Does LST really increase yeild?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by talos4, Mar 18, 2007.

1. Can/should you LST a lowryder? :confused:

2. I wouldn't start LST'ing until you get them in their final pots, other wise it's gonna be a bitch re-doing it all and getting it right when you finally get them in their pots, i normally put my plants into their permanent pots at about 5-9 inches tall, then i use screws around the pot and twine string to pull them down, i'll keep in veg until it's about the same size as the pot itself, then i'll put into flowering and occasionally tie down more branches, i've had great yields with this, i've never done 2 identical clones or 2 of the same seeds to see which one produced more, there's too many variables to say which gets you more yield but if you're using an HPS to flower you probably only have one light source so LST is the best to make sure your whole plant is getting light and not just the top.

3. Same amount of time, SCROG takes a little longer, but I believe the yield of bigger more dense buds offset the extra couple of weeks in veg. The fastest growing method is SOG, lots of plants with single top cola, usually used in conjuction with clones.

4. I wonder what the different yeild:time ratios are for each method.. which one is "best"

I might do some tests, I've got 5 plants LST'd right now, i'll try 4 plants scrog next time and maybe 16 plants SOG after that?

all same strain, all same nutes..

or maybe i'll just go scrog the whole time :p,

5. nice info everybody! One more thing though whats the time difference between a single cola and using lst? a couple of weeks? months?

6. can you lst lowryder?

7. Yes to answer everyones question, LST does indeed increase yield...
    Cannabis plants are supposed to grow symmetrically up towards the light. When you bend the stalk of the plant and tie it down so that it is horizontal, the plant still tries to use its energy towards sending nutrients upwards rather than all of its energy to the top of the shoots. This makes new bud spots appear on the horizontal stems of the plant in LST which in turn increases yield.:hello:

8. I've never grown and im deciding to LST or not to LST. But if the reason LST increases yeild is more light penetration, couldn't you just angle the lights into the plant? It wouldn't be AS effective, but it was also be alot less work

9. if I wanted to LST and was going to home depot wat would i ask for?

10. thx hip hop, will be going to get now. My plants are 3 weeks old in their final 3 gallon pots is it too early/late to start, perfect time?

11. You can start anytime, your golden. I just wouldn't start any serious training in flowering. Let us know how it goes!!

12. No. First, LST doesn't need to be a lot of work. Drill holes all around the lip of your pot to serve as anchor points, then use pipe cleaners to hold down your plant -- that way it's very easy to pull down a branch and also to re-adjust continually throughout the grow.

LST gives you more light penetration and more light intensity to more of the plant. By tying down the branches not only are you opening up the plant to let light into the lower levels, you are flattening the plant so that the distance from the light to what would have been the top of the plant is the same as the distance to what would have been the bottom of the plant. Light intensity drops off with the inverse square of the distance -- so if the top of your plant is 1 foot from the light and the bottom is 2 feet from the light then the bottom is getting only one-fourth the light intensity as the top. With LST the whole plant can be the same close distance, delivering more light intensity to more of the plant.

So, more of the plant gets light and more of the light that the plant gets is of highest intensity.

13. This^^

Even canopy, height restrictions, increased yield...do it, you wont be disappointed bro.

14. Let me answer all the basic questions of LST with the video on youtube called getting scroggy. His plant is 100+days veg with 600w+ light atleast and its beautiful and he answers alota questions and gives tips.

15. here is a picture of my lst pure power notice how all of the tops are about the same hight,this allows me to have the light at minimum distance to the plant.this allows more light to the branches and thus leads to more yield because your light intensity is not reduced as much as having one single cola..if you were to have just one main cola you can only lower the light to the hight of that one cola,you then loose alot of light threw distance and it does not penetrate the canopy as well..

p.s if you are using a 5gal homer bucket from hd get 10lb picture hanger hooks(.75c) they will hook right under the lip of the bucket where the handle is attached

Attached Files:

16. here is a picture of the picture hangers

Attached Files:

17. Yeah I've LST'd all of my grows. And I top my plants along with LST'ing I've never been let down by it. Like everyone else said, it opens the canopy to let more light to lower branches. It's essentially like a scrog. You get more top buds in the end and inscrease your yield. Just with lst you don't have to deal with not being able to move your pots because of the scrog screen.

18. When i lst i let the plant grow around the rim of the bucket and all the branches go crazy...lst deffinitly increases yeild..by lsting your creating multiple tops you can get a nice even canopy. ...Yes it will increase yeild..every grow ive done ive left a couple to grow naturaly and every time i regret it. ..I fim at five sets of fans..