme lack of motivation, tiredness, groggy and unsociable. I found it very difficult to focus the next day and would frequently gaze at nothing for a long time like a zombie. Its difficult because without bud I cannot get to sleep unless I stay up very late, then end up getting less sleep..

19. I'm medically prescribed marijuana specifically for insomnia. It helps to relax my muscles after a long day, take my mind off the small stupid things I shouldn't even be wasting my time thinking about, and just get a good nights sleep.

20. glad to see im not the only one who thinks too much, specially before going to sleep, resulting in no sleep.

I also find the MJ helps a lot but the type is important.

for me, as much as I hate reggos they always knock me out.

Crystal is the strain that knocks me out the best, its supposed to be indica/sativa mix but mine is sativa dominant, and luckily somehow always purple for me :) . I know indica is supposed to be the bedtime bud but this stuff really puts me out.

I save my bubblegum and NL (somehow, being mostly indica) for day time tokes, as they always make me feel like I just drank a redbull.