Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Okay to smoke w/ halter monitor?

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by ssmokin69, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Hey guys, was just wondering if it would be safe to smoke wearing a halter monitor or if it would affect the results?

My heart has been palpitating and I have to wear one for 24 hours.. Just wondering if smoking would change the results.

2. doesnt your heart beat faster when your high? if so then dont smoke.

3. Yeah thats what I was thinking.. Does it beat faster for sure or do we just think that it does?

Doesn't really matter though, its only a day..

4. Im sure it has some effect, idk how major though... if it does make your heart beat faster so what? so does any other active thing.

5. Yeah, but I can't explain my heart beating faster from 11pm to 1am lol.. Normally people would be sleeping then, unless you can think of an excuse guys?

6. You don't wanna smoke while wearing a Holter monitor. Smoking interacts with the part of your nervous system that controls your heart-rate and rhythm (your Autonomic Nervous System) - as well as all your other automatic bodily functions (respiration, salivation, digestion, etc.). Your heart has special nerve cells (called nodes) in different places in your heart, that are all regulated by your ANS. So when you smoke, you're affecting your ANS, which in-turn, affects your heart...

The following is taken from: http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1071198

<blockquote>Cannabis
    Pharmacology. Cannabis has a biphasic effect on the autonomic nervous system, depending on the dose absorbed.<sup>3</sup> Low or moderate doses can increase sympathetic and reduce parasympathetic activity, producing a tachycardia and an increase in cardiac output. In contrast, higher doses inhibit sympathetic and increase parasympathetic activity, resulting in bradycardia and hypotension. Reversible ECG abnormalities affecting the P and T waves and the ST segment have been reported.<sup>9</sup> It is not clear whether these changes occurred as a direct result of cannabis, independent of its effect on the heart rate.
    Clinical effects. Although supraventricular and ventricular ectopic activity can occur, life-threatening tachy- or bradyarrhythmias have not been reported. In patients with ischemic heart disease, cannabis increases the frequency of anginal symptoms at low levels of exercise. This occurs as a result of a drug-induced increase in heart rate and myocardial contractility that increases myocardial oxygen demand</blockquote>

7. Alright, thanks..

Pray for me.. Only got till 3:30pm tomorrow

:p

8. Taken from:http://www.temple.edu/heart/html/palpitations.html

Palpitations
    [SIZE=-1]What are palpitations? [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Palpitations are the sensation of a rapidly or irregularly beating heart. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]How do they occur? [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Palpitations can occur normally when your heart is working hard. For example, you might feel a rapid or irregular heartbeat when you have just exercised, have a fever, or are feeling anxious. At these times your heart may pump faster or increase the amount of blood it pumps with each beat. This is a normal response to lifting weights, walking up a hill, or becoming emotionally excited. Often you may not even notice this increased heart activity. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Medical conditions that can also cause palpitations include: [/SIZE]
    • [SIZE=-1]Anemia [/SIZE]
    • [SIZE=-1]Anxiety [/SIZE]
    • [SIZE=-1]Some thyroid problems [/SIZE]
    • [SIZE=-1]Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) [/SIZE]
    • [SIZE=-1]Mitral valve prolapse, a mild deformity of one of the valves in your heart [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]A very common cause of palpitations is the overuse of stimulants, including caffeine (coffee, tea, sodas), nicotine, diet pills, and medications such as decongestants. Accidental overdose of some medicines can cause palpitations. Examples of such medicines are theophylline, antidepressants, and thyroid hormone replacement. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Another less common cause of palpitations is a type of abnormal heartbeats called premature beats, PVCs (premature ventricular contractions), or ectopic beats. These are abnormal beats that are not a problem if they occur just once in a while. However, if they occur frequently or in sequence, they can lead to problems. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]What are the symptoms? [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Palpitations may feel like your heart is: [/SIZE]
    • [SIZE=-1] Jumping around your chest [/SIZE]
    • [SIZE=-1] Skipping a beat [/SIZE]
    • [SIZE=-1] Fluttering [/SIZE]
    • [SIZE=-1] Pounding [/SIZE]
    • [SIZE=-1] Racing [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Occasionally, you may feel lightheaded or short of breath when you have palpitations. Usually, however, palpitations occur without other symptoms. Generally they last for a few seconds to a few minutes. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]How is it diagnosed? [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Your medical history is important. Your health care provider will want to know: [/SIZE]
    • [SIZE=-1] When your palpitations occur [/SIZE]
    • [SIZE=-1] Whether any other symptoms are present [/SIZE]
    • [SIZE=-1] How long you have been having the palpitations [/SIZE]
    • [SIZE=-1] How long the palpitations last [/SIZE]
    • [SIZE=-1] If your symptoms get better or worse with certain activities [/SIZE]
    • [SIZE=-1] If you have been using any stimulants or medications [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Your health care provider will do a physical exam to check for possible cardiac and thyroid gland causes of palpitations. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]An electrocardiogram (ECG) helps rule out serious heart rhythm disturbances. This test measures the electrical activity of your heart. You may need to wear a Holter monitor (a portable ECG) for 24 to 72 hours. This gives your provider a chance to see the ECG pattern when you have symptoms. However, sometimes symptoms do not occur when you are wearing the monitor. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Sometimes an echocardiogram is done. An echocardiogram uses sound waves to show images of your heart on a computer. It is a way to check for structural problems that might be causing palpitations. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Your health care provider may test a sample of your blood for anemia and thyroid problems. Testing your blood sugar level may also be done. However, a test of your blood sugar level may be helpful only if the blood is drawn at the time you are having palpitations. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]How is it treated? [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Palpitations are treated by treating the underlying cause. Stimulant use and anxiety are the two most common causes of palpitations and can be hard to treat. It can be difficult for people to give up stimulants such as caffeine and nicotine. It is also sometimes hard to identify the source of anxiety. A combined approach of counselling and medication can be used to treat anxiety. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Diet is another possible cause. Your health care provider may suggest that you change your diet and see if the palpitations go away. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]If your palpitations persist and are frequent, or if they are producing significant symptoms, your health care provider may show you several physical maneuvers that may be used to slow your pulse without medication. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Your health care provider may prescribe medicine to take either at the time the palpitations occur or every day to prevent palpitations. It usually takes only a few hours for the medicine to start working. It may be possible to stop taking the medicine after a few months. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]How can palpitations be prevented? [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]The best way to prevent palpitations is to avoid overuse of stimulants, such as cigarettes or caffeine-containing coffee, tea, or soda. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-2]Written by Dee Ann DeRoin, M.D., for Clinical Reference Systems.[/SIZE]

9. I have heart-problems... Got the Holter monitor last year, and it came back with a lot of abnormalities... My palpitations are caused by PVC's (see the above article)... When the article talks about PVC's occurring in sequence, it's talking about the following:

Ventricular Bigenimy and Trigenimy (when every 2nd, or 3rd beat, respectively, is a PVC),

And...

Ventricular Couplets and Triplets (where there's 2, or 3 PVC's consecutively)

Hopefully your palpitations are benign, and nothing to worry about. But on the other hand, if it comes back as abnormal you'll be glad it was caught early.

10. I have no idea whether it would be good or not, BUT on the contrary to that, don't do cocaine otherwise you will probably die.

Just food for thought.

11. SVT?

I would refrain from smoking. don't do anything 'out of the normal' for your body. The idea is that they can review the monitor's tape and see what your heart is doing. Smoking pot can cause palpetations- I've had them from pot.

I used to have supra ventricular tachycardia as well.

EDIT: also, if your having palpitations, your doctor should know you smoke pot...

12. gee i wonder why

13. i have no idea about all the technical stuff but it sound like you shouldnt be blazing with this monitor thing on

14. Gee... I dunno... Maybe it's because I was BORN with Autonomic Dysfunction. A neurological disorder which disrupts ALL of your bodies automatic functions. Basically it throws your who body outta whack... All I need is a pacemaker, and I'll be fine :p

15. good luck Cottons, I hope you get everything you need to live a long, looooonng life :hello:

16. Thanks man... It's pretty crappy that I run the risk of dying at any time from Sudden Cardiac Death, but at least I live near one of the top heart hospitals in the US :D Hopefully I'll get insurance soon, and can get my operation, and move on with my life :)

17. I have Mitral Valve Prolapse and I had to wear one of those Halter Monitor things for 24 hours at the end of this past summer (because of some minor chest pains I was having). The monitor came back pretty much normal but lately (last few weeks) I've been having some heart palpitrations (like I can feel my heart beating while I'm at rest, and sometimes it feels sort of irregular). This doesn't happen all that often at all but I'm hoping I am okay...I'm guess the fact that I had the halter monitor and I saw my cardiologist just 2 or 3 months ago is reassuring.

18. Everyone experiences PVC's (palpitations) at one point or another. Most of the time you don't even realize you're having them because you're occupied with other shit and not paying attention. But since you're noticing them now, and didn't really notice them when you first got the holter monitor, I HIGHLY recommend that you tell your cardiologist of your NEW symptoms. Even holtor monitors don't detect all rhythm problems all the time. Some rhythm problems go undetected for a loooong time, as the only way to detect them is to have a monitor attached to you WHILE you're having symptoms. Your cardiologist might recommend something called an Event Monitor. This is something that doesn't record continuously, but rather, when you feel symptomatic, you press the button, and it records what's going on at that specific event. This monitor is worn for several weeks, as opposed to 24 hours for the standard Holtor.