Need LED Light Recommendation

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by lucian28, Dec 1, 2015.

1. I'm an absolute beginner who is interested in dipping my toe into the world of homegrown. For now, I'm only interested in growing 2 autoflower plants (super basic). If my initial attempt goes well, I may expand to a maximum of 4 plants. What type of LED light(s) should I purchase for this small/budget setup? (I'd like to spend less than $400 on the lights) Anyhow, I've read so much about LEDs that I find myself a bit overwhelmed. I could really use some straight forward advice. Any suggestions would be most welcome!

2. Id get the p300 off amazon if I were you

3. Here is something straight forward....go to ebay and get an Apollo 400w mh/hps kit with cool tube for like $125. Save the $$ and minimize the financial risk as a true first time grower. This allows you to have the space for up to your 4 plant possibilities.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

4. I totally agree with qbsillest...since you're just starting out and are on a small budget, go with the hps/mh combo. As far as the LEDs go, the ones that are really worth buying are quite expensive. If I only had a small amount of money, I would definitely want it to go as far as it could in getting me good bud. If you buy an LED, it's going to have to be one of those cheapos off Amazon or Ebay and as far as I'm concerned, they're not worth wasting your money on. They are made overseas with the absolute cheapest components with the cheapest labor they can possibly get. Those who have bought the super cheap lights generally cry about their poor performance. They flower just as nicely under hps and a very basic setup is going to cost you the majority of your budget anyway. Read around in the grow setup threads here for a better understanding of what you'll need for even a basic setup regardless of which light you choose to use. The hps/mh combo will cover both veg and flower and do it rather inexpensively. Good luck! TWW

5. Thanks Copper164. Quick follow up question. Am I correct in that the p300 would work for 2 plants and if I wanted to expand to 4 plants I would need to purchase a second unit?

6. Thank you qbsillest and The White WIdow! Really appreciate the advice. Quick follow up. Should I be concerned about heat with a hps/mh combo? I suspect not, but that was the reason I was considering an LED light (s).

7. Yes heat can be an but its inexpensive and easy to ventilate. Get the set up with the cool tube already. Then get an inline fan($150) and a little bit of 6" flexible ducting($15) and 6" clamps($2).....

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

8. Yea but those two plants will be real sense and fat, depending on space might be able to make 4 under one work