Dreaming while high

Discussion in 'General' started by spacecowboy, Mar 27, 2007.

1. [FONT=&quot][/FONT]Well the first thread got deleted (apparently I posted it in the wrong forum lol) but some of you expressed interest in the topic so I guess I'll repost... with a little bit that I've learned....

Summary
    Do you dream while you're high? Some do no matter how much they smoke but many others (like me) simply don't dream if they smoke before bed. If you're one of these people, have you noticed any difference in the dreams you have while sober? This phenomenon could be related to Cannabis Psychosis.

Background

The cause of Cannabis Psychosis, a state of psychosis (loss of touch with reality) induced by copious amounts of marijuana, has been a mystery for some time. Not much is known about what causes this mental disorder due to Marijuana's illegality barring any attempt to study it. But that doesn't stop people from performing small scale-studies and theorizing the cause of Cannabis Psychosis.

There isn't a lot known about this condition. But yet, a number of people believe that it is a smoker's loss of R.E.M sleep (dreaming) leading to abnormalities in thought process that leads to this condition. Keep in mind, this is theory.

Opinions

Personally, I do not dream if I have smoked any amount of marijuana within 3 hours of when I have fallen asleep. The dreams I do have are very vivid and intense. But this is certainly not the case for everyone. Several smokers that I know dream no matter how much pot they smoke. As I'm sure is the case for many of you.

Others believe that while they are high, they do, in fact, dream, but they simply don't remember it (characteristic to losing short term memory while stoned). This is also a noteworthy argument.

But some believe that dreaming is random nonsense and has no effect on waking consiousness. I disagree. If you are not dreaming while you are asleep, when are you dreaming?

Here is a description of "Psychosis" found on a psychology forum. Keep in mind the characteristics of Cannabis Psychosis.

"Put simply psychosis is experiencing the R.E.M state (dream state) whilst awake.

When we are asleep we dream, and as far as our brain is concerned the content of our dreams is as real as our waking 'reality'. That's why dreams are designed to be forgotten, so we don't confuse our dreams with reality. On average we dream for 2 hours a night (depressed people dream up to 6 hours), yet most people who remember their dreams only remember a few minutes.

Many people have had the experience of not knowing if an event, or conversation happened in reality, or in a dream. Or of waking up and still feeling like they are in the dream, for a few moments or longer.

With psychosis that dream state continues into the waking state and the two are indistinguishabale to the psychotic person - hence the hallucinations, hearing voices, seeing things etc. and believing they are real
    ."

2. When I smoke cannabis, I rarely remember or never remember my dreams.. I know I am experiencing REM sleep, well I hope so but when I take a tollerence break I usually get very vivid dreams/lucid which are fun and missed when smoking.

3. Last time I fell asleep stoned (Saturday night), I remembered my dream. It was very vivid, like all of my dreams.

4. I just smoked..... ima go try to remember a dream. post tomorrow during school.

5. Bump'ed for awesomeness

and the fact that I dont dream if I go to sleep high :(

6. if you want to remember your dream, try staying still when you wake up from your dream. if you move or some shit you will forget.

7. I went through a stage of not remembering dreams. Now i remember dreams all the time..

Personally I believe the brain works harder to send signals due to a tacky layer over the brain from smoking cannabis (like the pasties).. maybe over time you begin to develop stronger signals to overcome the pasted brain. Mine did..

Proper definition of psychosis would make one believe that low dosage of pot before bed will fix up a psychosis patient.

Don't you think?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. I smoke pot once or twice a week, usually in the morning or in the afternoon. Lately, on the days that I smoke, I've been having dreams about a particular girl. This happened five times in a row, always on the day that I got high. What does it mean? Could I be dreaming about this person more than I realize and could pot make my dreams more realistic and make me remember them? I don't think I have feelings for her but I'm starting to question that because of these dreams.

9. smoke a cigarette right before bed and see what happens. its fucking nuts lol

10. """""Put simply psychosis is experiencing the R.E.M state (dream state) whilst awake"""""

about right, i was dehydrated and malnourished real bad many years ago and i wound up in a psychosis that took a few days to snap out of. I was also smoking a lot. Really throws you for a loop when reality starts blending with the induced hallucinations.

As for dreaming, i smoke every night before bed... only one or two hits then thats it. I remember 95% of my dreams, and many of them are on the lucid level and beyond. But then again I meditate and practice induced out of body type things, so im used to the state of mind.

11. even better, get up an little early, smoke a cig, and go back to bed.... its almost a guaranteed lucid dream like you've never had if you go into it right.