Welcome to Grasscity Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Dreaming while high

• Please log in to reply

spacecowboy

spacecowboy

Bye For Life

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
[FONT="][/FONT]Well the first thread got deleted (apparently I posted it in the wrong forum lol) but some of you expressed interest in the topic so I guess I'll repost... with a little bit that I've learned....

Summary

Do you dream while you're high? Some do no matter how much they smoke but many others (like me) simply don't dream if they smoke before bed. If you're one of these people, have you noticed any difference in the dreams you have while sober? This phenomenon could be related to Cannabis Psychosis.

Background

The cause of Cannabis Psychosis, a state of psychosis (loss of touch with reality) induced by copious amounts of marijuana, has been a mystery for some time. Not much is known about what causes this mental disorder due to Marijuana's illegality barring any attempt to study it. But that doesn't stop people from performing small scale-studies and theorizing the cause of Cannabis Psychosis.

There isn't a lot known about this condition. But yet, a number of people believe that it is a smoker's loss of R.E.M sleep (dreaming) leading to abnormalities in thought process that leads to this condition. Keep in mind, this is theory.

Opinions

Personally, I do not dream if I have smoked any amount of marijuana within 3 hours of when I have fallen asleep. The dreams I do have are very vivid and intense. But this is certainly not the case for everyone. Several smokers that I know dream no matter how much pot they smoke. As I'm sure is the case for many of you.

Others believe that while they are high, they do, in fact, dream, but they simply don't remember it (characteristic to losing short term memory while stoned). This is also a noteworthy argument.

But some believe that dreaming is random nonsense and has no effect on waking consiousness. I disagree. If you are not dreaming while you are asleep, when are you dreaming?

Here is a description of "Psychosis" found on a psychology forum. Keep in mind the characteristics of Cannabis Psychosis.

"Put simply psychosis is experiencing the R.E.M state (dream state) whilst awake.

When we are asleep we dream, and as far as our brain is concerned the content of our dreams is as real as our waking 'reality'. That's why dreams are designed to be forgotten, so we don't confuse our dreams with reality. On average we dream for 2 hours a night (depressed people dream up to 6 hours), yet most people who remember their dreams only remember a few minutes.

Many people have had the experience of not knowing if an event, or conversation happened in reality, or in a dream. Or of waking up and still feeling like they are in the dream, for a few moments or longer.

With psychosis that dream state continues into the waking state and the two are indistinguishabale to the psychotic person - hence the hallucinations, hearing voices, seeing things etc. and believing they are real
."